02J transmission

caminuvik

TDI
99.5 Jetta;2004 Jetta wagon
On the bottom there is a badged VW plate, with 2 screws, what is hiding behind this? Can't seem to identify this in my Bentley. Having a drip there. Thanks

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
That’s your receiver for the selector tower. You can remove it and apply a liquid gasket (RTV) to the mating surface.

Keep in mind, you will loose fluid when you drop the receiver so make sure you have some transmission fluid at hand. (it might be a good time to replace the fluid if you haven’t ever done it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caminuvik

TDI
Thanks, Hope to find transmission oil Tuesday, trying to brace myself for the shock of the price. Bought the wagon 4.5 years ago in Calgary, not sure it has ever been changed,

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
02J requires GL-4. I ordered mine from FCP Euro. I don't remember how much, as I ordered about $95 worth of it (I have a 02J on the Golf, 02J that will be on a 5 speed swap, and 2 02Q that use the same fluid).

Jetta2005TDI

TDI
Jetta 2005 TDI (old version)
from my experience stick with oem gearbox oil they had recent updates get that one (silver bottle) Best shifts in winter.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
from my experience stick with oem gearbox oil they had recent updates get that one (silver bottle) Best shifts in winter.

Once the trans gets higher mileage you will find out that the OEM stuff is not as good. Notchy shifts in certain gears that let the synchros grind a tad.

I used OEM for about 250K and after that found from others here the syncromesh works really well. I am at 465K and wouldn't dare go back to the OEM lube.

caminuvik

TDI
Well, lo and behold, needed breaker bar to remove fill plug, stuck finger in and was full, or so close to it would not be an issue. Having whining sound, when in gears, nothing in neutral or when is clutch in. Starting to think it might be the throw out bearing. Bought pennzoil oil $20 a liter, friend got it on a discount for me, $16.50. Will keep it for future use. Thanks for the help.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Seems to me that if the throwout bearing is going, then you'd only hear it when your foot is pushing on the pedal. Otherwise, there is no pressure on it, so it wouldn't be making noise. That said, I'm not a transaxle expert either.

Cheers,

PH

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Interesting, my son's '03 wagon is leaking at that spot. We have the fluid ready, just need to get under there and do it.