2006 Jetta drivers side axle movement?

blodgee

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have a 2006 TDI Jetta. It has a vibration I can't seem to figure out nd neither can my dealer. I recently replaced the drivers side front axle with an OEM rebuilt from VW because the old one was moving up and down while the car was on jack stands and in gear at an idle. The vertical movement while rotating is most noticeable at the transmission end closest to where it bolts to the flange. I took it to my dealer and they said that this is ok and normal. I said the passenger side does not do this? There answer was the drivers side is shorter and thus has this effect? Can anyone comment if they have noticed this on their cars?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 2006 TDI Jetta. It has a vibration I can't seem to figure out nd neither can my dealer. I recently replaced the drivers side front axle with an OEM rebuilt from VW because the old one was moving up and down while the car was on jack stands and in gear at an idle. The vertical movement while rotating is most noticeable at the transmission end closest to where it bolts to the flange. I took it to my dealer and they said that this is ok and normal. I said the passenger side does not do this? There answer was the drivers side is shorter and thus has this effect? Can anyone comment if they have noticed this on their cars?
when does the vibration occur? a youtube video would help if you are curious about the movement.

blodgee

TDI
2006 Jetta
The vibration is the worse at 70mph but I just went to get the front end alignment and they didn't even check it because they said that I have flat spots on both my rear tires. I am putting on my snows any day now and will see if that helps vibration.
Back to the axle wobble:I don't know how to do the you tube thing. I can estimate that it moved between 1/16th--1/8th inches.
I think this could cause some vibes?.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The vibration is the worse at 70mph but I just went to get the front end alignment and they didn't even check it because they said that I have flat spots on both my rear tires. I am putting on my snows any day now and will see if that helps vibration.
Back to the axle wobble:I don't know how to do the you tube thing. I can estimate that it moved between 1/16th--1/8th inches.
I think this could cause some vibes?.
it should not cause vibrations, if the axle is out of balance, sure. I'll check mine for ya just to compare. Will let you know. I doubt flat spots on the tires is the issue here. I have uneven wear on my winters, and it causes an annoying thumb sound at lower speeds. My rear was out of alignment, which is common for the jetta's. I got the 5 year alignment, and have mine checked every year, and every time it's out of alignment by a lot.