What did you do to your MKIV today?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yep…… I just placed my order for the same thing……. Be getting it Sunday.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Wow ... I should have bought Aquapel stock prior to all the sales!

Hmmmm..... I guess I'll have to give it a shot.

Andrew

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Found my fuel system air leak (after much trial/error and frustration) that left me stranded in a parking lot last week.
The fuel sender had the tiniest crack in it at the base material where the outlet port is molded.

It's sort of my fault. The 2003 was a 1.8 gas chassis that I swapped the TDI into a few years ago. I didn't swap out the fuel lines and used the gasser ones. They are very short to the sender from the gas fuel filter along side the fuel tank. The little bit of tension pulling on the outlet stub apparently cracked the nylon(?) material ever so little.
Had the sender out and looked over the pickup tube as there were reports of that cracking over time and all was good and when I had it out it help vacuum but then there was no tension on the outlet nipple tube. So I spent a day chasing all the possible other lines/connections etc.
Swapped the one out of the 2001 (winter car) for temporary use. ESC Tuning has one for $87.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Changed out the oil in the tranny today. Didn’t see a receipt for it in the folder the PO gave me, but when I drained it the fluid looked pretty damn good. Car has 221k, so I am guessing it’s not original.

I used 1 qt of Symchromesh and 1qt of Redline MTL. I had the same "blend" in my 02 GTi, and it shifted perfectly summer and winter (replaced some GL5 I had put in that caused a 3rd gear grind and slow shifts; I didn’t know any better then).

Also filled up the Suburban. $93. Ouch.

Ordered springs and dampers and scheduled an alignment. The car has Monroe quick struts in the front, and it’s sitting pretty low. Rear is jacked up on Moog 81005 springs. Actually I think they are 81055, which are supposed to fit the car, but raise the height as well. I think the car has some toe out. Feels a little darty on the highway, and the inner edges of the tires are worn a little after less than 2k miles. My son had a pair of replacement tie rod ends from when he had an 01 VR6 Jetta, so might as well throw those on too.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Also, I put LED bulbs in the car. I know it’s not ideal with the reflector housings, but the ones I bought ((Auxbeam F16) are rated high on bulbfacts.com (think that’s the website) for use in reflector housings, they are relatively low output, and were like $50. If the beam pattern sux and there's too much glare, I’ll take them out.

Anywho, I also noticed on my headlights is says “ECE ONLY.” Does this mean I have e-codes?? That would surprise me. They only have dummy fog lights in them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What bulbs did that take? Jetta with e-codes take H4s, not the 9007s that DOT lights use.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Changed out the oil in the tranny today. Didn’t see a receipt for it in the folder the PO gave me, but when I drained it the fluid looked pretty damn good. Car has 221k, so I am guessing it’s not original.

I used 1 qt of Symchromesh and 1qt of Redline MTL. I had the same "blend" in my 02 GTi, and it shifted perfectly summer and winter (replaced some GL5 I had put in that caused a 3rd gear grind and slow shifts; I didn’t know any better then).

Also filled up the Suburban. $93. Ouch.

Ordered springs and dampers and scheduled an alignment. The car has Monroe quick struts in the front, and it’s sitting pretty low. Rear is jacked up on Moog 81005 springs. Actually I think they are 81055, which are supposed to fit the car, but raise the height as well. I think the car has some toe out. Feels a little darty on the highway, and the inner edges of the tires are worn a little after less than 2k miles. My son had a pair of replacement tie rod ends from when he had an 01 VR6 Jetta, so might as well throw those on too.
Suburban must have still had over a quarter tank of fuel left in it or else it's another $35.😏

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yesterday I tore the engine down from the parts car I had. Someone wanted just the block. I was impressed how the 310k mile engine looked inside! It was the best looking engine with that mileage I've torn down, though most times I'm tearing one down it's because it's getting rebuilt, so there's that, but it was clean, very little wear in the cylinders, very little wear on the bearings and etc.

DieselBro

TDI
03 Golf GLS ALH
late on posting, but I cut out the stock muffler on my Golf last weekend. Made a cutout through the valance and welded in straight exhaust section plus a 4" tip. first time welding so it doesnt look the best but I got it done and it sounds nasty!

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Had a 300 rpm blip at idle today. Checked the IC and there was barely a drop that came out. 10k miles since last check. I started to wonder if zero oil at the IC is always a good thing or is some expected and could mean poor oil flow or pressure to the turbo. Turbo operation has no issues.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought some rain x water repellant that you apply like a wax to the windshield ... i had not seen it in awhile and decided to buy / use it before the next rain and while i wait for my Amazon order of better stuff to arrive.

What used to keep me from applying things to the windshield was dreading having to spend a lot of time putting it on In the Heat of the day ....

I could kick myself for not having thought of this earlier but I normally buy gas late at night and gas pumps are normally under canopies and well it's the perfect place to actually do windshields !!! ( I didn't actually think of it myself it was the guy at the next pump that broke out a full kit of cleaning paraphernalia and started doing his windshield , headlights , interior etc that made me realize wow this is the place to do it .... its cool , has good lighting. Snacks / drinks etc etc...).

Andrew

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do today... more like what did I do this week.

