EGT gauge question? NEED FAST ANSWER please

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Monkey1 said:
All depends on what the egt gauge instructions say. Mine was a autometer and was specific to put it post turbo as it was calibrated for that type of installation.
Also if the probe ever broke, bye bye turbo
Regardless of what the instructions suggest, if Autometer's "K" type thermocouple is rated high enough (e.g. at least 2,000 degrees F), then it will tolerate the temperatures inside the exhaust manifold of a VW diesel. I had Autometer EGT tapped in pre-turbo in two diesel vehicles with no probe breakages. Anyway, if Autometer's thermocouple is deemed unfit for pre-turbo application it would be suggested to find a better thermocouple.

The probability of turbo self-destruction or other mechanical failures (e.g. pump, injectors, etc.) is arguably much higher than a pre-turbo EGT probe crashing into the turbine. It's rare.

Many people still have to 'guess' the maximum safe EGT with varied post-turbo EGT thermocouple installations. The standard for max. EGT is more consistent for vehicles with pre-turbo thermocouple setups, regardless of what modifications they have.

The turkey & oven analogy is well done.

Dislcaimer: This is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
-----------Just my own experience------------

I don't have the big technical explanation sorry.......

We run our probe post turbo-downpipe .........(which I've been told is around 200 degrees difference)

We have run our VNT15&stock IC on two dynos and several race days etc.....

We run the Autometer Cobalt EGT guage (post turbo application instructions)

NEVER had an issue with the engine melting or blown turbo;)

The car is constantly pushed as a daily driver-My hubby and I are spirited drivers to say the least........

Last edited:

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
Doc_Oc said:
Plans are Boostfactory SMIC, and I am waiting for LurkerMike to see how his pipes are coming along. I'll end up with a 2.5" DP and 3" straight pipe exhaust, and as big as it fits IC piping, one way or another.

Well, Joe, you've been ditching me at every GTG I've been so far. :)
And leave JSP alone man. Everybody's on their case. :(
we will see each other at shadee's. and just like Vik, i'll turn you into a PD lover. ;)
as for JSP, im done with it. just needed to vent:D

back on topic....although pre-turbo is the right way....im kinda concered about something breaking with the probe and damaging the turbo. thats where its safe to put into the DP but dont get accurate readings. i see this gauge as a win-lose situation.