AC Troubleshooting

BlueOvalKid

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
2001 Beetle TDI - Automatic

Trying to troubleshoot my daughters AC issues. I have been using the two documents as a reference http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/A4_Coolant_Fan_testing_Rev_7.pdf and http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/A4_Air_Conditioning_Troubleshooting_Rev_7.pdf

I just replaced the expansion valve and pulled a vacuum. Prior to this I followed all of the information in the "Fan Testing" to make sure my fans came on properly.

After pulling a vacuum, I was getting ready to charge and thought I would double check the fan function. I turned the key ON (not running) and pushed the AC button ON with fan speed on 1. The fans did NOT come on in low speed as I would have expected.

Is my expectation wrong or is something still amiss?

BlueOvalKid

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
Thanks Bob. I was just getting ready to post that I found the answer in that sticky.

The FCM does control the fan operation if pressure is low. Mine was obviously low since I hadn't charged it yet. I put in the first can and low and behold the fans started working.

Now the issue is this -- I have a full 12oz can in, fans are running, clutch is engaged and all looks good. Except, the low side pressure is ~ 90psi and the high side pressure is ~ 90psi and it does not seem to be pulling in the second can of refrigerant.

I have already replaced the expansion valve & o-rings for it.

Could I have a bad pressure switch (G65)?

BlueOvalKid

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
Update

I put the second can of refrigerant in warm water and it started to flow nicely.

The gauges were showing the low pressure side dropping to 50psi and high side was rising to 150psi and then all of sudden they reversed and went back to ~ 90psi on each.

My thought is that something got clogged but that's just a guess.

Any ideas?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Search refrigerant control valve, otherwise known as the rcv.
I believe there’s a how to on this.
It’s located in the A/C compressor.
You can change the the rcv without changing the whole compressor.
It seems to be a common issue......

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep! The RCV is sticky ...

It is located internal of the Compressor on your 2001 Beetle.

Before you dig in deeper, add a couple of ounces of proper oil.......... 1 ounce and see how it does. Turn the Compressor Off and On several times with the engine running and the Temp turned down to Max. If that doesn't help, add another ounce of oil and repeat. If this doesn't do it, well, you can consider the RSV is stuck.

In the link below, scroll down to Post #520. In the second photo, you will see the RCV (brass thingy). I removed the RCV as the AC Compressor and ALH engine are in my 84 Vangon which has an Expansion Valve that is not compatible with the use of the RCV.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798&page=35

EDIT: Yes, the MK4 models have an RCV in the AC Compressor.... My formerly owned 2000 model had one! My 2003 model has one. My son's 2004 with the BEW engine has one. The 2002 model in my 84 Vangon "had" one...

Last edited: