Alignment Numbers Help

Aportis72

TDI
2003 golf tdi
Hi everyone,
I got new tires on my BBS RCs from a GLI and then got an alignment. I have done a bunch of reading, but want your thoughts on my numbers. My old tires had extreme wear on the inside edge of the front wheels. What do you all think of the numbers below. Do I want to have more negative camber I have some adjustment with the TT ball joints.

My car is a 2003 2 door Golf TDI with a few modifications. I have Audi TT LCA/spindles with all new components. Ball joints, hubs/ bearings, tie rods, bushings. I also have Bilstein HD shocks with Kerma “shine racing springs” front/rear. I also have new motor mounts all around, 6 speed O2M from dark side with Raxles, and Audi TT brakes front and rear. So a lot of things have been changed in the suspension/ drive train. Just for reference.

Thank you

upload images

Last edited:

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I would want to get the toe set as close to 0 as possible. Toe is what is going to cause the most wear. If you wanted to try and adjust the caster, it can be done but there is not much adjustment.

As for numbers wise, if it’s green then it should be good! Your cross camber is out a touch, but possibly within limit when your in the car. If you can find someone willing and you wanted to try and fix the caster, it involves moving the subframe!

If it drives straight and handles like you want though, I’d leave it. How many miles did you get out of your last set of tires, do you do hard cornering, how often do you rotate the tires? These and other factors will effect your tire wear, including air pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Aportis72

TDI
2003 golf tdi
I can go back to Firestone (got to love lifetime alignments) and have them try and get toe to 0. Should I have them mess with the ball joints for camber first? Or leave it alone?

I have read about the caster and subframe, but if I move it one way left or right one side will go up and one side will go down correct? So the best I can hope for is about 6.8 on the cross caster?

I’m not looking for performance I’m looking for best tire wear and fuel economy. I do not corner hard haha.

Previous tires came on the BBS RCs and were some junk winter tires that I drove for about 15k miles just to use the rubber on them until I got new tires. They had lots of wear on the front inside edge. I plan on rotating in the X pattern every 10k miles at oil change.

Last edited:

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I can go back to Firestone (got to love lifetime alignments) and have them try and get toe to 0. Should I have them mess with the ball joints for camber first? Or leave it alone?

I have read about the caster and subframe, but if I move it one way left or right one side will go up and one side will go down correct? So the best I can hope for is about 6.8 on the cross caster?

I’m not looking for performance I’m looking for best tire wear and fuel economy. I do not corner hard haha.

Previous tires came on the BBS RCs and were some junk winter tires that I drove for about 15k miles just to use the rubber on them until I got new tires. They had lots of wear on the front inside edge. I plan on rotating in the X pattern every 10k miles at oil change.

I don’t think you have enough movement to do anything with the caster. The camber is a personal preference, and would need to be adjusted before the toe. Anything you change effects the toe, so it is always the last thing adjusted.

I thought that looked like firestone report, got one in my car too!

Mines going back for re-alignment after settling in from new suspension I did 2 months ago.

Aportis72

TDI
2003 golf tdi
For the camber would it be better to be closer to 0 or -1. Again not look for performance looking for best tire wear to prevent inside edge wear.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
For the camber would it be better to be closer to 0 or -1. Again not look for performance looking for best tire wear to prevent inside edge wear.

Camber will effect cornering more than wear. I’ve run -1 deg camber for 40k and tires are wearing even on multiple models of VW. I prefer the negative camber personally, if you want the tire straight up and down, go close to zero.

Since your rear is sitting right about your max - camber, setting the front about the same should ride and corner nicely without inside tire wear.

Last edited:

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
[/url][/IMG]

I like these much better.

They didn’t post, interested in seeing your numbers now, I’m scheduled to go next Thursday to get mine checked again after the new suspension has settled in!