01 ALH RC4 Coolant disappearing issue

TDI_Nate_

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI Black Uni, Non-sunroof, 6-speed
Hi all,

So my Rocketchip stage 4 tuned ALH has been making coolant disappear for sometime now but very very slowly. However last night I think we had something happen to speed it up but I'm not sure what. I know I'm running boost close to lifting the head, 24-25psi, but I have soot clogging vanes issues in the winter where it'll spike up to 27ish or higher psi although I back right out of it when that happens. I do not have ARP head studs as a side note. But what would cause coolant to be pushed out of the expansion bottle overflow tube? I believe that is where it all went/came from upon inspection (also brand new coolant bottle). In just an hour of driving and only flogging it like twice it emptied my expansion tank. Oil is not milky or frothy, coolant is not sooty or black, also within last few months I refreshed the coolant with new VW g13 (although in the three months I've had my new coolant bottle it's gotten darker and maybe dirtier?) Car still runs great, pulls hard, makes 24-25 psi all day in any gear. Do we think maybe it's head gasket and ARP time or maybe another issue. I'll be pressure testing the coolant system and cylinders/head this weekend. Also side note it is fully deleted so no egr cooler or anything.

Thanks

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I went through this on my car, I’m running sprint 520’s with a Malone stage 3 tune.
I started blowing coolant out at 392,xxx miles....I tried the ARP bolt swap out as recommended above , it did slow it down but didn’t stop it.
My ultimate fix was to replace my head , use MLS head gasket and the ARP bolt set.
My head was old and tired with a broken GP.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
I figured that was the diagnosis. I'll still run the tests this weekend but I'm already preparing to do the HG and put ARP's in there. I'll report my findings later. Thanks and let me know anything else you all think of.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
How many miles on your head?
I would check it for warpage before I would put it on.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
To my knowledge 274 thousand and change. I don't see any signs of the head ever being changed. I will do so if it's coming off.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That head will need to be rebuilt. And don't bother with a pressure tester, they don't go high enough to mimic what the combustion pressures are... not even close. Besides, all you'd do anyway is push coolant into the cylinders.

Good time to refresh the sticking turbocharger, too.

Note: make sure the injectors get stored submerged in some sort of fluid (diesel, motor oil, ATF, whatever) so they will still work when you go back together.