Remote start from iphone

Astrand1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL premium
Hey all. First post here. Picking up a new to me certified 13 Passat SEL. Has the factory remote start on the fob. Has anyone found a add on module with lte that would allow one to start the car from phone? I got one for wife’s fusion from a company and it was plug and play. Just had to hook a harness up to the OBD2. Works great. I stumbled on what I think might be a similar system for the Passat from a company in Canada a few days ago but can’t find it now. Thoughts?

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Hey all. First post here. Picking up a new to me certified 13 Passat SEL. Has the factory remote start on the fob. Has anyone found a add on module with lte that would allow one to start the car from phone? I got one for wife’s fusion from a company and it was plug and play. Just had to hook a harness up to the OBD2. Works great. I stumbled on what I think might be a similar system for the Passat from a company in Canada a few days ago but can’t find it now. Thoughts?

It’s a pretty dumb concept. I have it on my truck via the factory app but I have literally NEVER been in a situation where I’ve found it useful. Yeah it impresses your friends but you’re not missing anything by not having it and I wouldn’t go through the trouble to find it.

Plus VWs turn off when you unlock the door anyway so...again, really dumb feature.

Astrand1

TDI
Thanks for the opinion. I would respectfully disagree as I’ve had that feature on my last 2 Cars and I can tell you that I have never used it to impress someone, I’m not 18. I could not give a sh!t less what anybody thinks. I however have used it many many times to start the car and cool or heat it. I am aware that they shut off when you open the door. That part is stupid. I’ve noticed that in this forum when someone asks about remote start they get destroyed. Why is that? This is my first vw so I’ve not been in this world very long. If someone has any useful insights to finding this please share. I don’t really need the opinions about how stupid or anything else. What you think is stupid I might like and visa versa. All due respect.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Don’t know about your other vehicles but the default HVAC setting is 70deg F when you remote start the vehicle...no matter the outside temp. So again, USELESS.

No idea why others get destroyed when they ask about remote start on here. It’s just something that I’ve NEVER found useful, EVER in my Passat.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I use the remote start via my phone and my Alexa for my 2020 Ram all the time. It’s great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Don’t know about your other vehicles but the default HVAC setting is 70deg F when you remote start the vehicle...no matter the outside temp. So again, USELESS.

No idea why others get destroyed when they ask about remote start on here. It’s just something that I’ve NEVER found useful, EVER in my Passat.
I'm not sure why your passat only remote starts with hvac at 70. Mine does it at full heat or full ac (not max), i've done it with other passats as well. Maybe if you leave your hvac on auto? But the default for auto on mine is 72 and i do not use auto.

I do use remote start in the winter and yes, it will warm up the car, just make sure the fan and heat are maxed out (fan with all lights lit up and heat on high). I've done it a few times for ac when it's hot outside, but putting down all the windows, tilting the sunroof, then turning the ac on max seems to work well for me to cool off the car.

Last edited:

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'm not sure why your passat only remote starts with hvac at 70. Mine does it at full heat or full ac (not max), i've done it with other passats as well. Maybe if you leave your hvac on auto? But the default for auto on mine is 72 and i do not use auto.

I do use remote start in the winter and yes, it will warm up the car, just make sure the fan and heat are maxed out (fan with all lights lit up and heat on high). I've done it a few times for ac when it's hot outside, but putting down all the windows, tilting the sunroof, then turning the ac on max seems to work well for me to cool off the car.

I’ve literally never been able to get it to start up remotely at any temp besides 70–trying all different settings. And personally, it’s never been worth the fuel burn to run the car a few minutes before getting to it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Such little heat is generated at idle that it's pointless for winter start up (sure you could use heated seats but again IMO, pointless even at -5F temps as they heat up in 2-3 min).

As for AC in summer times, meah, I'm not that much of a sally that needs the cabin at precisely 68F when I get into it, I use remote windows down via fob too cool the hot cabin down as I walk to the car.

As for adding phone functionality to a Passat, you need to remember the platform hasn't really changed since 2012 when they were introduced, hard to compare it to a new 2020 Ram.

I think you may be interested in new Tiguans or Atlas's as they have the carlink remote app via phone, they are more americanized providing creature comforts the american public find nice.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Such little heat is generated at idle that it's pointless for winter start up (sure you could use heated seats but again IMO, pointless even at -5F temps as they heat up in 2-3 min).

As for AC in summer times, meah, I'm not that much of a sally that needs the cabin at precisely 68F when I get into it, I use remote windows down via fob too cool the hot cabin down as I walk to the car.

As for adding phone functionality to a Passat, you need to remember the platform hasn't really changed since 2012 when they were introduced, hard to compare it to a new 2020 Ram.

I think you may be interested in new Tiguans or Atlas's as they have the carlink remote app via phone, they are more americanized providing creature comforts the american public find nice.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess my passat must be different because with the heat turned to high, the fan at full speed and the recirculation fan on, my car does warm up at idle in the teens or less in nc. I just have to remember to max the hat and fan out before turning the car iff the night before, i do not use the auto setting on my hvac.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
2014 have an electric grid heater, 2015 do not. Granted yeah some warmish air will come out of the vents on our 15 (different coolant loops) but by no means will the oil or the rest of the engine warm up substantially by idling unless for over 20 min.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 have an electric grid heater, 2015 do not. Granted yeah some warmish air will come out of the vents on our 15 (different coolant loops) but by no means will the oil or the rest of the engine warm up substantially by idling unless for over 20 min.
That makes a big difference, glad i have a 14.

Astrand1

TDI
So I have done some digging and in fact there is a solution. Fortin makes a t-harness that should enable this to be plug n play. (No wire cutting) they have a module, which will from what I am reading will keep the car running even when the doors are opened and then car link which is a telematics module connects to it and will allow starting from a smartphone as well as location of the car popping trunk and locking unlocking door. Think basic onstar functions. I will update as I get more info for those who might be interested. I will also do a video of the install assuming I move forward with this project.

AllanJJ

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Kind of unrelated, but I found loads of customization for the kessey system with my OBDeleven. I think you can customize the climatronic response with remote start as well. I know you can make it so you can use the remote and outside door handles to lock the car while it’s running (after you’ve started it). I would keep finding more features if my CCM didn’t crap out on me. I can no longer access the module otherwise I’d still be looking for more.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I use remote start at temps below 20F for a few minutes. I’m a get in and go guy.

The remote start will not work if you have and fault codes, mil light or not. Good luck, John

gh0stdylan

TDI
none yet
So...I have a 14 SEL. I have never been able to get the remote start to work. Is there a trick or something I'm missing?

I can't get the seats to save my position either now that I'm thinking about it.