Just Viewed a A3 2.0tdi 138 - Advice Please

TDI
Audi A1 1.6 TDi S-Line
Hey guys,
Just been to take a look at a 2005 facelift A3 2.0tdi 138 Sport Sportback and it does seem like a nice car, but it has a few problems that maybe you could give me some advice on before purchasing.

There is a creaking noise from the drivers side front suspension on sharp turning. I checked it whilst stationary, and it looks like the spring moves in the suspension when full locking left or right and the top mount twists a little?

The car also has a warm start problem, where it takes the engine a few turns to start only when warm?

I had the car running for ten minutes after a short blast down the road and the engine fan kept kicking in? The temp gauge did not go above 90 half way?

Does anyone know what these are likely to be? And a rough estimate of cost? (UK)

There are no warning lights on the dash, the car drives really nice, recent tyres and service, new gearbox and clutch last month, bodywork and paint in near mint condition and the car is at a good price.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
I had the car running for ten minutes after a short blast down the road and the engine fan kept kicking in? The temp gauge did not go above 90 half way?
This is normal, both my A3 and wife's Golf wagon do the same. Don't know about other issues.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Release, welcome aboard! This car was not sold in the USA. I think the first year for our Audi A3 diesel was 2009. Engine was the P-D 140hp.

new gearbox and clutch last month.
^^^This would concern me. How many miles has it done? Why were such important components replaced :confused:

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Correction: PD140 never came to North America. Up until 2006 was PD110, post 2006 all TDI's discontinued due to new emmision regulations and mandatory ultra low sulphur diesel use as of Jan 1st 2007. TDI's VW and Audi re-introduced in 2009 with newer engine i.e. 2.0 CR [Common Rails] 140HP/236 torque etc. That is the car in question, north american cars only with different emmission system to comply with north american all 50 states and Ontario Canada rules etc. Engine wise both my VW and Audi's got the same engine as what release is looking at. Hope this helps.