BEW intake valve bent???

dmep

TDI
2003 Golf, 2004 Jetta Blue, 2004 Jetta Silver
Finally got the cam out of my 2004, #3 cam lobe is rounded over and the lifter has a hole in it and is not as high as the other lifters. am thinking about pulling the glow plug and hooking up an air hose and see if air comes out the intake before I go any further.

Other ideas welcome.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
probably not, by the time the cam holes a lifter the overall lift has been gradually reduced over time and at that point even if the lifter element cocks at an angle between what's left of the lobe and the valve tip you won't even be achieving stock valve opening

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Take the rest of the lifters out and compare valve stem height, that should give you peace of mind...but the BEW cars have always had an issue with cam wear especially when(assuming) using an oil less than 505.01 spec

And I agree with jimbote and more so that it had a friction issue that caused that amount of wear of both surfaces...with the cam out you could pull the other 3 glow plugs and and see if it makes compression on that one cylinder...couple different ways to skin a cat

Last edited: