thump!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
thump on hard acceleration

I just completed full front suspension work...
Both sides got:
lower control arm bushings
outer CV joint/boot
Bilstein TC sport struts/bearings
lower ball joint
BUT I still have a mild "thump" upon strong acceleration (just first gear).

I guess this is an engine mount. Seems like it is coming from the left side, or middle.

Wild difference in the price of motor mounts... Over $100 for standard rubber dog bone from some sources, or below $20! Beck Arnley is less than $40... I feel like trying a less expensive dog bone to see if the sound goes away. Or maybe the driver's side mount. Have you done this?? OK? Bad experience? Good experience?

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
diagnosis

Driving this car after the suspension work. I am noticing a new condition. The new LCA busshings and everything else that stiffened up the suspension has revealed the weak engine mounts.

On acceleration in 1st gear, it isn't hard to tweak the mount and cause the mount to go metal to metal, transmitting engine throng to the cabin! Interesting sound.

Question is, which mount is the main problem?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Which vehicle are you talking about?
It's the '03 Jetta wagon (5MT conversion, MKIV-A4).

If you have a lift, I am sure that you can easily stand under the car and flex the dog bone to assess the quality of the rubber. On a floor jack I can try that. The left and right mounts are more easily accessible, if you remove stuff like the air filter case on the left, for example.

I ordered a Febi/Bilstein dogbone mount. I am sure that the one on there is original and has over 200k miles on it. ECS tuning has one that probably outperforms the Febi/Bilstein OEM by a longshot. But the price is no less than 8 times higher! I just can't justify putting that kind of money into a 15 year old car, especially after spending over $800 on brand new OEM quality or better suspension/drive train parts. If there is still a problem after installing the lower engine mount, I will move onto the driver's side engine mount. The OEM replacement for that left one has a price tag of about $15 more than the OEM dogbone, about $45. I can live with that.

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
My car was making a thump on acceleration or deceleration for a while.

When I went to do my timing belt, I found out what it was. On the passenger side motor mount, the bracket that bolts to the engine block was loose. All three bolts were just finger tight. The mechanic who previously replaced my timing belt the first time must not have tightened them properly.

To replace the timing belt tensioner, I had to remove that bracket, so when I put it back on (with new bolts) the clunking stopped.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Wouldn't a motor mount need to be in pretty bad shape (or loose) to make a thump under acceleration?

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
My turbo s beetle was doing the same thing. It started as a thump then started to feel as if someone was hitting the floor with a sledgehammer. My dog bone rubber was gone. When I replaced it it was back to normal. You can buy a new dog bone mount or just buy a rubber inserts. I just rebuilt what I had.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
When I described to my older brother that refresh on front end (control arm bushings, lower ball joints, new CVs, etcetera) revealed a weakness in the engine mounts, he told me it reminded him of his old body! New knees, new shoulder... so now, the other joints feel loose and creaky now!

But I reminded him, in our defense, that it took us 60 years for us to get to this place. The car is 15 years old:rolleyes:

So I replaced the dogbone because it was inexpensive and I could not easily test, and got the left motor mount (not even $40). The motor mount on the transmission was loose (the 18mm bolts)and after removing it the two parts flexed like a wet rag- original I am sure. All Febi/Bilstein replacements, well under $70 and some fun in the garage. and...TRANSFORMATION!

The engine actually transmits the torque WAY better, much more spry, feels more powerful, no more groans while driving normally, no more metal to metal engine sound or thumps on first gear acceleration either. WOW. TIGHT. The car now actually feels like new (suspension and handling). It was fun doing this with my boys too.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone

I sold the '03 wagon. I have two boys (15, 16yrs old) that need to learn to drive. They can't take the clutch just now. Maybe after they learn to drive with an automatic. We found a '02 Vitara in great shape. No, it is not a diesel. Oh well. The kids think it is way cooler than a wagon anyway:

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I started both my kids on stick shift, most never learn. I'll bet they like the looks of that new one you got!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I started both my kids on stick shift, most never learn. I'll bet they like the looks of that new one you got!
I learned when I bought a used Suzuki TS250 dirt bike. I should have gotten them a used yamaha mini dirt bike to learn on. Their mom wouldn't allow it. I should have just done it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm with your wife on the motorcycles, they're just too much fun! Too exposed on the road, in traffic. Now if you got somewhere nice to ride, you'll want at least 2.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm with your wife on the motorcycles, they're just too much fun! Too exposed on the road, in traffic. Now if you got somewhere nice to ride, you'll want at least 2.
Exactly. Ride where there is plenty of room for mistakes. That's what they need ;)