Wheel Lock Keys?

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys,

Went to change my wheel locks yesterday and realized that I have wheel locks and no key!

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a key without spending a lot of money?

Thanks in advance!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
it should be located in your trunk with the tire iron

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
speed185187 said:
dealer,

or in a rare chance a junkyard
I learned the hard way that there are a lot of different ones...it's not standard.

I went to the dealer and they gave me 4 regular wheel bolts and let me use one of their adapters to chunk the special ones. Left the damn caps off too...been happy ever since.

If you do need to order one it's a special order kinda deal, so pray you don't get a flat.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
I actually would not mind having 5 different sets of wheel locks. So if anybody wants to swap their wheel locks for a normal lugs - shoot me a pm :).

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Damien8 said:
Hey guys,

Went to change my wheel locks yesterday and realized that I have wheel locks and no key!

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a key without spending a lot of money?

Thanks in advance!
Did you look in the styrofoam piece that holds your tire change tools?

Dweisel

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Dealers have a master key set, all 20 or so of them.

If you want to ditch them, just ask to buy 4 regular lugs and they will probably let you use their master set to remove the locks and replace the lugs with regular 17mm lugs.

Otherwise they can get the key for like $15-$20

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
In my MKIV the tools were located in a styrofoam peice that fits in the wheel well, but with my current MKV the tools are in a plastic bag. The first time I went to change the wheel I couldn't find the key as it is in it's own velcro compartment in the tool bag. It is easy to miss. I think Oilhammer stated previously there are sixteen varieties of security bolt.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
There is a little "pouch" in the tool roll.....not obvious....but it's there. That's where I found mine.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If I may, A little word to the wise.

Vw is doing away with the old style keys. There are already a few codes that are obsolete and no longer available.

If you have wheel bolts that are this style:

you may want to get them off as soon as possible. Not even the dealer techs will be able to get the keys once they are gone. If you lose your key in a year, you will have to find your own way to get your wheels off. (Drill, EZ out, or I am sure we have all seen the thread where the guy CUTS his wheel off the car).

All locking wheel bolts are being superceeded to the newer style:

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
dayne66 said:
There is a little "pouch" in the tool roll.....not obvious....but it's there. That's where I found mine.
Good catch... pouch on the tool roll, which got de-cont'd to a block of styrofoam in the '09s. My wife and a tire shop failed to locate the key in one event... by the time I was able to tell her where it was, she had gone to the dealer, had them pulled, and bought regular lugs. Even better.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
As much as I despise the dealer...I did go down there an ask about buying some wheel bolts and they just gave me four used ones they had in a box behind the counter.

They also gave me a free quart of oil because I was there right before close and they didn't feel like ringing me up. Ironically, it appears that their laziness and wholly inadequate performance can have negative consequences for the dealerships as well as the end consumer. I do get some sick satisfaction out of this-

I probably got lucky with the oil, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few TDIC'ers could get a heck of a deal on used bolts.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
Rather Be Biking said:
Sterling that bad?
Not really, just for fun.

Anybody else interested in swapping their keyed lugs for standard ones? I need two more sets.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Maloosheck, I already swapped out my keyed lugs for standard lugs, but I still have the wheellock and the 4 keyed lugs...shoot me a pm if you're interested.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Malo, I'll swap out mine for four standard lug bolts. Sent you a PM as we live 30-45 minutes from each other.

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
I had to bust mine off-the key disappeared, I was getting tires last winter, I told the mechanic to nuke 'em.

Of course, my wheels are not pretty.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
F250_JR said:
Maloosheck, I already swapped out my keyed lugs for standard lugs, but I still have the wheellock and the 4 keyed lugs...shoot me a pm if you're interested.
PM sent.