Why bother to accept a buy back?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
I think you're accidentally doubling the compensation.

That 18K should be your NADA value plus the compensation.
My 2012 JSW is coming out around 20K before mileage deduction and there's no way it was worth that last year. It was worth around 12-13K, which puts it right in line with 20K once the compensation is calculated.
It seems to conflict, at least how I read it earlier. One section that I quoted above appears to separate the buyback amount plus compensation. I guess we'll know more once VW's buyback estimator comes online in July.

node_one

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Well the numbers aren't in for Canada, but running my numbers if I was in the US is definitely positive.

Now I get to wait to see how the screw us Canadians on the exchange....

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
It seems to conflict, at least how I read it earlier. One section that I quoted above appears to separate the buyback amount plus compensation. I guess we'll know more once VW's buyback estimator comes online in July.
The portion you quoted is describing how the numbers are derived. The chart contains the numbers that you'll be paid back. The only calculations the charts indicate you should do is to figure options and mileage.

Aside from those documents and instructions, I applied common sense since I know my JSW (and the same with your Golf) was not worth 18K trade in last year.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
You have to follow ALL steps from the top of the charts in attachment 1a, through to the end of the appropriate mileage tables in 2a-d. The column 1 numbers includes the market value AND the restitution amount (which the very last steps insure is at least $5,100 after all calculations are done).

Steam Engine

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT- Candy/Corn
Forgive me if this has been addressed.

But my 2011 sportwagen was totaled 2 weeks ago- by fault of other driver.
Now my check is waiting at the insurance office till I can figure out where I fit.
108K miles- they offered NADA clean retail $9800 plus taxes= $10,500.

Any advice? From what I read- if I sell it between now and July 26 I'm out of the settlement. Did I read that right?

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
There's a section in the settlement that addresses totalled vehicles. If I'm remembering right, if you sell the car to the insurance company (total it), you are still eligible to receive the restitution portion of the settlement (the $5,100) from VW. In your case, the $9,800 (NADA Clean Retail now) may be either higher or lower than what VW would use for that portion (They are using NADA Clean Trade from Sept 2015). You'll have to check the tables youself. There's a good thread with all the associated tables at on www.reddit.com/r/tdi

Last edited:

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Well, it's certainly more than I could ever hope to gain if I sold the car today privately and much more than I would receive on a trade-in if I were to go to any other brand.
My bank payoff as of today is approximately $6,300. I'd still walk away with almost $18,500 that can go towards another new or used car. Win win I think.
The way I see the court document, you would get a "combined" payment of between $20,267 - $22,517, depending on options and mileage.
You would subtract for the 6M, and also for the 128282 miles shown on fuelly. But, you would add for your sunroof and other options. How much you get for your car under NADA clean trade in, will determine the punishment cash you receive, but no less than $5100. Anybody got a link to Sept. 2015 NADA?
Now, if you are not the original owner you will have to divide up the punishment cash with previous owners. You are still making out like a bandit.
Also, will owners have to sign a statement saying that the emissions on the car have not been tampered with? That seems to be standard operating procedure around here these days.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
The nada values are baked into the attachment 1 and 2 tables in the FTC documents.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
went and checked my Fuelly records... my actual mileage at that time is less than their computation... wonder if we'll get to dicker with them on that.... I assume no way in hell :)

node_one

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Just saw this on Reddit:

With the buyback being the table 1A value minus the table 2 value which is adjusted by 1042 miles/month after Sept 2015, if you're a high mileage driver, you can reduce your mileage penalty if you can park you car until the very last month for the buyback.

Seems smart if you can manage it.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
went and checked my Fuelly records... my actual mileage at that time is less than their computation... wonder if we'll get to dicker with them on that.... I assume no way in hell :)
Your only argument might be if you had a verifiable mileage record from closer to the sept date, and used their 1042/month from then (like the goodwill registration, or a service visit at an actual VW service center). But the proposed document does not give that as an option. Perhaps that should be the first major campaign to add for the public comment period - the ability to use this option if that information is present (at owner request).

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Just saw this on Reddit:

With the buyback being the table 1A value minus the table 2 value which is adjusted by 1042 miles/month after Sept 2015, if you're a high mileage driver, you can reduce your mileage penalty if you can park you car until the very last month for the buyback.

Seems smart if you can manage it.
That would only be smart if that money couldn't earn you that much in the meantime - I'm thinking even horrible but slightly positive investment return on that many thousands of dollars will end up being more than the mileage reduction you'd save over that time (at most 24,000 miles worth - which is MAYBE a grand?).

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
be interesting to see if anyone at tdiclub starts any campaign for a group-backed change to what they are proposing.

one thing that could be nice is a "me too" sort of clause... basically, if some other class-action suit gets going and gets a better deal... all the people subjected to this deal would get the benefits of the other action.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
That would only be smart if that money couldn't earn you that much in the meantime - I'm thinking even horrible but slightly positive investment return on that many thousands of dollars will end up being more than the mileage reduction you'd save over that time (at most 24,000 miles worth - which is MAYBE a grand?).
not to mention storage cost, insurance, etc and anything else that will eat at it.

node_one

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Well, the mileage counter started in September, and you've got 2 years from now, so you're talking about 33 months or about 33,000 miles. Looks like it is about $1500 per the tables.

Just another option for some people.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the mileage counter started in September, and you've got 2 years from now, so you're talking about 33 months or about 33,000 miles. Looks like it is about $1500 per the tables.

