Crash Sensor Side Airbag

pete_ski

I have a 2002 Jetta VR6 with 7200 miles, yes thats not a typo,its the wifes car. It just went out of warrany on 10/29/05. Guess what.... the airbag fault came on just the other day. I found a member of the TDI club
the vag-com. Ran the test this morning. Here are the results

Saturday, 17 December 2005, 08:22:22VAG-COM Version:
Release 504.-DControl Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605F

Component and/or Version: 04 AIRBAG VW6 0202 0004
Software Coding: 12340 Work Shop Code: WSC 000661
Fault Found:01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag;
Passenger Side (G180) 37-00 - Faulty

Anyone....Bueller......Bueller

Thanks

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Try locating the connector for it, unplug, and replug. Then clear the code. If it comes back, you'll have to have it professionally tended to.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Also, be aware, that if the airbag light is on, the whole system is probably deactivated.

Have you tried clearing the code allready?

-J

penclnck

compu_85 said:
Also, be aware, that if the airbag light is on, the whole system is probably deactivated.

-J
That is the great unknown.... I've never been able to get a solid answer from anyone at VW about that...

At any rate, sounds like the side impact sensor is crapped out for whatever reasons. It isn't all that hard to replace, it is located under the front end of the passenger seat, you will need to pull the carpet up some so you can snake your arm under there with a 10mm tool to remove the old sensor and install the new sensor. A little awk-a-ward but do-a-bull. Don't know about the cost of the sensor though.

I have my doubts the DTC would clear since it isn't listed as sporatic, but it never hurts to try.

pete_ski

Yes I did try to clear the code..did not work....Which connector is it? there are three......I have Power seats and heated seats. I called VWOA
and complained...They said to take to the stealer. If I have to unplug it
do I disconnect the battery? for how long? Also if I do replace it with a good one will the light go away? Thanks all for the input.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Compu_85>>if the airbag light is on, the whole system is probably deactivated.<<

Penclnck>>I've never been able to get a solid answer from anyone at VW about that<<

Wingnut and I were just talking about that last night... (BTW: Thanks for adjusting my timing!!!) I suspect that for liability reasons, unless there's a total airbag system shutdown (controller meltdown, electrical problems), they would not disable the entire airbag system because one part of it may be not functioning...

Yes, it would be nice to get a concrete answer from VW, but possibly for liability reasons, again, they won't confirm or deny anything...

Yuri.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
What does air bag module measuring block group 005 block 2 have for a value? And group 009 block 2?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Looking at that label file, it looks like turning off a spcific air bag is as simple as adapting the right block. Am I reading that correctly?

-J

pete_ski

Well here's what happened, Called VWOA they said considering the low miles and it was only out of warranty for two months thay fixed crash sensor no cost to me. Maybe there still hope for VW? Thanks for all the input. Looks like I'm going to be looking for a Bently's manual and Vag-com cable.

thanks

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
If anybody wants to disconnect an airbag (instead of getting punched in the upper extremities hard enough to break your neck) just unplug the airbag connector and plug in a small resistor. The value per experimenting on my 2004 Passat TDI needs to be between 1.8 and 2.2 ohms. The resistor's leads should be cut as short as practical, and then it should be snugged up to the connector with a bit of electrical tape.