2.0L Biturbo

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Very excited about this engine and would love to see the "guts" of one in-person. I do have to wonder though, how much of an improvement will it be over the current 170hp 2.0l CR TDI? For running so much boost and having sequential turbos, torque seems kind of weak. The current 170hp TDI has 258 lb-ft (I'm assuming limited to that figure because of the current 350nm transmission torque limit that VW's current A-platform cars use) if memory serves me well. It would be sweet if VW were to follow Mercedes-Benz's footsteps and up the CC's a bit and get something like they do out of their new 4-cylinder TT diesel; i.e., 204hp and 370 lb-ft. But, if 200hp versions of this new 2.0l bi-turbo TDI are on the way, I assume that decent torque increases will be had as well. Particularly since VW's new DSG transmission can hold a lot more torque than the current iterations can.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
Wow that translation is horrible. Just the title, lol, the space miracle in a new engine, instead of, With. Ah well. Word has it the Tiguan will be getting this engine with it's refresh for 2011.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Trooper81 said:
Wow that translation is horrible...
That's because it's translated German to English word for word.

I used to work with bunch of Dutch Fokker Aircraft Designers. One Dutchman used to ask as us men "Hoe lang ben je?" - How long are you?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Very excited about this engine and would love to see the "guts" of one in-person. I do have to wonder though, how much of an improvement will it be over the current 170hp 2.0l CR TDI? For running so much boost and having sequential turbos, torque seems kind of weak.
They probably didn't want to run that much boost in this application (the T5 van is pretty heavy, Amarok too, the twin turbo has 163 hp in the Amarok)
Everybody else's twin turbo diesels (Fiat 1.9, BMW 2.0, Mercedes 2.1) are around 100 hp/l - we'll probably see a more powerful version of the BiTDI in the GTD or a quick Passat soon.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
I don't find this info in the article, but I suspect the bi-turbo setup makes it possible to achieve the 400Nm torque over a wide rpm range, while still keeping low BSFC (high thermal efficiency).

Peak power is not what Transporter drivers look for, but torque and fuel efficiency over a wide rpm range.

When they put this engine in a more sporty vehicle (Passat CC perhaps, or Golf GTD) I guess we'll see higher power figures too (in the 200Hp ramnge).

agdtec

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2000 blk
T_D_I_POWER said:
That's because it's translated German to English word for word.

I used to work with bunch of Dutch Fokker Aircraft Designers. One Dutchman used to ask as us men "Hoe lang ben je?" - How long are you?
You never know he might have been asking just that :eek: