Smelly Heat (Antifreeze smell)

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
I remember a 1989 GT 5.0 Mustang that I used to own having the same problem. I remember one November morning driving to work and having the heater core puke and it poured onto the passenger side floor pan inside the car.

They too had to pull the dash in order to replace a $35.00 heater core. When will these manufacturers learn to use quality components rather than going after the "Cost Savings"?

I also wish they would design some easy service ability into the cars.
Why in the 21st century does a dealer tech have to remove the entire dash assembly?

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I also wish they would design some easy service ability into the cars.
Why in the 21st century does a dealer tech have to remove the entire dash assembly?
Amen! Amen! Amen! I heard that GM had some Oldsmobiles with an even worse arrangement.

Boosthund

Hi TDTTech:

I like my new 2005 Passat TDI, but I too have the coolant smell. Do you know a reliable mechanic/dealer locally (I live in Vienna) that you would trust to properly do the core replacement.
Thanks,
Paul V.

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
It is cheaper for them to only replace a few cores that will go bad prior to the warranty exipiring than to pay for the more expensive cores or the re-designed location for a minor part like this...it is a gamble on their part...sometimes it works, other times it goes very bad.(Ford Pinto anyone?)

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
You have to lean on the dealer. My dealer and VW replaced the heater core on my 05 TDI Passat. It had leaked. Took about a week to do it.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
We also had the “smelly” anti freeze thing. No film on windows, and its gone away since we started using the heater a lot.

Coolant level has dropped to minimum since new (6500 on it now). Unsure if its worked out air, lost a bit of fluid or what, but since winter and more heater use, no more smell.

Will keep an eye on it, but definitely not going into the oil.

Nice to have the 5 years warranty on it.

TDIPASSATGUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Passat Sedan
Are they extending the WARRANTY on this. Mine just started. 90K miles, but mine was one of the first 05's on the boat and from this thread, it looks like the pioneers took all the arrows again.