How often should I change fuel filter?

2002MK4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, 2003 Jetta TDI
pretty sure the interval is 10k
Guy at Pickering VW told me its every 60,000 for the ALH engines.

[Yeah right I thought]

Thats the last thing I'm gonna do is INCREASE my change interval right when they start making the dam things in China.

Nice one VW Dealerships...nice one.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
ALH fuel filter change interval

Guy at Pickering VW told me its every 60,000 for the ALH engines.

[Yeah right I thought]

Thats the last thing I'm gonna do is INCREASE my change interval right when they start making the dam things in China.

Nice one VW Dealerships...nice one.

I'm not sure of the interval on the ALH engine. I've been driving VW diesels since 1980. During my career I was rolling up about 36k miles annually. So, my practice has always been to change the fuel filter in late November or early December, regardless of miles, to enter the winter months with a fresh filter.

I love to tell the story about my brother's '01 Jetta. Long story short, he let is OE filter go for just under 171k miles before changing it.......no problems.

And, BTW, in recent years, I've never bothered to open the drain to inspect for water. I very seldom found much over a teaspoon of water. However, maybe the folks above he mason dixon line should check for water sometime during the winter months.

Wksg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI Wagon
I've put 33K on my car since I bought it last year, haven't changed the filter yet. Who knows how long it has been in there. No problems though. I even have a new filter, just never seem to have time to change it. Plus, since it will be the first time for me, I expect the usual unanticipated "complications"...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I've put 33K on my car since I bought it last year, haven't changed the filter yet. Who knows how long it has been in there. No problems though. I even have a new filter, just never seem to have time to change it. Plus, since it will be the first time for me, I expect the usual unanticipated "complications"...
All the more reason to do it proactively. The last thing you want is to do it for the first time on the side of the road on a dark, snowy night ;)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
TdiTom is right.

Wksg, with your '03 there should be no issues changing the fuel filter.

Remove the old filter and install the new one. Now, connect all the lines but do not insert the T, just yet. Now, use a small funnel and fill up the filter with diesel fuel where the T goes. Once you feel confortable that the filter is full of diesel (or darn close), insert the T and holding clip.

Now, start the engine and after it idles for about 10 seconds or less, raise the RPM up to about 2000................ if it begins to stumble a little, press the accelerator a little more, taking the RPMs on up to 2500 or more. Then if all seems okay slowly lower the RPMs back down toward idle. If at anytime it begins to stumble, repeat the above.

I've never botched a VW Fuel Filter change, and I've been driving going on 32 years.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I agree changing the filter is not a big deal. Newer VWs (any TDI) are extremely tolerant of a little air in the fuel. On my first diesel (02 Jetta) when I knew nothing about diesels, I changed it like a gas filter. Took out the old one, put in a new one, and started the car. It took 30 seconds or a minute, and it ran rough, but it worked. Don't try that on an old truck or a tractor.

Personally, I never change the filter until it clogs, but I have a redundant fuel supply system I can use to get home on. Still, I always carry two spares.

I knew a fellow who ran WVO and was so thorough in his fuel cleaning, he never changed a fuel filter. Ever.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Filter changes

I knew a fellow who ran WVO and was so thorough in his fuel cleaning, he never changed a fuel filter. Ever.
You know, since I've been a member of this community, I've read numerous horror stories about botched fuel filter changes. Most of them were done because there was a "problem" going on with the engine. So, the general concensus is to "throw a fuel filter" at the problem and all will be well.. Then it still want start and now they don't have clue whether it is the original problem or a botched fuel filter change.:rolleyes:

As I stated, I change my fuel filter once per year regardless of miles on it.

And, as I stated previously, my brother let the Original Fuel Filter on his '01 Jetta go for almost 171k miles with no problems!

Mako

Veteran Member
TDI
AMFPolo 1.4 TDI 100%Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI 100% Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI Wagon 100% Biodiesel, VW Syncro 3CT Kombi 100% Biodiesel, Corsa 1.7D 100% Biodiesel
If you want to extend filter change intervals just add a vacuum gauge between the IP and filter. This can be left under the hood or led through to the driver. Once the vacuum starts to rise there's still a long way (hundreds of km) to go before the motor will stop. Running high bio percentages and cold weather?......a vacuum gauge will quickly show up gelled fuel and show the vacuum dropping as the "T" diverts warm fuel to the filter to melt the gell.

myribitsbroke

TDI
2011 JSW
Why would you change the filter before it clogs? It seems to me the longer you leave the filter in, the better it filters. When you have a loss of power, change the filter. Maintenance schedules make $$$ for service departments.
why would you change the oil filter every oil change if it isn't clogged? this is a pretty awful mentality to have when dealing with maintenance of your car.

jonlaury

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
TDI Filter Change interval (pix)

With a fuel filter change looming, I've been reading threads about FF change intervals for awhile. Lots of opinions, experiences, etc but few pix. So here's mine of 2013 Jetta TDI, 67K miles, original Mann FF, running discount fuel, and no additives, overall about 41mpg, and running well.

AYCS, the outside pleats are pretty well gunked up with whatever that black crap is. However the inside pleats are clean and under 6x magnification, there's no metal or residue that I can detect. There were a few particles of metal on the bottom of the filter canister, on the order of <.010", but remember this was from new. I would expect to see some minor break-in metal and that the FF would do it's job.
FWIW, Filter Media is 128" x 4 3/8" or 3.89 sq. ft.

A HEADS-UP GRIEF SAVER:As an aside, after changing the filter, I started the engine and couldn't get it to rev past 2500 rpm. I thought it must be air in the system so I repeated the air purging instructions of running the 2 pumps simultaneously 3x for 1 minute, @ 1 min interval. Still no joy. Could not find anybody with an answer except one tech said to let the car idle for awhile to purge the air. I reasoned if idling would purge the air, then driving the car, limited rpm notwithstanding, would purge it quicker. So off I went and immediately the car happily rev'd normally. The take away is that this model has a 2500 rpm rev limiter when the transmission is disengaged. Apparently a lot of TDI mechanix don't know this, so if you want, we could form a club:rolleyes:.

With the new filter, acceleration is noticeably improved, mpg TBD. My conclusions are to change the filter at 40K intervals and try name brand (Chevron, Shell, etc) fuel to see if it gets rid of the black gunk, reasoning that DieselKleen additive works out to about 10 cents/gal, and that's about the spread between discount fuel and name brands.

Hope this helps somebody.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qnuxafi1h1l5v0i/AAB0Vx2UHK8ns_cKurWKW_9Pa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pcng3v22rq12i8/DSC03353.JPG?dl=0

Last edited: