DSG "Direct Shift Gearbox" owners data base

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Some DSG owners received a letter from VW stating that the warranty on our DSG's was extended to 100,000 miles for the most part to give us peace of mind. IIRC, ones that were built from mid 2007 up to 12/15/08.

DasKar

TDI
VW Golf
Have any of the Members performed the DSG fluid change ?

If so, or if anyone is planning too in the near future, can photos be posted

so their is more detail to the instructions.

I believe this would be a great help to the DIY ers !

DasKar

TDI
VW Golf
Thanks for the link.

Is this service the same for current year TDI's with the DSG transmission ?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
DATE:
Name: Greg
Year: 2010
Make: VW
Model: JSW
Date of auto production: - TBD; April 2010 Bought
Engine code: CJA
Transmission Code: -
Part No SW: 02E 300 052 T HW: 02E 927 770 AL
Component: GSG DSG AG6 511 2114
Revision: 51112 Serial number: 00001001020090
Date of DSG Production: - TBD
Purchased, New or Used: Used "CPO" from dealer
Miles when purchased: 39,000
Current miles: - 56,800 miles
Area of country: - Mid-South
Fuel Statistics: - 47.4/42/32

Trouble free; bought used with fresh 40K service and DSG service done; plan on doing my own DSG service at 80K.

Last edited:

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Year: 2009
Model: Jetta Sedan TDI
Date of auto production: 09/29/2008
Engine code: CBE
Transmission Code: KQC
Date of DSG Production:
Purchased, New or Used: New
Miles when purchased: 26
Current miles: 34,806
Area of country: NE
Fuel Statistics:

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
DATE: 8.6.2013
Name: rico567
Year: 2013
Model:passat
Date of auto production: - 2013 - 03 - 25 21:26:08
Engine code: CKRA 2.0L (103KW TDI)
Transmission Code: - D6F CKR PDF
Date of DSG Production: - TBD
Purchased, New or Used:New
Miles when purchased:355
Current miles: - 1610
Area of country: - Central IL, US
Fuel Statistics: - 40.2 Average

tdiBoi85

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
to biothomas with the rough roll out of 1 n 2 i have the same problem it makes like a rough down shiftand clicky noise its still there even though i replaced dmf and did a trans flush and trans reset lemme know what else or other symptoms

tdiBoi85

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
BMWM5power have a dsg 2006 vw jetta tdi exact same thing you are explaining makes a clicky noise when downshifting and seems to be cojnfused when 1 nad 2 gear

vw4life27

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
DATE: 3/26/2014
Name: vw4life27

Year:2014
Make:VW
Model:Jetta TDI
Date of auto production: -
Engine code: CJAA
Transmission Code: - PPY
Date of DSG Production: - 023/30/09/13
Miles when purchased: 9
Current miles: - 240
Area of country: - Eastern USA, Richmond VA
Fuel Statistics: -

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
DATE:04/20/2015
Name:rodmiser
Year: 2015
Model: Jetta S
Date of auto production: 11/2014
Engine code: CVCA
Transmission Code: - “GED
Date of DSG Production: - “ 08/23/2014
Purchased, New :
Miles when purchased:30
Current miles: - "680"
Area of country: - “ Missouri"
Fuel Statistics: - "TDI" diesel best 48.60mpg

Last edited:

fancy_dancer

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
How long SHOULD a DSG last?

DATE: April 28, 2015
Name: Dan Snyder
Year: 2009
Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Date of auto production: November, 2008
Engine code: CBEA
Transmission Code: 02E
Date of DSG Production: July 22, 2008
Miles when purchased: 18
Current miles: 167,000
Area of country: Central Ohio
Fuel Statistics: Lifetime average is 38.3 mpg

Well, folks, I now know how long a DSG will last. Or, at least, how long the DSG in my JSW DID last. After 6 1/2 years and 164,473 miles, in the middle of Nevada, I was cruising at 70 when the transmission unexpectedly shifted down (to 4th?), and the PRNDS light on the dashboard started flashing, I pulled over, let the engine cool off for a bit, and shut it off. After restarting, I drove maybe 100 feet when the flashing started again. Called AAA. Waited a long time (middle of Nevada, remember?). Took it to Las Vegas for diagnosis. Two hour drive from where we were.

