Virginia: FUELS TAX REFUNDS ON DIESEL PASSENGER VEHICLES

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)
How many of you from VA know about this? I just stumbled upon this today.

FUELS TAX REFUNDS ON DIESEL PASSENGER VEHICLES
Any person purchasing diesel fuel used in operating or propelling a passenger car, a pickup
or panel truck, or a truck having a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less is
entitled to a refund of a portion of the taxes paid in an amount equal to the difference
between the rate of tax on diesel fuel and the rate of tax on gasoline at the time of purchase.
"Passenger car," "pickup or panel truck," and "truck" are defined as follows.
"Passenger car" means every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle designed and used
primarily for the transportation of no more than 10 persons including the driver.

"Pickup or panel truck" means every motor vehicle designed for the transportation
o
f property and having a registered gross weight of 7,500 pounds or less.

"Truck" means every motor vehicle designed to transport property on its own structure
independent of any other vehicle and having a registered gross weight in excess of 7,500
pounds
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/taxact_2013.pdf

Apply online at www.dmvnow.com for a refund if you purchase diesel fuel for any of the qualifying vehicles.

Last edited:

AVEngineer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
I have filed for it before and need to do it again. I decided to take the quarterly approach to filing. You just have to decide if it is worth the hassle because you will need to save all of your fueling receipts and track you odometer. I managed to get around $12.00 back from a 3 month period.

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Its one of those things I keep meaning to do but never have the time. Does it seem worth the time to save receipts and file online?

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
Its one of those things I keep meaning to do but never have the time. Does it seem worth the time to save receipts and file online?
It only takes a few seconds to get a receipt and stash it somewhere. If scanning a few receipts in a few minutes nets me $10, sure. Over a year, it'll add up to a tank of fuel.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
It only takes a few seconds to get a receipt and stash it somewhere. If scanning a few receipts in a few minutes nets me $10, sure. Over a year, it'll add up to a tank of fuel.
Yeah...I took my Fuelly.com total to come up with ~$22 in tax refund at the moment. The problem with that method...I've done a lot of traveling around. Damn near half of my fuel was purchased outside of Virginia.:eek:

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got around to it and made a claim this morning. Getting a little more than $16 back.

Since July 2013, I've fueled 41 times, 10 of which were in Virginia and I only had 9 receipts because my wife accidentally threw one away in July when it first started. Wonder what I would have gotten back if all of them were in Virginia...:eek:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Well, I filled mine out around the beginning of Feb, over $50, and still waiting.

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Since July 1st, I've purchased about 344 gallons of diesel in VA. The estimator suggested a diesel tax refund of about $31.00. I'll shoot everything over to the DMV next week. Given what is costs to run the vehicle, this is just a drop in the bucket, but on principal it feels like a small victory in protest of the diesel tax penalty in the Commonwealth.

Today marked my 145th fuel up, all but three in Virginia. I love Fuelly and now use its iOS app with each tank.

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I submitted my first diesel tax credit on 10APR in person at DMV headquarters (I was there for a meeting). Curious to see how long it takes to process. The refund request ended up being about $33. Someone mentioned case of beer earlier, so "33" makes me think of Rolling Rock - with cash left over.

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)
I received a check in the mail from The Commonwealth of Virginia for a whopping $11.92 the other day. But for that little bit I can't see filling out the info a 2nd time.
But I'm glad the info helped out some people!

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
I received a check in the mail from The Commonwealth of Virginia for a whopping $11.92 the other day. But for that little bit I can't see filling out the info a 2nd time.
But I'm glad the info helped out some people!

For me it is principle.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
Got my check yesterday for $12.29, submitted it on 7 April 2014 and got it on 12 July 2014. I'm going to send another one.

millerman61

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav, DSG. Bought back on 12/23/16
It took me a long while to get my first check back too. I think I sent it in April and received it in June. I got like $27. I'll keep submitting. Government gets enough of my money already.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
just submitted november 2013 through july 2014 refund request. estimated refund is $23.11. i moved from VA to PA in july so hopefully i don't have any more to submit!