1.9TDI PD 8V camshaft upgrade for 250bhp ?

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
Octavia mk2 BXE + hybrid @175bhp/400Nm
Hi,
I'm slowly gathering bits and pieces for my daily driver Octavia PD105 currently 175bhp/400Nm with hybrid turbo and a remap (definitely not enough for me now). I'm not looking for huge power my goal is 250-260bhp with, reliability, good fuel economy and fast spool/responsiveness from low revs . I have already BRR (Transporter T5) engine block rebuilt, and ported head waiting to be put together. I've purchased brand new 5.0TDI injectors (which will be fitted with Firad hf80 nozzles if they don't flow enough as they are). I'm also planning on fitting GTB2060vklr turbo. The question is: considering the above should I look for some uprated camshaft or will the stock one be just fine? I've been told that 2.0SDI camshaft would give some advantage over stock but haven't really seen any proof to back it up... Will pistons/head ports ceramic coating make any sense here? I don't want to spend fortune on things making no real difference like a race cam for £800 which gives real improvement above 280bhp mark etc...

Any suggestions?

Boyka

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a4 avant 3.0 tdi Remap
Interesting topic, I subscribe!
camshaft nps?
Greetings.

Boyka

Veteran Member
TDI
No what you mean, my English is very bad and my traducctor.. is crazy.
Greetings.:D

Boyka

Veteran Member
TDI
I know at least two people who have had problems with wear these camshafts.
I do not know if it is usual.
Greetings.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Hi,
Will pistons/head ports ceramic coating make any sense here? I don't want to spend fortune on things making no real difference like a race cam for £800 which gives real improvement above 280bhp mark etc...

Any suggestions?
i'm really amazed how many 'new' school guys are looking at ceramic coatings,etc. for a daily drive car! and for that power level...:confused:

I think that's not having any sense, and will increase the bill significantly for a 250bhp goal...

Last edited:

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
i'm really amazed how many 'new' school guys are looking at ceramic coatings,etc. for a daily drive car! and for that power level...:confused:

I think that's not having any sense, and will increase the bill significantly for a 250bhp goal...
well the coating isn't that expensive as you may think especially when I have it all in pieces and don't have to remove the head just to be coated... (£300 max for pistons, valves and head)

If it will let me lower EGT and improve performance and maybe let go 10-15bhp further without affecting reliability than why not?

the question is, is there anyone who have done it already and have comparison of EGTs before and after it was done?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Yep, i can't argue with that, but hey, you have a PD man, 250bhp will be pretty easy to do with no need of coatings...
300Gbp seems to me expensive for an estimated gain of 10-15bhp...

Last edited:

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
Yep, i can't argue with that, but hey, you have a PD man, 250bhp will be pretty easy to do with no need of coatings...
well I'm not really worried about the power output as I know for sure that my power goal will be easy to achieve with the mods I've planned, the coatings are just to improve reliability of the engine especially under stress and maybe help a little bit with the performance, I'm just trying to find out whether the coating work as advertised and what are the real numbers in EGT for example or is it just something like the fuel magnetizers there is plenty people selling them but no one have proof that they really work...

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I would be surprised if coatings would lower EGT at all as measured at the turbine inlet. I am very interested in them for your application though. The 8V PD head is very prone to cracking at the injector holes and even valve seats when really pushed. I have had to replace a head already due to this. I have been considering carefully ceramic coating the combustion chamber surface to try and reduce the thermal stress that is causing the cracks. It may be the best solution for high powered 8V PDs.

On the cam, I have not tried one yet, but I have been considering the NPS cam Jfettig posted about too. If I ever have to replace my head again, I might even ship it to NPS for porting. MarkoP does some really impressive work.

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
If anything,the coating will increase the EGT
NPS for cam and porting,no doubt

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
If anything,the coating will increase the EGT
NPS for cam and porting,no doubt
well ceramic coating should be a thermal barrier so essentially the pistons and the head should be cooler and the heat transferred out with exhaust gasses improving turbo spool/efficiency, at least that's what I've heard obviously the EGT measured at the turbo will most likely be higher but the turbo will be water cooled so it is not a problem, so the heat would have to be measured at the head to see the improvement if there will be any

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
I would be surprised if coatings would lower EGT at all as measured at the turbine inlet. I am very interested in them for your application though. The 8V PD head is very prone to cracking at the injector holes and even valve seats when really pushed. I have had to replace a head already due to this. I have been considering carefully ceramic coating the combustion chamber surface to try and reduce the thermal stress that is causing the cracks. It may be the best solution for high powered 8V PDs.

On the cam, I have not tried one yet, but I have been considering the NPS cam Jfettig posted about too. If I ever have to replace my head again, I might even ship it to NPS for porting. MarkoP does some really impressive work.
well after talking to a bloke doing head rebuilds I'm pretty confident that the 16V are much more likely to crack than a 8V one which is pretty obvious to me... obviously high EGTs will kill any head pretty much so that's why I'm looking into the coating to find out whether one have tested it already and can say for sure that it does work the way I expect it to...

Last edited:

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I've ran ceramic in the past on the mitsubishi diesel I ran in my boat prior to the tdi, and can vouch for it that it does work. The engine coolant to water heat exchanger I was using was a little bit small for the engine and before the ceramic it would overheat if I ran the engine hard for any extended time. I had the piston tops, head, valve faces, exhaust ports, exhaust manifold, and turbo exhaust housing all ceramic coated. After the coating I could not get the temperature gauge above normal even with extended full throttle runs. Also took noticeably longer to warm up. It was quite clear there was considerably less heat being absorbed by the cooling system. As well my fuel burn dropped about 10% for the same trips with similar loads and speeds. Haven't done the ceramic on the tdi yet, but if I ever have it apart I will definitely do it then. I am completely convinced the stuff does work. Not sure how much affect just doing the pistons would have, but I expect you probably need to do all the surfaces the hot gases come in contact with to get a real noticeable effect.