need 02j tranny, code EGR

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
So, I'm on my 2nd tranny. First one went like 240k. used replacement went about 25k, it seems. Most strangely, is the used replacement is having the same symptoms the first one did - won't reliably go into 3rd when upshifting. Absolutely will not downshift without double-clutching.

anyway, assuming there is no other obvious problem I'm not aware of and this is just a weird coincidence, anybody got a known good 02j lying around, code EGR?

thanks

matt

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I have one... Can I convince you to remove the short shifter with the next transmission you put in?

BTW, I eventually did tear your old trans down... 3-4 synchros were toast and the clips for the detents for the 3-4 selector were also broken... We may be able to simply fix your current trans by buying those clips and 3-4 synchros.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
So Matt, are you saying the short shifter is an issue...if so im in trouble.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
So Matt, are you saying the short shifter is an issue...if so im in trouble.
Depends on the driver. You have to be a bit more patient with the super short throw setups (Like dieselgeek's sigma). You shift too fast, which becomes much easier to do with a super short throw, you're going to start damaging synchros...

If you're gentler and a bit more patient, you can feel when things are synching up and will be just fine. Not everyone is that attentive, however ;)

I have had more than one customer with chewed up 3rd and sometimes 4th gear synchros who also happened to have DG shortshifters... Not saying the product is bad, it just makes it a little too easy to shift too quickly for those who aren't careful.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Hey Matt!

This car doesn't have a short shifter, so that's not the cause. First tranny lasted 240k (100k by us). Next one 25k. Damn.

I'm all for buying those clips and synchros. Best time to call you to discuss?

matt

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Hey Matt!

This car doesn't have a short shifter, so that's not the cause. First tranny lasted 240k (100k by us). Next one 25k. Damn.

I'm all for buying those clips and synchros. Best time too call you to discuss?

matt
Dang, I thought it did... Must be thinking of someone else's...

Call whenever, leave a voicemail or text if I don't pick up. Will get back to ya when I'm not immediately under a car :)