Trip Meter Reset/Rollover/Maximum

TDI
04 Jetta Sport
Hey everyone. I track my mileage religiously with Fuelly. I use my trip meter to track the miles per tank. However, upon my last fuel up, I forgot to reset the trip meter. I decided to just let it continue logging kms until my next fuel up, then just subtract the last tanks kms.

Last night, I was performing a bypass on my Pioneer Double-Din. At no point did I lose power or interrupt power....but my trip meter seems to have reset. I'm a diehard Fuelly user so I dont want to miss even one fuel up. My question is: I was very near the 2000km mark on the trip meter, is it coincidence that I triggered a trip meter reset at this landmark? Or does the mkIV's trip meter max out at 2000km and automatically rollover?

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Why do you not just enter your actual miles and let fuelly figure out the miles per tank? I always enter my actual miles, but I always try to reset my trip at fuel up. I think it should just roll over and continue counting though.

TDI
04 Jetta Sport
It makes good sense to just use the odometer reading, but in 100,000kms, this is the only time I've ever forgotten to hit reset. Plus, I like gauging each tank at intervals, I aim for 1200km per tank, and the trip meter helps keep the math simple.

So do you think it'll roll over at 2000km or at 9999?

TDI
04 Jetta Sport
Good to know. I'm about to fuel up so I guess I'll find out if my mileage is off. Thanks for the info. I'll report back.

pkihome

TDI
1998 beetle and 2014 jetta
trip odo rolls over

I have a 2014 Jetta TDI and I just made trip - San Francisco to San Antonio and back.
I wanted to keep track of the total miles. But the Odo rolled over about 1900/2000 miles in both directions. It would not go beyond the 1900/2000 threshold.
It's quite an oversight in my opinion, what if I want a combined total? then I have to resort to pencil and paper I guess... Wow really modern car.
Just saying...

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
I have a 2014 Jetta TDI and I just made trip - San Francisco to San Antonio and back.
I wanted to keep track of the total miles. But the Odo rolled over about 1900/2000 miles in both directions. It would not go beyond the 1900/2000 threshold.
It's quite an oversight in my opinion, what if I want a combined total? then I have to resort to pencil and paper I guess... Wow really modern car.
Just saying...
Pretty much all cars I've driven in the past few years all have rolled over the trip meter at 2000km/Miles. It's normal.