The VW dealer worked his magic, and found three codes (all bad): P2789 ($4B15 / 19221 001) Clutch Adaptive Learning at limit, Upper limit exceeded; P2723 ($4AD3 / 19155 000) Pressure Control Solenoid "E" Performance or Stuck Off, tbd, and; P2711 ($4AC7 / 19143 004) Unexpected Mechanical Gear Disengagement, no signal/communication. Hmm.

Their recommendation was a new DSG, including the Mechatronics unit and clutches. One week and a pile of money later, I left in a car that drove just about the same as it did just before the failure, which was actually very good. I do really like the way that the DSG behaves.

But was this the necessary cure? Would just replacing the clutches have cured the problem, or maybe the Mechatronics unit and the clutches? I find it very upsetting that there seems to be no warning that this was coming, so that I could have had the clutches replaced when the system was, say, at 90% of the limit, rather that waiting for catastrophic failure. And then replace the mechatronics unit too, if need be. If this was primarily a clutch wear issue, is that data available the OBD2 port?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
If you ask around, you may find that automatic transmission failures are usually fixed by a new or remanufactured replacement rather than repair. I doubt if many dealers or independent shops have the know-how to rebuild an automatic transmission.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In agreement with South coast Guy but adding that even fewer tranny shops will know what to do with a dsg. it is probably less time consuming for the shop to just replace it.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Post #226 is the best video I've seen on how the DSG works (apart from the really detailed stuff for mechanics, etc.). Thanks, "kjclow."

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Your welcome but 3turboz actually posted it a few above mine.

kalaskastdi

TDI
2004 beetle
ATE: May 24, 2015
Name: Kalaskastdi
Year: 2004
Model: New Beetle TDI

Engine code: BEW
Transmission Code: 02E, per VWoA GYS, Per Autobahn Transmission Exchange 02E automatic transmission, code HQN or HXU.
Date of DSG Production:
Purchased, New or Used: used
Miles when purchased: 87777
Current miles: 97800
Area of country: Virginia
Fuel Statistics:

Replaced DMF May 2015 - It exploded and machined tranny bell housing. Also had mechatronic replaced May 2014.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I don't know how long one will last since my 2009 JSW only has 235,000 miles and is one of the only things tha has not yet given trouble.
There may be a little rattle from the DMF starting, however.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
DATE: 5/29/2015
Name: Scooperhsd
Model: Golf SE
Date of auto production: - " usually month and year " unless you know the day
Engine code:CRUA
Transmission Code: - “located in owners manual next to engine code”
Date of DSG Production: - “ located on top of trans just below and beside the battery – is visible with flashlight”
Miles when purchased: 42
Current miles: - 5100
Area of country: - Central NC
Fuel Statistics: - " best/average/worst only please "

stevedar

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI - Mechatronic Bites The Dust

DATE SHE BLEW: 04/23/2015
Name: Steve O
Date of auto production: - 10/2005
Engine code: Could not find it? Sticker says Made in Poland.
Transmission Code: - ???? Sticker says Made in Germany.
Assembled in: Mexico
Date of DSG Production: - I can look if it really matters...
Purchased, New or Used: Used
Miles when purchased: 48,000
Current miles: - 107,000
Area of country: - Pacific NW, USA
Fuel Statistics: - usually gets just under 40 MPG, higher w/freeway miles

I've loved having this Jetta despite a decent amount of repair bills. The MPG was cool, the car felt "solid" like when you closed the doors they went "Thunk" instead of "Whump". The DSG transmission with it's cute little manual shift mode and the sunroof and the navigation system, just made it seem so "fun". It is in fact a fairly heavy & safe car with an excellent ride and all of that with almost 40 miles to the gallon and the longevity of a diesel engine, what's not to love?

