2010 Golf TDI Slow to Start

jsalzl

TDI
2013 Jetta, 2010 Golf
I have a 2010 Golf with 118,000 miles on it. I have a tentative turn in date of December 15th. Here lies the problem. When the block is hot the car starts on the first crank, when the block is cold it spins for probably 10-20 seconds (this doesn't seem that long, but it feels like an eternity) before it catches. It's not the end of the world, but I live in Minnesota so we're quickly approaching cold weather and it's my wife's daily driver. I have already checked for codes using VCDS (no codes), I checked the intercooler on both sides for buildup (almost totally clear maybe 5 drops of water), and I’ve changed the fuel filter (absolutely clear no metal fragments and no deposits.) Does anyone have any ideas of what I should check for? My thought is that maybe glow plugs are going out, but I’m not ready to drop $300-$500 on a hunch, especially on a car I’m going to have for maybe two months. Does anybody have any ideas or things I should check?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Battery? or maybe you just need to clean and grease (dielectric grease) the battery connections. Are you always waiting for the glow plug light to go out? Even in the summer in NC, if I just jump in a crank, it will take a second or two longer to turn over than if I wait for the glow plug light to go out.

jsalzl

TDI
2013 Jetta, 2010 Golf
Battery? or maybe you just need to clean and grease (dielectric grease) the battery connections. Are you always waiting for the glow plug light to go out? Even in the summer in NC, if I just jump in a crank, it will take a second or two longer to turn over than if I wait for the glow plug light to go out.
I show good voltage, but it can't hurt to get a load test. Yeah i've even tried multi-cycling the glow plugs

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It sounds like it is the battery then. Even though it may show good, when they start to go, they go fast. I get about three to four years out of the battery on my diesels.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
10 to 20 seconds is a long time to crank before it starts. I don't think it is your battery. I vote glow plug(s)

jsalzl

TDI
2013 Jetta, 2010 Golf
I hope this isn't a type of warning shot from the fuel pump.
I panicked and thought the same thing. I checked the fuel filter right away for shards or debris and it was clean, so i think it's okay

Last edited:

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I dont know if it makes you feel better but you arn't the only one that gets the occasional long cranking session... Maybe everyone will make it to the buyback before its too late!

jsalzl

TDI
2013 Jetta, 2010 Golf
Finally got around to load testing the battery it passed with flying colors, . It smells like unburnt fuel while cranking idled poorly until its warmed up a bit. Would low glow plug performance trip a CEL? do these engines gum up valves? I'm not even sure what to check...