6 speed conversion kit

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
How much torque can the gearbox handle with this conversion kit? Will it be as weak as the 02S gearboxes?
Where is 6th gear on the cluster of the 02S gearbox? At the end of the cluster?
IF I recall correctly with the new 5th and 6th on the EuroTuning conversion it is 5th gear than is at the end of the cluster, not 6th gear. 6th is at the 5th gear position in the modified gear box for less stress on 6th gear.

greenie

TDI
2 ea. 96 passat tdi sedans Plus 96 Passat TDI wagon with 6th gear and they are all GREEN
And the cluster is supported by the new Eurotuning cast aluminum cover that has support bearings for both shafts.

motters

TDI
VW T4
Wondering if anyone who has been running the conversion kit is tuned. Any one mind chiming in with what kinda power beyond stock they're running with this kit...
I am running it in my 2.5 TDi VW T4 with 157bhp and around 300Nm torque without any problems so far. It has been in the van for over 10,000miles and has resulted in an average fuel consumption improvement of 4mpg (was hoovering around 29-30mpg and now easily returns 34mpg).

The gearbox was completely rebuilt and refurbished with uprated diff bolts and strengthening plates (genuine VW kit), a Sachs race clutch and a custom uprated DMF from Dubforce.

I will be increasing the power further to around 200bhp with addition of a hybrid KKK turbo custom built by AET Motorsport and some 0.240 injectors (currently running 0.216 with the standard KKK K14 turbo).

Last edited:

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
The gearbox was completely rebuilt and refurbished with uprated diff bolts and strengthening plates (genuine VW kit), a Sachs race clutch and a custom uprated DMF from Dubforce.
Sweet. Was that at Stealth Racing or elsewhere (Vince did mention a T4 when I was having my last service done so perhaps that was yours)?

motters

TDI
VW T4
Sweet. Was that at Stealth Racing or elsewhere (Vince did mention a T4 when I was having my last service done so perhaps that was yours)?
That's the one Mike. Had a few issues with the wrong clutch plate being supplied from Germany but Vince has the patience of a saint and the work was all first class.

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
How much torque can the gearbox handle with this conversion kit? Will it be as weak as the 02S gearboxes?
Life of the gearbox is influenced the most by extensive play in the roller bearing of the output shaft.

The play in the bearing is increased either with the increasing mileage or is the consequence of the increased engine performance. It is necessary to consider that the gearbox 02A is designed for the torque of 250Nm, if the engine has a higher torque, the wheels can withstand it but the deflection of the output shaft can be so high that it can finally create a play in the roller bearing, which can cause a defect of the gear.

The matter is that the original roller bearing with the diameter of 46 mm has a too weak wall of the outer ring and if the engine has a higher performance, the outer ring is deformed due to output wheel deflection, creates a play and this play results in the gearbox defect. With the increasing performance of the Volkswagen engines, this fault was recognized and since 2008, the bearing 02A311375C is replaced with the bearing 02Z311375A with a diameter of the external ring of 48, which can already withstand a higher load. Therefore, for engines with significantly improved performance, I would recommend to carry out this change. To drill the hole 46 mm to 48 mm and to use a stronger bearing...

Bore after removing the bearing ring 02A311375C...

Ring bearings after removing...

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
i like this kit and would be in just for the better mileage. if life plays out as i wish, i might get enough cash to go ahead with this mod. i will get the clutch at the same time and drill the holes for better lube.
a shop will be doing this for me. Any recommendations of a shop near the South Houston area?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
General recommendation - use a shop that is versed and comfortable in rebuilding standard transmissions. They need to be able to break the case and pull gears where the clearance under the gear (5th) is very slim. If they are familiar with 02a / 02j transmissions on VW FWD cars, then you should be fine.

I installed my kit with the transmission out of the car, as I had a clutch that was making my gears rattle at the time. The 5th/6th selector rod/fork has selective shims - make sure that the transmission is horizontal when setting the selective shims - if the transmission is vertical, the weight of the syncro hub will skew the shim measurements to be smaller than required.

greenie

TDI
2 ea. 96 passat tdi sedans Plus 96 Passat TDI wagon with 6th gear and they are all GREEN
I dido that Windex. I read that earlier and made sure mine was laying down (Horizontal) on the bench for the shim adjustment. I have about 7k miles on mine now. Windex, You just mentioned rattle noise. I now have a rattle, bucking sound, feel when I am in 4th, 5th, or 6th at cruise with low RPM about 1500rpm. It feels to me the clutch disk I installed during the 6th gear mod. If I back off or throttle up it goes away. I get it more in 6th and more difficult to get in 4th. I can excellerate in 6th from 1100rpm with no problem. Any ideas out there?

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
I dido that Windex. I read that earlier and made sure mine was laying down (Horizontal) on the bench for the shim adjustment. I have about 7k miles on mine now. Windex, You just mentioned rattle noise. I now have a rattle, bucking sound, feel when I am in 4th, 5th, or 6th at cruise with low RPM about 1500rpm. It feels to me the clutch disk I installed during the 6th gear mod. If I back off or throttle up it goes away. I get it more in 6th and more difficult to get in 4th. I can excellerate in 6th from 1100rpm with no problem. Any ideas out there?
What you describe is the shudder typical of the early 1Z/AHU engines within that RPM range.

greenie

TDI
Never experienced it before for driving over 400k miles on different 96 TDI's. It showed up after the clutch and 6th gear up grade. This summer I plan to have my second 96 TDI with 6th gear up grade. Then I can compare. Still thinking it is the clutch springs.