Then I found out about the flashing MFD of Death or whatever that is? I had just come up a small hill (< 2 blocks, but steep grade) after exiting the freeway. The car revved high, but it wasn't hardly going. Pulled off, caught a ride home, read up on it, went back 2 hours later and was able to drive it 4+ miles home before flashing started again. Check engine light was on all the way.

I read the codes and it seemed like it was throwing PO761 (Shift Solenoid C Performance or Stuck Off) two separate times? At any rate, I knew I could not fix it myself and had it towed to an independent transmission shop (which turned out to be a horrible mistake!) and it ended up costing me $3,000 to get the mechatronic unit replaced. The car itself is only worth about $7K (if I'm lucky), but its more or less paid for so I thought I would fix it and keep it even though that's an absurd repair bill. The Mechatronic thingee all by itself costs $1,500.

So, it's back up and running, but another long standing problem is starting to bother me. I believe I've had some camshaft work done, but never any flywheel work and the dealership that finally finished fixing the car noted it has a "noisy flywheel". I know that diesels can be noisy, but this is not the same kind of rattle, it's more like someone's shaking a can full of bolts inside the engine, although it tends to become less pronounced once the engine comes up to temp. Although now I'm beginning to wonder if I'll next face an exploding dual mass flywheel? This is not even to mention the window controls on the driver's door that occasionally flame out and quit working. That's another one that I missed the recall on, but so far they are still working about 98% of the time.

I am not a big fan of working on cars, but I just now fixed a broken windshield washer line. I replaced the windshield washer pump thinking that was the problem, but finally my wife saw the hose was split right at the hood hinge where it goes to the sprayers. Then about a year or so ago one of the coolant hoses broke in the most obscure place and I spent an entire weekend under that thing trying to make it right.

I probably should just dump the old rattle trap and get a nice reliable Japanese automobile? Or just drive it 'til it dies since it probably isn't going to fetch much in a trade-in at this point?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Thats my plan. LoL. Just hate to waste all the money ive invested in my mkv. Thanks for the laugh though.

Reverend6252

TDI
'15 sportwagen tdi
Don't know how true this is but HPA Motorsports site it states that dealers aren't even allowed to do anything but eithe a fluid/filter change or r/r. This may refer to the newest as I have a '15 w 1800mi. I need to pull all the info for this page when she's broken in a little more and right or wrong I've already got Malone stage 1 & 2 and am waiting on HPA's DSG tune and flash tool (2nd week of Jan '16). All reports so far state the tune makes "the DSG the way it should have come from the factory".

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/dsgtuning.html

TDI Tune at bottom of page.

redznb1

TDI
golf
ATE: May 26, 2014
Name: squeezer
Year: 2006
Model: New golf TDI
Engine code: vef
Transmission Code: 02E, per VWoA GYS, Per Autobahn Transmission Exchange 02E automatic transmission, code HQN or HXU.
Date of DSG Production:
Purchased, New or Used: used
Miles when purchased: 75000
Current miles: 87500
Area of country: colorado
Fuel Statistics:
volkswagen :eek:

Last edited:

TDI321

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, phase 2a
DATE: Sept 2018
Name: TDI321
Make: Passat
Model: SEL Prem TDI
Date of auto production: - " usually month and year "
Engine code: CVCA
Transmission Code: - “located in owners manual next to engine code”
Date of DSG Production: - 2015
battery – is visible with the flashlight”
Purchased, USED
Miles when purchased: 12K
Current miles: - 13k
Area of country: - “ southeast USA, Florida "
Fuel Statistics: - " best57/average42/worst 33 "

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Had this thread pop up with TDI321s add. I had to replace the mechatronics unit in March/April. Took it in the fix and 120k service. Once they completed the fix, they noticed that it was leaking tranny fluid and said it was coming from the mechatronics unit. Took most of my $5200 fix money.