Timing belt this weekend!!

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
Ok guys I finally ordered the timing belt kit and tools from Id parts. I’m gonna spend the next few days reading up on it so this goes as smooth as possible as I’ve never done it before. Any tips or tricks before I dive in? Thanks!

2003 golf tdi 5 speed 196k miles

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Read thru the instructions twice. Forget all prior knowledge of gas engines with marks, it's different. Take care with the process for the motor mounts, seems to be what gives most some trouble.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Before installing the belt make sure the IP pulley is centered and the bolts are snug. As you put the belt on loosen the bolts and turn the pulley so it slips into the tooth of the belt. Make sure you set the tensioner before tightening the IP bolts and torquing the cam flywheel.
Those seem to be the parts people mess up the most.

As stated before read the how to twice, then read it again and print it out so it's handy.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Quick read through of the first part to where he installs the engine support I notice two big things that are important.
At least one I believe is important, disconnect the down pipe from the turbo before installing the engine support. Otherwise, you will damage the stainless flex. All me how I know.
Second, new bolts are not mentioned, nor sitting on the table in the picture. They are one time use bolts.
Continuing to read, lock the crank before releasing the tensioner and pin the IP.
Reading on I see why he didn't install the crank lock before. If you intend to replace the crank seal I recommend breaking the crank bolt loose before taking anything apart. Put a breaker bar on a 12 point socket and wedge it against the ground then bump the starter. Remove the wire to the shut off solenoid before hand to prevent it from starting.
He doesn't loosen the IP and turn it to the right when he installs the TB however he does have the pump centered, not sure if he mentions it. If you don't do this it'll often throw the pump of a tooth and mess with timing adjusting. That's been my experience anyhow.

Overall, not a bad write up and very similar to the PDF I posted above. They both leave out the IP pulley turning part and centering it before installing the TB is left out of the PDF.
I like having the PDF on hand when doing it. Yes even though I've done it before. How long it takes to put 100kmi on a car leaves a lot to be remembered, and small things are easily forgotten.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
Quick read through of the first part to where he installs the engine support I notice two big things that are important.
At least one I believe is important, disconnect the down pipe from the turbo before installing the engine support. Otherwise, you will damage the stainless flex. All me how I know.
Second, new bolts are not mentioned, nor sitting on the table in the picture. They are one time use bolts.
Continuing to read, lock the crank before releasing the tensioner and pin the IP.
Reading on I see why he didn't install the crank lock before. If you intend to replace the crank seal I recommend breaking the crank bolt loose before taking anything apart. Put a breaker bar on a 12 point socket and wedge it against the ground then bump the starter. Remove the wire to the shut off solenoid before hand to prevent it from starting.
He doesn't loosen the IP and turn it to the right when he installs the TB however he does have the pump centered, not sure if he mentions it. If you don't do this it'll often throw the pump of a tooth and mess with timing adjusting. That's been my experience anyhow.
Overall, not a bad write up and very similar to the PDF I posted above. They both leave out the IP pulley turning part and centering it before installing the TB is left out of the PDF.
I like having the PDF on hand when doing it. Yes even though I've done it before. How long it takes to put 100kmi on a car leaves a lot to be remembered, and small things are easily forgotten.

Good stuff thank you! Hopefully this goes at least decent. This car seems to fight me. Although I got the ac fixed smoothly.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Good stuff thank you! Hopefully this goes at least decent. This car seems to fight me. Although I got the ac fixed smoothly.
She's not fighting you, she wants you to show her you'll take care of her.
And it's a VW so they can be finicky, but once you get her right, she'll test you well.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Like you got the wrong one, or maybe not the one I use, try this and compare them. Then print this one for the job.
http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

And search here from now on.
https://cse.google.com/cse?q=+&cx=018097697432185261444:_idbzjdyxdm

Here it the tdiclub version of the how to.

As far as the one you posted, it's good, but here are some things I noted.

Step 9 - You only need to remove the pancake hose from the intercooler side, not both.

Step 17 - Engine support brace. From my experience, and I have done about 50 of them and I am not a mechanic doing this as a job, you will find it waaay easier to use the hydraulic jack with a piece of 2x4 to lift and lower the engine from the oil pan. The pan will support the weight if spread out like that.

Plus, turning those big screws on the brace creates dust/metal particles from the wear between the nut and washer that aim for the cam and liters. Yeah. no bueno.

Step 22 - You will want to remove the harmonic pulley off first before dealing with bracket. I take the pulley and belt covers while the bracket is still on. I don't usually remove the bracket out entirely; it just sits down and mostly out of the way.

I would have an extractor kit ready during this phase. I find these bolts are often overtorqued and can be difficult to get off. Usually there is the one bolt that refuses to budge.

