www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old May 24th, 2020, 00:07   #16
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90_zeros View Post
Well I apologize for striking a nerve, suffice it to say we disagree about the spirit of this, and that's fine. Not looking for a fight, just not looking to pay $1k plus S/H for a pipe that is readily available for 1/3 the cost on nearly any other turbo platform. I recognize their quality, I do not recognize their value. Big difference, and I hope they understand I mean no offence. I am not their market.

Nothing to be sorry about at all. It's just that there's more that goes into building a business of building an exhaust or manifold for small market vehicles than is commonly appreciated.

Just because someone has it for cheap doesn't mean it's typically better. You see it in the small chassis Audi world all the time. Cheap eBay headers, even early 034 headers crack due to poor welds and design. But people buy them because of perceived value. Then they try to sell them or have to take a loss and start over again.

Maybe you're right, and I (as a piping professional) could source, design, build and market a solution at 33% of what the industry leaders are selling for and make a tidy profit. But I doubt it.

I actually emailed Black Haze via their website right after posting about the hangers and set up in general, have yet to hear back.

Will be interested to see if you get any response.

- 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4 #BertanCummins
- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 05:57   #17
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
They can call it Seal Clubber's Unlimited if they make good parts for good prices
Lol. Now, Purple Haze Workshop is a name I could get behind. Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 11:43   #18
90_zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRY4SNO View Post
Nothing to be sorry about at all. It's just that there's more that goes into building a business of building an exhaust or manifold for small market vehicles than is commonly appreciated.
Will be interested to see if you get any response.
I think your first statement there perfectly summarizes my dilemma. They have built a niche company around doing one thing extremely well. I appreciate that, for sure. To build a business like that, around essentially one or two platforms with low sales numbers, you have to charge a good bit to keep the lights on. I want them to do what they do, and I want people to fund them. What i'm looking for is more like the old school summit racing x-pipe kits. I essentially need something close enough with all the right mandrel bends in it already so I can do the rest. Bear in mind I'm not going to be bolting something on and calling it a day. I'm going to be cutting, welding, trying different resonator setups, etc. You wouldn't buy a RT or BK exhaust if you knew what I had planned. It would make Hostel seem like the Teletubbies movie.
as to the response, yes I heard back. PFB
[No problem for the questions, feel free to ask as many you want.
We do not supply our downpipe with primary O2, the only function of this sensor is for the EGR system.
So if you are deleting, it won’t be used.
But if someone really wants one, we can add one for 30CAD
The reason why our kit doesn’t have an hanger, is because it will we too tight. Before making our own downpipe, we have installed many brand. And we often had to reweld them because they break in a weld. It’s important that the downpipe have room to move and absorb vibration. Adding an hanger would lead to too much stress in the downpipe.
We have designed our billet stainless steel flange to hold the weight of the exhaust with the turbo. Consider our kit 30% of the weight of the stock DPF assembly.
WE probably have one of the most difficult condition here for exhaust parts. And our kit is designed to resist corrosion as much as possible (for the price). Our first kit was made 4 years ago, and still run clean today.
Let me know if you have other questions.
Thank you]

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Lol. Now, Purple Haze Workshop is a name I could get behind. Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Maybe they can stuff a little something extra inside your downpipe before they ship it

Last edited by 90_zeros; May 24th, 2020 at 13:53.
90_zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 16:25   #19
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:

Maybe they can stuff a little something extra inside your downpipe before they ship it
I'm pretty sure that was the plot for a Trailer Park Boys episode.
They are a Canadian outfit, and they thought Black Haze Workshop was a good name- they must be putting something good in those pipes!
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 17:41   #20
Pharcyde145
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT

lol, Turbobrick240 is 2 for 2.
Pharcyde145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 17:17   #21
90_zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I'm pretty sure that was the plot for a Trailer Park Boys episode.
They are a Canadian outfit, and they thought Black Haze Workshop was a good name- they must be putting something good in those pipes!
lol you Mainers don't know anything about that huh?

I definitely don't know about Elevation207 and others when I was staying in OOB for work. Definitely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde145 View Post
lol, Turbobrick240 is 2 for 2.
He's still sharp because his Canadian care pack hasn't come in the mail yet

You boys are a good time. We'll see what the verdict is on the DP. I'm convinced it will work fine for my purposes. Will order in the next few days. Will take another few weeks to get the money for the tune so no immediate install Will definitely keep posted for interested parties.
Old May 26th, 2020, 20:54   #22
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Now that you've laid out your intentions, your position makes much more sense. Thank you for elaborating.

I got essentially the same response, with enough variation to know it's not a copy-paste reply. Nice to know they're genuine.

Now, about that billet flange...

I am also intrigued by the higher quality stainless vs the BK unit. And in Quebec they use an ungodly amount of salt on the roads so if it is truly holding up that well there, I'll be in good shape here in AB where we mainly use sand.

The two are basically the same price, and both are cheaper than the RT and DS units.

What doesn't exactly jive with me (yet) is the bit about the hangers. Of course you don't want it too rigid. You also don't want sag. Both can cause welds to crack. You'd think a bellows/flex-pipe would solve both movement as a moment anchor and thermal expansion, no?

Old May 26th, 2020, 21:47   #23
90_zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRY4SNO View Post
Now that you've laid out your intentions, your position makes much more sense. Thank you for elaborating.

I got essentially the same response, with enough variation to know it's not a copy-paste reply. Nice to know they're genuine.

Now, about that billet flange...

I am also intrigued by the higher quality stainless vs the BK unit. And in Quebec they use an ungodly amount of salt on the roads so if it is truly holding up that well there, I'll be in good shape here in AB where we mainly use sand.

The two are basically the same price, and both are cheaper than the RT and DS units.

What doesn't exactly jive with me (yet) is the bit about the hangers. Of course you don't want it too rigid. You also don't want sag. Both can cause welds to crack. You'd think a bellows/flex-pipe would solve both movement as a moment anchor and thermal expansion, no?
Glad to have made sense, and I'll admit I'm bad about getting the "order" of details off sometimes lol.

Regarding the hangers, I know exactly what you mean, it could go either way, but I think it makes sense given the orientation of the turbo and backward torque-over of the engine that's unavoidable in FWD/transverse platforms.

One could say that the most of the work is being done by the rearward hangers, purely from a leverage perspective, leaving the forward hangers for stability and redundancy.

You may or may not be aware of this, but there were some aftermarket DPs for other platforms that ripped exhaust hangers. (turbo mustangs looking at you). The aftermarket stainless is usually more rigid than the factory exhaust. The pipe itself is supposed to give a little, and so now many of those DPs just don't come with hangers. That was the "revision". The part itself is structural.

If it doesn't hold, a hanger and crack repair won't be too bad. I'd worry more with a big turbo, but I'd have a hanger/brace on the turbo itself by that point
Old May 26th, 2020, 22:10   #24
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Good points.

Although a quality header shouldn't need a hanger/brace to support a turbo. Quality materials and workmanship are key. Look, for instance, at Iroz Motorsport headers in both transverse and longitudinal set ups. Not one single cracked manifold, and they're supporting up to, what, 1100 hp nowadays... running 8s in the 1/4 at full weight.