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
Eurotuning, what is the current delivery time to the US for a kit for my 2003 beetle?
How are you guys all doing with your transmissions, John, Mike, greenie, windex, anybody else I have missed?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Eurotuning, what is the current delivery time to the US for a kit for my 2003 beetle?
How are you guys all doing with your transmissions, John, Mike, greenie, windex, anybody else I have missed?
Coming up on 100k km on mine since installation 1.5 years ago (in at 369k, now at 458k). No issues at all with mine other than really low RPM in 6th. :D

Took several trips either to the east coast or down to Florida (3000km and 4000km) fully loaded through the mountains. No issues.

As in some posts, it is not a bad idea to get a tune for this kit, The extra power really lets you make the most of the tall gear.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Coming up on 100k km on mine since installation 1.5 years ago (in at 369k, now at 458k). No issues at all with mine other than really low RPM in 6th. :D

Took several trips either to the east coast or down to Florida (3000km and 4000km) fully loaded through the mountains. No issues.

As in some posts, it is not a bad idea to get a tune for this kit, The extra power really lets you make the most of the tall gear.
Very good to hear. I'd love to pick up one of these kits for mine, but it's just not in the budget at the moment (still have to pay for a new head and block machining). Maybe one day I'll get my LSD and convert to 6 speed at the same time.

Does the shifter tower, box, and cables all stay the same for this? Will it still work if I'm running an 02J tower and box in my 02A?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Very good to hear. I'd love to pick up one of these kits for mine, but it's just not in the budget at the moment (still have to pay for a new head and block machining). Maybe one day I'll get my LSD and convert to 6 speed at the same time.

Does the shifter tower, box, and cables all stay the same for this? Will it still work if I'm running an 02J tower and box in my 02A?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
Yup, it will work OK. I am running an 02J shifter setup in my 02A and it works fine.

There was a little adjustment (read heating up and bending slightly) of the golf club weight on the shifter to keep it from hitting the intake pipe (and in my case the it was also hitting 8L washer fluid reservoir pilfered from a GLX unit), but after that, it works fine and delivers as promised the much improved shifter feel over the stock unit.

It will also work just fine on the stock shifter mechanism if you choose, though finding 5th and 6th is a bit vague. Never missed a shift though.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
... How are you guys all doing with your transmissions, John, Mike, greenie, windex, anybody else I have missed?
Mine is still great thanks :) Car's now at 165k miles, and I did the upgrade at (I think) about 130k miles. Also still on the original clutch which is impressive given that the car has been remapped & the higher gear will be putting extra torque through it.

There are also a few others on the A2OC forum who haven't posted here, all theirs are still good from what I heard last.

It is important that the gearbox is in good condition to start with, if not then you should consider doing a refurb at the same time.

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
We have kits it stock, consignments are sent in 2 weeks after ordering, shipping time to USA takes about 7-10 days...
Send me motor type and gearbox code, please...
Radim

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I am happy as can be with it, still the very best modification I have done to the car. Zero issues.

Did get a bill for about $40 from U.S. Customs - so plan on that.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
John, have you had any alignment issues when hot?

Every so often when I've been driving for a long time, in hot weather, 6th gets a little more difficult to find.

I've adjusted the position of one of the cable ends every so slightly, and it seems to be fixed, but then it hasn't been all that cold here for a while.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
I've adjusted the position of one of the cable ends every so slightly, and it seems to be fixed, but then it hasn't been all that cold here for a while.
Could it be that the final adjustment (using shims) is ever so slightly out? i.e., steps 25 and 29.
http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/image/en/optimizing/pdf/ET_6gear_installation_instructions.pdf

There's also the shift link adjustment which it might be worth looking at (although it sounds like you have already done this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sheTKD03hmo

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The second vid is what I did, followed the adjustment procedure with the in-car alignement hole/drill bit, and the plastic lock-tab at the shift tower.

I might add that I don't think this has anything to do with the kit, as the 5/6 shim adjustment is bang on, after I messed it up the first time :D.

My working theory is that the cable ends expand in the heat ever so slightly, and that threw the adjustment off. Again, this only happened a couple of times after very long drives in the heat. I adjusted the side-to-side cable end to be one thread shorter, and it hasn't happened since. *fingers crossed*

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
I have been thinking quite a bit about this kit and how and where I drive.
I live in Western Washington, in an area with no 70 MPH speed limits. I travel to a few places that do have higher limits, but not very often. The vast majority of my driving will be between 60 and 70 at the most.
For these reasons, if I do get this it will be the .65 6th gear ratio. It makes no sense to lug the heck out of an engine that is very happy at 2000 RPM.

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
I was looking at the charts and now realize that my stock tire size is not 185 cm circumference, it is about 195 CM.
I wish they had a .62 gear :)

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Sadly, I have not taken the car for a long drive in quite a while. Not the car's fault. Just life right now. We don't get big temperature variations, unless we go to the mountains in winter. And my car spends it's nights in the garage (most of the time). So have not noticed any problem with the shifter.

John, have you had any alignment issues when hot?

Every so often when I've been driving for a long time, in hot weather, 6th gets a little more difficult to find.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I was looking at the charts and now realize that my stock tire size is not 185 cm circumference, it is about 195 CM.
I wish they had a .62 gear :)
.62 would be ideal I think. .65 would not be tall enough. The .59 in my car really shines at 120kph (about 75 mph), but can be used from about 65 upwards without feeling to "luggy".

As it is, if a .62 were available, I would be on the fence - I really like the low rpm long distance cruising in the .59. I guess it depends on speed limits and enforcement in your jurisdiction, as well as your personal driving style.

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
I can drive about 50 miles in any direction and get a ticket at 70 :p
I can get away with 65. I have a commercial driver's license to protect, so I have to be careful.