Tdi pd tune question

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
Looking to get my new tuned. Locally I have a unitronic dealer and apr. used to have a traveling Malone dealer but he quit tuning all together. I am in charlotte no are. I would like to find someone locally if the tunes are as good.

My question is would unitronic or ape be ok? Or should I get a Malone, rocket or kerma.

I understand this will be very subjective. I don’t really want to spend money on a loader, but also don’t want to be without a rch for a week, which is why I ask about local tuners. Thanks in advance

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
Bump..........

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Can't speak to tuners in your area. Believe Malone and Rocketchip guys work with local VW guys, you'd likely have to wait once you found someone. Check if someone, maybe tuner, will rent you the Q-loader, I believe those can do the trick with the ECU in place.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
TDTuning.com, Kerma, and Malone all use a program loader you will need to rent or purchase; Rocketchip IIRC, doesn't email tunes, so you must part with your ECU for a few days.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
Are those tunes really better than apr or unitronic?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Tough to find someone to make that comparison. Also tough to find data sheets for tunes. Rocketchip, Malone, a few others are tried and true.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Internet would have a heyday and it'd boil down to whoever had the most prep to make a dyno queen file. Making power is the easy part, reliability and drive-ability take far more work.

Rental tools should be available from all of the common diesel tuners too.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
Internet would have a heyday and it'd boil down to whoever had the most prep to make a dyno queen file. Making power is the easy part, reliability and drive-ability take far more work.

Rental tools should be available from all of the common diesel tuners too.

I want the power of a stage 2 file. But I have a bew. What can I do to combat boost creep? Secondly do other tuners have boost creep or is it just a Malone thing. I have never seen it listed anywhere else before

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
It's down to the mechanics of the turbo rather than the tuning, we advertise it and have built a log viewing program into the website because we deal with a lot of diesel tuning and want to be up front with what to expect. If you don't log the car, you won't know, and it's common for KP39s to fail due to erratic boost behavior, both stock and tuned, because the owner was unaware the turbo was way out of spec for most of it's life. Sure it might trip limp mode eventually, but by then the damage has already started in most cases. These are normally ten+ year old turbos with questionable lives. I daily drive a stock turbo BEW myself and it's a little temperamental on anything past a stage 1 tune, but then other cars come in and run great on stage 2. Every motor and turbo is a little different and turbos don't always do what the ECU asks them to. Here's a basic boost log for example http://log.malonetuning.com/chart/236029

You should use VCDS to data log the car to see how the turbo is operating, or run a boost gauge if you intend to run an aggressive tune. VCDS is well worth it in the long run given the age of the car and makes diagnostics considerably easier. Any other turbo (like a vnt17) would have much better boost control.

Last edited:

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
I have vagcom and run a boost gauge currently. I can get the car out of limp mode, just don’t want to have to scan the car constantly.

Last edited:

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
That was written as if it goes into limp mode from boost creep I can take care of it. My car currently is not in limp mode. I want a tune that is powerful but not going to have to tinker with it constantly to keep it running right.

Only issue I have now is a cel for egr cooler delete. I just cut the light off with my scanguage II

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, square away any issues, tune it, forget it.
Malone, maybe others, like for you to send certain logs to help them fine tune the tune. This is a good idea, but you should not need to "scan the car constantly".

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I have a Malone stage 3 and it did take a while to get it where it should be.

Of course I have a lot of stuff going on under my hood.

That being said, now I have it in a good place and don't have to worry about it.

I would say that it doesn't take much longer than setting it up after a timing belt overall.

Don't know if you've ever adjusted your timing and iq after a TB, but it can be fun.

Just like people, every car is different and it takes a bit to find the sweet spot.

I second choosing a tuner and asking them for an installer local to you.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
I