Converting Roll Up Windows To Power

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I'm considering purchasing some door cards with power window controls.

Is it worth the trouble converting everything?

I understand it's not just the door cards I would need, but regulators also.

I prefer the roll up door cards (not as much to go wrong) but not as much of a selection as there is with power.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
At a minimum, you would need to change the door cards, window regulators, door wiring, and the CCM (since that is what actually operates the window motors).

Really not a job worth undertaking unless all parts are free.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
You might be able to find a fellow TDI'er that would swap you parts. For some odd reason, there are folks who really prefer manual crank windows.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I think I'll stick with what I have. It's just not worth the trouble. I guess I'll just redo the door cards I have.

Thanks

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Your best bet would be to find a car that has the options you want, park yours next to it, and move things over.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
You might be able to find a fellow TDI'er that would swap you parts. For some odd reason, there are folks who really prefer manual crank windows.
Some of us odd folk don't like the window falling inside the door during the winter months :D. If you live in a dollar dance State (ie frequent toll booths on the roadway), I could see the use of power windows (ie hard to shift, look, steer, and roll up a window) while re-merging into traffic after paying for the dollar dance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Because some of us prefer windows that actually stay working. Forever. ;)

But to answer the OP's question, you'd have to change all the wiring to the CCM, and the CCM itself. A whole lot of work, but it can be done. I've switched them out the other way on my A3, even that was a bit of a pain, but I never had to deal with a broken regulator again.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
believe it or no. I have a electric motor (came out of a big rig 40 years ago) that mounted where the hand crank is. Before electric windows were an option in trucks. Run a power line to it an a switch. mainly used for pass. side