www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 31st, 2003, 13:19   #1
volvopunk
Veteran Member

Default Re: Car groans/whistles when going into 1st gear...

It did it even after the car warmed up the other day.

(have only driven it twice since then)

Sunday, the battery died. The car wouldn't crank over.. So I jump started the car. This is when it first happened.

I have no idea what it is, since it is more of a mechanical problem than electric.

But I was curious if any of you have had it happen.

it's 35 degrees F here today, so it's not nearly as cold as weather I have driven it in previously...
volvopunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 14:45   #2
zanzabar

That sounds an awful lot like an alternator problem. If your battery is dead, that probably means that the alternator is shot. However, I can't tell you how to diagnose or test this hypothesis. Someone here will tell you. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My car also whines a bit when it's cold out, and I'm assuming it has to do with the alternator (as I've read on other threads). [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
zanzabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 21:05   #3
volvopunk
Veteran Member

If the alternator truly does make a sound under load, it could be that since my battery was low, it was working overtime, to charge it back up.

It quit doing it now again.

Tonight at the GTG, I had my car hooked up to a Vag-Com, and no fault codes were thrown, so I'm resting a little easier.

I never knew an alternator could make a low pitched whistle/groan type noise like that.

(this isn't the sound of a belt slipping.. more like the sound of a vaccuum line or something vacuum operated)

use your mouth, pucker, and whistle at a low pitch.

That's what it sounded like.
Old February 1st, 2003, 00:10   #4
volvopunk
Veteran Member

Default Car groans/whistles when going into 1st gear...

This just started Sunday.. When I shift into 1st gear and get rolling the car lets out a little whistle/groan type sound.

What could be the cause of this? It doesn't do it in other gears.
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old February 1st, 2003, 00:49   #5
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

Maybe it's cold and tired.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 13:47   #6
volvopunk
Veteran Member

I'm bumping this because my car did it again. (and i just bought a new battery which is holding a charge, about two weeks ago)

It seems that it happens when it's really cold (~ 10 degrees F)

As i let out the clutch and apply the fuel pedal, i get this low pitched, hollow whistle sound.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the alternator, slipping belts, etc.. it sounds like a whistle from the movement of air.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 14:21   #7
oldpoopie

just a thought, check the intake track. IE Airfilter and snowscreen. That and check the turbo hoses etc for loose or cracked hoses.
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 22:40   #8
AndyH96Z
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/48/43

Quote:
If the alternator truly does make a sound under load, it could be that since my battery was low, it was working overtime, to charge it back up.

I never knew an alternator could make a low pitched whistle/groan type noise like that.

When an alternator dies, it makes a low moaning sound. Sounds like you've got a dead alternator. It's happened to me too many times...

-A
AndyH96Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:28   #9
volvopunk
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:

When an alternator dies, it makes a low moaning sound. Sounds like you've got a dead alternator. It's happened to me too many times...

-A
It's not dead, persay.. The battery is still being charged up. The headlamps/fog lamps are bright as I drive down the road at night.

I'll try turning on the AC at night and looking for some noticible dimming of the lights...

The noise does not happen in any other gear than first. And it does not happen when it is above 15 degrees F.

Old March 4th, 2003, 09:08   #10
mailman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/50/37

Could it be the clutch? My car used to make a groan/rubbing sound as I release the clutch from a stop. Once moving through the remaining gears, the noise is not present. Clutch did this for a couple of months. Whatever it was, it apparently fixed itself because it doesn't do it any more.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 14:54   #11
CmdrData
Veteran Member

Quote:
As i let out the clutch and apply the fuel pedal, i get this low pitched, hollow whistle sound.

... it sounds like a whistle from the movement of air.
That sounds like the turbo spinning to me, cuz I can hear whistling noise from exhaust tip with car parked and -20 degree outside.
CmdrData is offline   Reply With Quote