What did you do to your MKIV today?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Installed a fluidampr from INA today. At idle not very noticeable but up to 5k on an ALH it feels like melted butter on Martin's potatoe bread. It reminds me of my sport bike days and how smooth they are at crazy high RPM. Issam is great and easy to deal with, shipping was super fast assuming you think 2 days from Canada to Virginia is fast...I sure do!

Do you absolutely need one, I don't know but I fell in love with mine in the first Mile and there certainly is a very noticeable vibration reduction above 2k or so and the 3 inch straight pipe exhaust seems quieter cruising on the interstate. Not cheap but I think it's well worth the investment especially if you have a SMF and plan to keep the car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
New N75 and MAF...

Been tracking down performance gremlins on my 04’ 5speed. After much frustration, trial and error and advice, I narrowed it down to the N75 valve and MAF.

Success! Boost is there, cruise control maintains on hills and the car pulls hard. With the combination of a Malone tune and Frank 6 camshaft, the speedometer strangely showed the car going 100+ mph and still pulling one night on a dark deserted highway.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Checked fluids, vacuumed, and replaced a license plate light bulb in IBW. I'm driving down to NC next week and want to take this car, instead of the BMW 335d or the GSW with 9,800 miles on it. Guess I still like my MKIVs.

I know others have different experiences, but I've replaced very few bulbs in this car in its lifetime Never a license plate bulb, can't remember when I last needed a tail light bulb. Headlights a few times. No interior lights. Amazing.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Checked fluids, vacuumed, and replaced a license plate light bulb in IBW. I'm driving down to NC next week and want to take this car, instead of the BMW 335d or the GSW with 9,800 miles on it. Guess I still like my MKIVs.

I know others have different experiences, but I've replaced very few bulbs in this car in its lifetime Never a license plate bulb, can't remember when I last needed a tail light bulb. Headlights a few times. No interior lights. Amazing.
When I first got my mk4 3 years ago I constantly had a rear bulb out and I went through and replaced them with the right bulb and haven't had an issue

And yes I too love my MK4s... trying not to own more than 3 is challenging, all diesel 5 speeds

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do to my Mk4? Got a new OEM windshield installed by Safelite, literally at the same time as getting a new OEM windshield installed (also by Safelite) on my 1995 F450 Powerstroke. And more TDI-specific, the body shop is installing a darkside developments aluminum radiator.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
And yes I too love my MK4s... trying not to own more than 3 is challenging, all diesel 5 speeds

I hear you on that one. One of mine is on the backburner until next year (ALH Jetta that I want to convert to a 5MT and make it a Ute). Otherwise, there are 3 Mk4's in the household, and 11 diesels altogether.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I hear you on that one. One of mine is on the backburner until next year (ALH Jetta that I want to convert to a 5MT and make it a Ute). Otherwise, there are 3 Mk4's in the household, and 11 diesels altogether.
I love diesels...

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I changed the alternator today. It's MUCH easier on a BEW compared to an ALH. Also changed the cabin air filter, that was gross.

300k_logician

TDI
2000 Jetta ALH 5-speed
I swapped out the passenger upholstery seat with a leather seat with the lumbar support. Did the driver's side last friday.

This'll be great for my next road trip.
Now I've got to figure out how to remove the cigarette residue from the seats. Hmm.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I drove my wagon to Atco Dragway NJ for VWs waterfest 24.
Before leaving I adjusted the injection pump timing from 3mg to 4.5 , also put two new rear tires on . The show on Saturday and Sunday was cool as always, plus it nice to see VWs /Audi’s owning the track , especially Rs3 Audi’s .
On the way home yesterday I lost boost,a intercooler hose pop off coming through new haven CT . I check it out but it required taking the belly pan off, which I said forget that, so I limped the rest of the way home struggling to maintain 70mph , while producing only 5lbs of boost .

Bajan

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And a fair amount of smoke, I'd imagine.

I didn't make it to Waterfest. It was a bit too far to the new location.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Smoke lol
What smoked Peter hahaa it was drizzling and the AC was on . I actually told my wife hopefully people will think it’s mist from the rain lmao :
Very few tdi’s in attendance this year but overall waterfest imo was the best it’s been since rapid parts used to sponsor it .

