Sticking but only on long drives

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
All,

My 2003 ALH has been an awesome car and is now past 220K miles. For at least 40k miles now if I take it on a long drive (greater than 3 hours) I find that at times the turbo seems to act a little strange when I go from cruising to full throttle. If I punch it normally on my boost gauge I can see the boost go up to 20-ish PSI and then hold for a moment and then drop down and build. However, I find that sometimes on these long drives I will floor it and the boost builds up and does not drop off soon enough for the ECU to not register an overboost and push the car to limp mode (read:NO BOOST). If it does this I can cycle the keyswitch and the power comes back.

Any ideas on what this could be? I drive the car hard so it shouldn't have much build up in the vanes from constant speed. Other than this the car is awesome and I have had no other issues.

I've searched and found plenty on limp mode but nothing that seems to be quite like this.

Thanks for any insights you can throw my way!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Have you checked the turbo actuator....you even mention it yourself. Doesn't matter if you drive it hard or not, it can get sticky.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Worn turbo lever. The hole gets wollowed out and it can't return as easily.
To verify it you can pull the actuator clip and move the lever by hand.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Actuator has been tested - but I cannot test in the middle of a road trip. Though when it has been tested at home it tested good. Is it possible that the heat would negatively effect it so that when it heat soaks on a long trip it could have issues?

eddieleephd - if the hole was wallowed out wouldn't I get an consistent problem?