Smoke under light (normal) driving???? Normal or not

TDIFanatic1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Jetta TDI
Hi there

This morning I left for work while it was still dark outside and noticed that there was a haze behind me everytime I pulled of in 1st and 2nd gear ( in the lights of the car behind me). The engine was almost at normal opp temp. Is this normal or could there be a problem.? This haze was under very slight throttle as I make a point of warming the engine fully before driving it hard.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
What color smoke? How many km? What year model/ engine? Any mods? What engine oil are you using?

Most likely, it's something you hadn't noticed before. As they age, they do start making a bit of a haze out the tailpipe. If the engine is otherwise in good shape and it's not using more than a liter of oil in a change period, drive it.

If you are talking a TDI, there are a couple of things to pin your problem, or lack of problem.

First, VAG-COM your engine. Over-advanced timing could be a culprit. There is someone listed in Cape Town who has one. Don't know about 'trusted mechanics' in your part of the world.

Anything from rings, valve guides, timing, low MAF reading, wrong oil or fuel can cause that. The older TD mechanical pumps, it's what I'd call NORMAL.

TDIFanatic1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the reply, now that you mention it I didn't notice this smoke when I was using Sasol ulsd which is made of coal not oil. I did change my prefered fuel to Shell V-Power as it definataly gives beter mpg's and more power.