Mk6 DSG question

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I've noticed from time to time, my car stutters and doesn't really move when I put the DSG into reverse on the JSW. If I shift to neutral and back to reverse, then it works. Is this normal DSG behavior?

Personally, I hate the DSG, and had I fully known how to drive a manual when I bought the car, I wouldn't have even considered the DSG (my other 4 vehicles are all manuals).

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Ours was sluggish as we approached 40k miles but was a completely different beast after the DSG service. How long since your last DSG service?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Ours was sluggish as we approached 40k miles but was a completely different beast after the DSG service. How long since your last DSG service?
Only 15K. I've always been on time with my fluid changes, using either Pentosin or what I get from the VW dealer.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.....looking at a TDI replacement, VW's Alltrack appeals. 6M available 'early 2017'; DSG now.

What would you do? (based on your DSG experience).

ez

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
.....looking at a TDI replacement, VW's Alltrack appeals. 6M available 'early 2017'; DSG now.

What would you do? (based on your DSG experience).

ez
Me personally? I'd hold out for the 6MT. I think everyone unanimously agrees that the change intervals/cost of DSG fluid changes is a PITA.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I just serviced my DSG yesterday, 180,000 miles.

never had any issue with reverse or any other gear changes.

my engine and DSG are stock.

(the only reason I got the DSG was a wife who anticipated having to drive. this has never happened)

That being said, the DSG is a convenience to have in heavy stop and go traffic

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
No it's not normal. It might have something to do with the tune. You might have slipped the clutches and not know it.

I'm not a fan of the DSG either. If I go auto in the future, it will be a traditional auto. Chances are, it will be a manual. That was the first "non-truck" vehicle that we bought with an auto. As far as traffic........Atlanta is one of the worst, and a manual doesn't bother me.

Donald

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I think everyone unanimously agrees that the change intervals/cost of DSG fluid changes is a PITA.
Yet you are willing to change out a transmission because you don't like it? Talk about a PITA. You talk out of both ends at times. Not everyone here agrees unanimously......... only in your mind. As I posted in a previous thread read less think more.
A fool and his money are soon parted

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Mine has done something similar a couple of times. Many times it has done wierd brain fart things. It is the nature of the beast. Normally it is flawless so I don't worry...

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I've been driving manual transmission cars and light trucks longer than most of you have been on the planet.

I like the DSG very well, thank you. It's the best of both worlds. It is a manual transmission with all the benefits of direct connection - no slippage and efficiency but I don't have to shift it. It also gears down as the car slows providing a little assist to the service brakes.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I like the DSG very well, thank you. It's the best of both worlds.
As one sailor to another, what about the reported jerks/hesitation on initial low speed acceleration some here have reported?

I reckon dialing in my USNR $$$ would lessen the DSG 40k fluid change pain - - - - - - but seriously don't you hanker for a good clutch/synchro interface every now and then?

Fair winds,

ez

obd2

TDI
Golf MK6 Wagon 2,0 TDI
Hi TDI Members.
Have one question about DSG, it runs fine but when I intend to stop the car I hear a click 6->5->4->3 click ->2 or 2- click->1, I don't know exactly in wich speed! like AC starts runing. All DSG service I did it in time. (now 70.000 mile)
Is this normal DSG behavior?