Step 32 - Water pump removal. It didn't go into any detail on removal, but i would recommend you back out the three 10 mm bolts about halfway. Then use a slightly angled pry bar to pry up on the pully using the bolt heads as the fulcrum point. Just work your way around and it will walk out of the bore. Have a catch pan because there will be more water spilling.

Step 34 - Inspect the surface of the water pulley hole. I use scotchbrite to clean up the surface. Often there is the blank residue of previous orings, and god forbid, any RTV. You don't use sealant on this.

Step 37 - Crankshaft seal - this is not part of a timing belt service.

Step 40
- Camshaft seal - Nothing was even said on how to. It's not anything like doing the crankshaft seal.
1) Remove the end camshaft cap by carefully removing the two 13mm nuts.
2) tap and pry up the cap evenly off the studs.
3) Push out the seal
4) clean the nose of the camshaft of any oil
5) If are using a conventional seal lightly lubricate the camshaft part where the seal will go. If you are using a teflon seal, don't lubricate it and install it using the plastic tool that comes with it.
6) Install cap and torque nuts to 15ft lbs.

Step 41 - Don't install the two small rollers just yet. You can do this after the belt is on, but prior to getting the tension set.

Step 48 - The how to never mentions the tensioner tab should go in the square hold behind it. Failure to do that can cause the tensioner to lose its ability to tension AND worse, it will not be able to apply the correct tension.

Step 49 - The consensus is to torque this to 38ft lbs nowadays. The cam can handle it and it will ensure no slippage.

Step 50 - before you install the vacuum pump you will want to do the steps in Step 51 first because you will need to have the pump off to actually put the cam plate back on to see if you have everything aligned correctly.

Step 53
- I have never tried to put the mount back in after I have all of the belt done. I have had it sort of in place but not in the way while I tension everything up.

Last edited:

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
Here it the tdiclub version of the how to.

As far as the one you posted, it's good, but here are some things I noted.

Step 9 - You only need to remove the pancake hose from the intercooler side, not both.

Step 17 - Engine support brace. From my experience, and I have done about 50 of them and I am not a mechanic doing this as a job, you will find it waaay easier to use the hydraulic jack with a piece of 2x4 to lift and lower the engine from the oil pan. The pan will support the weight if spread out like that.

Plus, turning those big screws on the brace creates dust/metal particles from the wear between the nut and washer that aim for the cam and liters. Yeah. no bueno.

Step 22 - You will want to remove the harmonic pulley off first before dealing with bracket. I take the pulley and belt covers while the bracket is still on. I don't usually remove the bracket out entirely; it just sits down and mostly out of the way.

I would have an extractor kit ready during this phase. I find these bolts are often overtorqued and can be difficult to get off. Usually there is the one bolt that refuses to budge.

Step 32 - Water pump removal. It didn't go into any detail on removal, but i would recommend you back out the three 10 mm bolts about halfway. Then use a slightly angled pry bar to pry up on the pully using the bolt heads as the fulcrum point. Just work your way around and it will walk out of the bore. Have a catch pan because there will be more water spilling.

Step 34 - Inspect the surface of the water pulley hole. I use scotchbrite to clean up the surface. Often there is the blank residue of previous orings, and god forbid, any RTV. You don't use sealant on this.

Step 37 - Crankshaft seal - this is not part of a timing belt service.

Step 40
- Camshaft seal - Nothing was even said on how to. It's not anything like doing the crankshaft seal.
1) Remove the end camshaft cap by carefully removing the two 13mm nuts.
2) tap and pry up the cap evenly off the studs.
3) Push out the seal
4) clean the nose of the camshaft of any oil
5) If are using a conventional seal lightly lubricate the camshaft part where the seal will go. If you are using a teflon seal, don't lubricate it and install it using the plastic tool that comes with it.
6) Install cap and torque nuts to 15ft lbs.

Step 41 - Don't install the two small rollers just yet. You can do this after the belt is on, but prior to getting the tension set.

Step 48 - The how to never mentions the tensioner tab should go in the square hold behind it. Failure to do that can cause the tensioner to lose its ability to tension AND worse, it will not be able to apply the correct tension.

Step 49 - The consensus is to torque this to 38ft lbs nowadays. The cam can handle it and it will ensure no slippage.

Step 50 - before you install the vacuum pump you will want to do the steps in Step 51 first because you will need to have the pump off to actually put the cam plate back on to see if you have everything aligned correctly.

Step 53
- I have never tried to put the mount back in after I have all of the belt done. I have had it sort of in place but not in the way while I tension everything up.

