www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old April 15th, 2013, 09:12   #1
msantram
Veteran Member

Default CPO Owners - Trouble getting service records from dealer?

Has anyone with a CPO VW had any issues getting their car's complete service records from the dealer? My dealer's service manager was refusing to give me the complete records citing privacy protection to the previous owner. I understand that, but it seems a bit disingenuous of VW to block historical access.

My '11 JSW is a CPO, but I still wanted to see exactly what work was done and when. I pushed back a bit and he's willing to give me the VW copy of maintenance. I'll thank him with a six pack.

Just curious to know if any other CPO owners out there have had similar pushback when asking for the complete records.
msantram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:25   #2
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

sounds suspicious... there are others that get service records from dealer when not buying a car thru dealer. maybe just that dealer. take VIN to another dealer and ask for records. I probably wouldn't trust that dealer to give you complete records now because it sounds like they might be hiding something.

of course I have been accuses of being paraniod before. I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:50   #3
South Coast Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good

When I registered at http://(dealerwebaddress).myvehiclepage.com I was able to see all work done at that dealer. Maybe that will help you?
South Coast Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:03   #4
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantram View Post

refusing to give me the complete records citing privacy protection to the previous owner.

Well, it is the law.

Maybe they could make you a copy and black out the previous owner's personal info.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 14:38   #5
03_01_TDI
Banned

TDI(s): Na

^ link to that "law".
03_01_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 19:02   #6
msantram
Veteran Member

@jetlagmech - that's what I thought. felt a bit dirty to me.

@dogparkguy - thx. tried my dealer's ahem in that url, seems to be down.

@dieseldorf - I suggested that too, seems logical & the right/nice thing to do. someone out there must have stalked their car's previous owner.

@03_01_TDI - happy to report that my dealer's service manager did give me the vw copy of maintenance. which is actually ALL that i really wanted/needed. it's got every service line item and the tech notes.

the funny thing is that the previous owner took immaculate care of my car. so much so that just by reading the notes, I appreciate every time he took it in. I'm sure one day I'll somehow meet the guy at the dealership and I would do is show him what mods I made and buy him a beer.

p.s. I took in a pizza for the service guys. Amazing what a simple gesture will do to lighten someone's disposition.
Old April 15th, 2013, 19:10   #7
msantram
Veteran Member

p.p.s For anyone buying a pre-owned car. I've learned two invaluable things, which I'm more than sure most everyone here already knows.

1) If you're buying a car that's seen some winters, take a hammer with you when you go see the car. then get on your back and move yourself underneath the car. with a flashlight in one hand, and the hammer in the other. tap on the on the frame and see if any "rust dust" falls. If it's enough to cover a cake, run (don't walk) away from the deal.

2) always always, get everything you want before you sign on the dotted line. the service records, mud flaps, floor mats, a keychain, mug, or whatever else you really want. walking away from a deal right when you're about to sign on the dotted line is always your best point of leverage.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:25   #8
STRANGETDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantram View Post
p.s. I took in a pizza for the service guys. Amazing what a simple gesture will do to lighten someone's disposition.
I had a plan to do this after my 30,000 mile service is completed. So far they have treated me very well...a couple of pizzas can't hurt.

I usually do my own routine maintenance after the care free intervals are over, but may get my parts from the dealer until my extended warranty is over, just to still have friendly presence at the dealer.
OLD: 1999.5 Golf GL TDI,Up'd,.216s,17 OZ Rims,Eibach Pro-Kit&Dampers,TT SS 2.5" Exst. 222,000 - Sold to Rossman83
STRANGETDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 13:20   #9
South Coast Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good

Have you asked the previous owner to retrieve the records for you?
South Coast Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 14:59   #10
msantram
Veteran Member

@strangetdi - totally agree. my dad always told me that no matter where you work, to always make friends with the support staff. they are the lifeblood that keeps work moving or not. i forget who reminded me of this on TDIClub.

@dogparkguy - i don't know who he is, though i wouldn't be surprised if he was a member here!

anyone here trade in an '11 tempest blue JSW in dec? :-)