Help with crash sensor side airbag location G179

stratusair

TDI
05 Jetta TDI Wagon, 02 TDI Sedan, 06 Lib CRD, Kubota, Boeing 737
Asked this question a few days ago, but had no replies. If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

I have an 05 A4 with the airbag light on. Vag-com shows:
01221 crash sensor side airbag, drivers side(G179) 29-00 short to ground.

It looks like some have people have had luck with un-plugging and re-plugging the sensor itself. If anyone knows the location I will try this. Also if anyone has any suggestions on how else to clear, Location and how to replace sensor etc. I'm all ears. Thanks!

Oh, I should include, never been underwater, was rearended a few years ago-no airbags deployed.

update: Just tried the plugs under the seat with no effect.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I can't directly help you as I can't find where they sensor is or which exact airbag it is. There is a plug that goes up through your left tail light area. There is a plug there. They you have to lower the rear of your headliner (all the way to the rear seats) to reach the next plug in line. The one in the tail light area is the easiest to get to. We just unplugged them, put some di-electric grease in there and plugged in, cleared the codes and it didn't come back after that.

stratusair

TDI
05 Jetta TDI Wagon, 02 TDI Sedan, 06 Lib CRD, Kubota, Boeing 737
I can't directly help you as I can't find where they sensor is or which exact airbag it is. There is a plug that goes up through your left tail light area.

That doesn't sound too difficult. Do you think that would affect the front drivers side as well like my code says or just a rear sensor? I found plugs under the drivers seat which definately affect the airbags according to the vag-com, but not sure if they are the correct connectors. It made no difference but I didn't try any dielectric or cleaners yet. I'm thinking the actual sensor is located in the b-pillar behind the seat belt mech.

Thanks for your help!

iceman427

TDI
'96 Passat sedan, '00 Beetle
Sensor location

I have the same code and problem with an '01 jetta, took me a little bit to find. It is under the carpet in front of the seat floor brace in the MK4 rig. But while researching where mine was, I ran across an article complete with pictures for a '06 MK5 like yours. They showed it inside the drivers door behind the "inner" panel. Looks very involved to get to. Just a tip, it turned out to be a bad harness harness to the door on that car, wiring was broken badly. Couldn't find article or I would have posted a link. Best of luck!

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Air bag sensor

I have the same code and problem with an '01 jetta, took me a little bit to find. It is under the carpet in front of the seat floor brace in the MK4 rig. But while researching where mine was, I ran across an article complete with pictures for a '06 MK5 like yours. They showed it inside the drivers door behind the "inner" panel. Looks very involved to get to. Just a tip, it turned out to be a bad harness harness to the door on that car, wiring was broken badly. Couldn't find article or I would have posted a link. Best of luck!
MK4 & MK5 are different! MK5 has a recall on airbag harness. Light will come on but airbags will still work. Free recall but does not apply to MK 4s

skysteve

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
Hi I seem to have the same problem, 2006 Jetta, air bag light on, I scanned and this is what I got, 01638 passive/sporadic rear side airbag crash sensor drivers side G256 faulty. I cleared the fault,but it comes back after a few weeks, where is this crash sensor?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Hi I seem to have the same problem, 2006 Jetta, air bag light on, I scanned and this is what I got, 01638 passive/sporadic rear side airbag crash sensor drivers side G256 faulty. I cleared the fault,but it comes back after a few weeks, where is this crash sensor?

Google it and you'll get your answer. I think they are under the carpet.

skysteve

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
Hi, anybody know where the rear drivers side crash sensor is located on a 2006 Jetta tdi code G256 01638