water leak on driver side?

JimNorman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta sedan auto; 2003 Jetta wagon 4-speed
We had a really serious rainstorm, with amazingly strong winds last (Friday) night and today, and for the first time ever, a lot of water somehow got into my 2001 Jetta sedan and pooled up on the driver side floor. Mostly in the front, but some in the back as well. The fabric covering on the driver side A-piller was damp (not sopping wet) to the touch from top to bottom. There was an actual wet spot about an inch long toward the top of the A-pillar. Drops of water had run down the end of the dashboard where the fuse panel is located. The car has a sunroof that has never leaked before. I sopped up the water as well as I could with towels, but have not tried to start it yet, nor have I checked inside the fuse panel to see if it took a soaking.

Any thoughts about where and how the water could have found its way in, and what I can do to stop it from happening again, short of puttying up the sunroof? By the way, I have a 2003 Jetta wagon, also with a sunroof, that was parked right next to the 2001, and there was no water in the 2003.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
1.) Check the drain ends, "nipples", to see if they are clogged or stuck shut. The front ones are located in the front doors where the hinges are. You should see a black, rubber nipple sticking out near the hinge. Just squeeze it to see if it opens and if any water comes out. Some recommend just cutting the tip off so the drain stays open.

I don't remember where the drains for the rear of the car are. Sorry.

2.) Do a water test. Open your sunroof. CAREFULLY pour some water in each corner. See if it drains properly. If the clog is up higher in the line, thus not at the end, near the nipple, you will have to VERY CAREFULLY clean out the line.

Some do this with compressed air. Others use weed eater line. Whatever you use, just be VERY CAREFUL. You don't want to pull the line apart inside your headliner. That's a pain to get back together.

Try those 2 things. Should get you going in the right direction.

JimNorman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta sedan auto; 2003 Jetta wagon 4-speed
Mission accomplished

Thanks for the advice. Gave those nipples a squeeze and out squirted dirty water. Actually, I sort of happened on that solution while I was waiting for the forum to come back on line, and it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to open the tube ends permanently. Now that I see others do it, that's what I'll do

Thanks again.

Jim