Bajan

zachmurphy24

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Removed Moonsoon head unit and replaced with iPad

I created a custom iPad Mini mount to replace my Monsoon double DIN radio. I used fiberglass resin and sheets to create a mold of my iPad and then used a Dremel tool to clean up the edges. After sanding and putting very thin layers of bondo around the edges to create a OEM look. I found that flat black spray paint matched the paint of the interior.
I moved the head unit to the glovebox in order to retain the stereo system in the car. I found a head unit that did not play CDs so it wasn’t as deep and I wanted one that had a rear USB (dedicated to the iPad) and a front USB. I routed a 6’ USB extension cable to the rear cup holder. I figured it could be unplugged and easily switched so that the person in the front seat could use it.
My intention was to set the head unit in the glove box at a medium volume and then make fine tune adjustments on the iPad. Well this didn’t work because as soon as I docked the iPad, all volume control went away. I was forced with installing steering column controls that would be able to control the head unit versus Bluetooth steering wheel controls that would only control the iPad. This added an extra expense I was not expecting but it was “required” or else I would have to open the glovebox every time I needed to make a volume adjustment.
My plans in the future is to have an OBDII wireless sensor that the iPad can read and install front and rear cameras. I also just thought of adding TPMS that would link to the iPad.

Hwycruiser

TDI
If you get an Apple Watch you can use it for iTunes control - pause, volume, forward, backward, etc.

zachmurphy24

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
If you get an Apple Watch you can use it for iTunes control - pause, volume, forward, backward, etc.
Aww, that’s a good idea. I’ll have to try that. I am not very good at charging the watch, as I find it a hassle, but that might make me keep it charged. Thanks.

Moosenuckle

Veteran Member
TDI
03 tdi ,Mk2 aba swap w/charger; 97 Dodge cummins 5spd
Had to put a battery in her. $200 bucks later. Old one lasted 8 yrs from Walmart. I’d figure I give NAPA a try. With that new AGM cells guess it’s supposed to last longer. We will see

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just bought a spare battery for my car, since Fred Meyer is no longer going to be stocking Interstate batteries, and the current inventory is now half off.

Hopefully the current battery will last through next winter, but a $95 spare battery is preferable to getting taken to the cleaners when a battery gives up in the middle of the winter and potentially costs a day's wages as well.

It's also available if needed for a non-VW project car that I just had lands in my lap, but that's not mk4 work!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Sold 2 autotragic TDIs to a local guy that recycles them. $200 each for running cars. Nobody on the forum was interested, so off they went.

Sigh...

PH

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Over the last two days drove it to the Asheville NC area to visit friends. The new cars sit at home and IBW is my first choice. Mostly running at an actual 75 with the A/C on I got 48 MPG on the first fill. Driving on one tank from home near Boston to Roanoke VA: priceless.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Replaced all interior lights, trunk and tag lights with LED's. Big difference, and puddle lights are a huge difference.

Some of the sockets are a real PIA to get new bulbs in, and sometimes you get to try twice due to polarity.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
I also found the correct keyfobs to relpace the will worn originals. Mine takes the 2 CR1620 batteries. Ordered them from http://deautokey.com/
My first attempt I ended up with ones that took a single batters and just wouldn't work. Had to return them.

Have to move key, electronics, and RFID chip from old fob to the new shell. Getting the RFID chip out of the old one took a little doing, basically cut the old shell apart.

Now the buttons work better, and the emergency button also works for the first time since I got the car.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
I honed my next Beetle alh block, used my precision ground block to sand the top of the block to 400 grit, performed the 2nd to last block flush.

Received my full contingent of KS bearings from Metalman in the mail. I believe the post office has replaced my troublesome postal delivery guy and I actually get my packages like I am supposed to. I firmly believe the last guy carried a bottle in the van with him on the route.

I go not know if these ALH blocks' content is a bit higher in nickel or what...but, these blocks are much easier to hone and accept a reasonable hone MUCH more readily than the older 1.6 blocks ever did. I was done before I even realize I had begun!

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
Built, and installed a catch can, then drove over 1000km from northern Alberta to Kelowna bc, averaging 45.9mpg most of the trip. I know my iq has been low since I put on an 11mm pump, but I’ve been lazy about fixing it (I did just get my hex-v2, so I can fix it, I’ve just been procrastinating)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Drove it 970 miles from Brevard NC to home, Duxbury MA. 15 hours, averaging just under 65 MPH including stops. Not bad. Had the cruise set at an actual 75 (78 indicated) most of the time. A/C on. Filled in West Virginia and got 49 MPG which included part of the trip down on Thursday.

Saw this when I got to CT on the way home

That's the opposite of range anxiety.