Replaced the heater core couplings in 2/3 Mk4's this week.
Last night, I replaced the boost hose/clamp deal with a darkside racepipe. I made a boo boo when I ordered, so it only fit an ALH intake manifold. Good thing I had some spare ALH intake manifolds...

Tonight, I replaced all the plastic parts of my coolant system on the Golf. And what's the stealership do? Give me the wrong f**king o-ring. And of course, the old one broke. So I used an o-ring from a junkyard block I had laying on a pallet (just to test the car to make sure my fuel leak problem is fixed). I'll get a new thermostat/o-ring tomorrow. so this is solved. I'm looking forward to the day that I don't have to replace as much crap on a weekly basis on the Golf!

Oh, I also used this overpriced darkside silicon piece intended for a PD, so my breather pipe makes more sense on the ALH!

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Replaced the right rear hub/bearing on the wagon (227K miles). It got noisy on a trip and when I got home and took it apart, the "grease" was the consistency of dried mud.

Replaced the left rear brake carrier as it was original and the lower slider pin was seized for at least the 3rd time.

Replaced rotors and pads.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Car has been sitting for about a year-alt pulley frozen and burned up the idler pulley and snapped belt- So I charged the battery and tried to start it, wouldn’t start and didn’t sound like was it even close to catching so I cracked open injector #3 to check for fuel, fuel dribbled out so I got out the mityvac and bled the system.
Once I had fuel at the mityvac I got in and turned the key and it fired right up.

So now this week I have to pull the alt to change out the pulley and will replace the a/c compressor with a low mileage used unit.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Why don’t you leave it in the car and do it there…..metalnerd sells the tools…..

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Why don’t you leave it in the car and do it there…..metalnerd sells the tools…..

I have the tool and when the pulley went the outer part walked out on the innner shaft so I can’t get the tool to work on the car. So I have to pull it off. I have a lift so I can pull it from underneath and I’ll fix the a/c at the same time.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Luckydog58

TDI
2005 VW Golf BEW
Replaced the timing belt on my new-to-me BEW golf. Had a few choice moments of cursing the previous owner(s) when we found the engine mount bolts cross-threaded into the bracket and the threads basically destroyed. Helicoils to the rescue.
Replacing the thermostat and housing was also a PITA: the alternator was practically fused to the accessory bracket and refused to budge without a large "persuader" (Hammer and pry bar). Inside the thermostat housing, we found what looked to be a mangled o-ring and the majority of another fused to the block. Took a surprising amount of effort to clean it all up. Surprised it didn't leak.
Found an oily mess around the intercooler and pulled the bumper to investigate: the intercooler had 3 or 4 large holes worn into the fins from the shroud, and the lower charge pipe had blown off again. My friend had an intercooler and all charge pipes from an ALH, so we swapped it all. Fit perfectly! No more massive "Whoosh" under acceleration and no more concerns about those ridiculous clip pipes.
Changed the oil.
Changed the fuel filter and swollen, dry-rotted fuel hoses.
Changed the tranny lube with MT-90, installed some DieselGeek bushings, and adjusted the shift linkage: I still have issues grinding 3rd occasionally, but it seems better if the engine rpms are above 3000. Thinking this might be related to the clutch.....
Nice weekend of accomplishment if you ask me! Much happier little diesel.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Rear suspension work.

Replaced the rust Moog 51055 rear springs with TRW JCS1373T (almost identical, but the free height is 1/4” lower) and rusty KYB GR-2s with stock replacements (from Amazon, $60 for the pair).

This is not my “forever” suspension; just wanted to renew the whole thing (doing fronts this weekend). And lessen the rake I had with the rear Moog springs.

Discovered my left rear wheel bearing has some play.

Plan is to replace it, but has anyone tried tightening down the nut? Bearing was replaced (by po) 20k miles ago. If that has any bearing on the subject. 🧐

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Forgot to mention that the spring on the right side is touching a flange on the rear beam (trailing arm part, seems like it’s there for a bracket). Had the same issue on the left side, but I was able to rotate the spring so it would clear.

Any issues with this? (Other than scrapes in the paint and subsequent rust.)

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
After posting last night, I ordered a rear wheel bearing. Picked up a 30mm 12-point socket on my way home from summer school. From getting the tools out to putting them away, it took only an hour.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I replaced the blower motor and the resistor pack. There is a great video by 1aauto.com...one glitch underneath the side panel is one more screw that his didn't have, or he didn't mention it. It wasn't really a bad job to do, I had to use my contortionist training to get at some of the screws. ;)

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Lifted the car and added 15" Black Rhino wheels with 27" General Grabber ATX tires, then took it on a 1k mile road trip. It was fun!!

....and yes it took more than a day, lots of cursing, moral support, friends & family helping, and a LONG time prepping. I'll have to start a thread soon with build details if anybody is interested. Or you can follow @tinyturbotdi on instagram.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted the car and added 15" Black Rhino wheels with 27" General Grabber ATX tires, then took it on a 1k mile road trip. It was fun!!

....and yes it took more than a day, lots of cursing, moral support, friends & family helping, and a LONG time prepping. I'll have to start a thread soon with build details if anybody is interested. Or you can follow @tinyturbotdi on instagram.

HI,

Looks cool ! .... I'd definately be interested in seeing info on the build.

What type of mpg's are you getting on it .... How much lift?

Andrew