Just another option for some people.
It's not linear, and different for each car - so it will be different for everyone - but honestly, that money would be far better used for other things than letting VW hold on to it for a couple years to get a very slight increase in the buyback amount.

Steam Engine

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT- Candy/Corn
There's a section in the settlement that addresses totalled vehicles. If I'm remembering right, if you sell the car to the insurance company (total it), you are still eligible to receive the restitution portion of the settlement (the $5,100) from VW. In your case, the $9,800 (NADA Clean Retail now) may be either higher or lower than what VW would use for that portion (They are using NADA Clean Trade from Sept 2015). You'll have to check the tables youself. There's a good thread with all the associated tables at on www.reddit.com/r/tdi

Based on the tables: $16,200.
I've read through it but I still don't understand if I will be penalized for handing the title over between now and July 26 or whenever the official submission date will be.

I don't want to give up 50% over a 1 month window.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hard to say - there's not really a category for selling the car AFTER today NOT to VW.

redpup

TDI
2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6MT
Heck, if I'm getting $25k for my 2013, I'm entertaining (because it's so deliciously fun!) the idea of waiting for the 2017 Golf Wagen S, manual, 4motion to come out, take the buyback, pay off the remaining $11k I owe, and put a nice amount down on the new one.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Is there any word on VW being allowed to sell 2016 TDIs? Otherwise I don't see a good option for a replacement vehicle for me.

The buyback offer for my 2012 JSW (mileage correction currently comes out to $0) would amount to about 8% flat depreciation per year, i.e. writing the car off over 12 years. That's not too bad, i.e. it wouldn't penalize me for intending to keep the car a long time, but there's also not really any special incentive here. Still, being able to 'reset the clock' to a new car after 3.5 years is not bad - IF VW was willing to sell me that new car. So, any word on new TDIs?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
The way I see the court document, you would get a "combined" payment of between $20,267 - $22,517, depending on options and mileage.
You would subtract for the 6M, and also for the 128282 miles shown on fuelly. But, you would add for your sunroof and other options. How much you get for your car under NADA clean trade in, will determine the punishment cash you receive, but no less than $5100. Anybody got a link to Sept. 2015 NADA?
Now, if you are not the original owner you will have to divide up the punishment cash with previous owners. You are still making out like a bandit.
Also, will owners have to sign a statement saying that the emissions on the car have not been tampered with? That seems to be standard operating procedure around here these days.
That's the way I thought it would work, but I've since been told otherwise in terms of the net compensatory amount I'd be eligible to receive.

As for the last point - hope not; my DPF broke early into my ownership. I tore it out and had it "Maloned". I've still got all the original parts sitting in my garage, but I'll be damned if I gotta put all that crap back on.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Heck, if I'm getting $25k for my 2013, I'm entertaining (because it's so deliciously fun!) the idea of waiting for the 2017 Golf Wagen S, manual, 4motion to come out, take the buyback, pay off the remaining $11k I owe, and put a nice amount down on the new one.
That's what I'm thinking if it works out...

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
That's the way I thought it would work, but I've since been told otherwise in terms of the net compensatory amount I'd be eligible to receive.

As for the last point - hope not; my DPF broke early into my ownership. I tore it out and had it "Maloned". I've still got all the original parts sitting in my garage, but I'll be damned if I gotta put all that crap back on.
Same here. I will definitely put my stock wheels and shot tires on it. I can get the dpf reinstalled if I have to.

schreibers

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I'm really torn here. I feel like with Gen 3 cars things are slighted to promote modification but us Gen 1 guys are slighted for a buyback. Since you won't get your >$5100 until the fix has physically been done (which may or may not happen by May 1, 2018 ) you can basically drive the car and if you get money that's great all the while knowing you're racking up miles which is taking away from your buyback.

Unless you drive a lot even if you wait until May 1, 2018 i'm only taking an additional $330 for mileage assuming I drive 30K from now to then. I was hoping for some trade in incentive on some 2015 TDI's or new VW's as it is I feel they want to force you to buyback to lessen their burden. If I do i'll probably try and get a beater or Liberty CRD there's nothing other than an AWD TDI which may be here in 2017 that i'm interested in but i'd prefer some of the new Tiguan models.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Till I saw the mileage adjustment I was thinking it was too good to be true, so now we wait, and drive (the value down). At the moment, the 5100$ (and a free 'fix') might be the best option.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
With A 2011, whether dealers/VW offer a loyalty incentive on another VW is a big factor for me. Having a poorly performing retrofitted TDI is not a good option, but neither is having to pay out of pocket to buy a new, similarly performing car. I'm not optimistic about the fix and don't want to wait 2 years to find that out.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
For my 2014, the $20,667 plus the $7120 is more than MSRP. I can't complain about that one bit. I may have a GTI in my future...

My wife's situation is a tad different. Her 2014 will net $2000 more than mine due to the mileage adjustment. However, she MUST have both a sunroof and a manual transmission. Today, that car doesn't exist unless it's a GTI, which she doesn't want. :( Perhaps we'll risk the fix on her car. It's driven lightly enough that we can afford a "wait and see" approach.

node_one

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I think if you follow the numbers properly, you won't be able to get above MSRP back.

Value from Attachment 1A - Mileage Penalty from appropriate Attachment 2 = Buyback.

If Buyback < $5100, do the funky math at the bottom of the Attachment 2.

Clearly laid out in both the court document and the top of the Attachment 2 pages.