Wow 50! I watched some videos tonight. I feel a lot better about doing it now. I know this is going to sound like I’m a moron but I’m gonna ask anyway. When I was having turbo issues when I bought the car I was trying to take the pancake tube off. I do t know if it had factory clamps or if their something else but for the life of me I couldn’t get them off to get the tube off. It’s not like I’m not mechanical but I actually gave up on it last time I tried. Maybe I was frustrated beyond the point I’m not sure but is their anything I’m missing?

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
My parts are supposed to be in tomorrow so I think after work I’m gonna hit it. Probably be a long night.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Lol, it's perfectly normal to have difficulties the first time. At the end there's a metal clip holding it to the hose. You have to find the void and use a screwdriver to pull it out until it lets go. Should stay about half way out and it lets go real easy.

I don't recommend making a long night of it. Take it apart to the point you're about to take the timing belt apart and come back fresher in the morning.
Trust me, you're better off with a fresh mind.

Last edited:

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
Sounds good hopefully it dosent take me forever. I’ll be happy if the car starts though hahaha.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
A tip. Put some rtv gasket maker on the arpund the bold head right before you send them all the way in and the backside of any threads that pass through to the other side. There are a few on the water pump. Makes removal easy as it cant oxidize. Just for the warerpump as it tends to bind bolts!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
My parts are supposed to be in tomorrow so I think after work I’m gonna hit it. Probably be a long night.
Once you remove the 10 mm nut attaching the pipe to the frame, then it's a matter of removing one of the clamps that hold it to the short section of hose off the intercooler. You can use channel locks or something like this. They are racheting hose clamp pliers that allow you access the clamp even if they are on in an inaccessible way for channel lock pliers. At that point I just twist the pancake pipe and it comes right off.

Another tool you ought to consider is this. It is very helpful to get the two valve cover bolts under the intake/EGR area.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
A tip. Put some rtv gasket maker on the arpund the bold head right before you send them all the way in and the backside of any threads that pass through to the other side. There are a few on the water pump. Makes removal easy as it cant oxidize. Just for the warerpump as it tends to bind bolts!
I don't know if my experience is different but I have never had any of the water pump bolts ever give up any resistance. The bolts are coated with black paint of some sort anyway.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Depends on lots of factors but a small smearing on the back of any open thread cant hurt anything and has always been a good idea. Especially on dissimilar metals or anything iron

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
Ok here’s where I’m at now. I got maybe 4 hours into it so far. I got the cam lock,injection pump pin and crank lock in. The old belt is off. My serpentine belt tensioner strut thing is leaking so I should probly a dress that as well. I hope I can find one locally tomorrow as I don’t want my hellcat outside very long lol. Too many punk kids around. I haven’t taken the water pump out yet. Once I put the baby to bed I’m probly gonna go back out there and do the water pump.

So far the only issues I’ve really had was a valve cover bolt stripping so I drilled the head off and got the bolt out. Also the bolt under the vacuum pump was inaccessible with a 13mm wrench. You could get on it but we’re unable to turn. I bought a 10mm offset per the guide but it’s a 13mm: so I took the coolant manifold thing off and used a deep socket to get to the bottom bolt.

I think it’s going good so far......fingers crossed

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I wanna post a pic of the cam orientation but can’t figure out how on here.
It's weird. It's basically a different website that's not a different website: http://pics.tdiclub.com

Took me 4 days when I did mine. Not 4 long days. But 4 days of do a few hours, figure out how to do the next few hours and so on. Hopefully you have VCDS?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It's weird. It's basically a different website that's not a different website: http://pics.tdiclub.com

Took me 4 days when I did mine. Not 4 long days. But 4 days of do a few hours, figure out how to do the next few hours and so on. Hopefully you have VCDS?
It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, however, I find it easiest to upload quickly with tapatalk from my phone.
Then I can go to the link above and import the pictures in the thread.
Quick posts that don't have to stick around are done in a few seconds with tapatalk...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but I have never removed the Down Pipe from the Turbo as part of a TB change job. As others stated, I use a floor jack with a "special" cut piece of 2X4 in the slot of the oil pan and let the engine down quite far..... far enough to remove the engine mount bracket.

Like Jokila, I've probably changed 50 TBs on ALH engines and never damaged a Down Pipe.

Suggestion ....... deleted as job has already commenced.

Patience is your friend.......... As I've grown into older age, I make it a two day job starting about 10:00 am and quitting around 5:30 pm each day. I use to start at 8:00 am and not quit until the job was done about 7 to 10 hours later, just depending how many interruptions I have during the process or stripped out bolts ...:D

Last edited:

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
I’m wrapping it up for the night now lol. I can’t seem to adjust the tensioner according to the pdf. It says to line up the tooth and groove and their not even close. If I try to turn it a lot then the tab that holds it in place comes out of the hole and spins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk