Steering rack boot clamp

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I've replaced the inner and outer tire rods in the passenger side and having difficulties getting the boot clamp on, at the rack side. What's the trick? Do I need to make some custom tool?

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Some time ago I thought I needed to replace the inners and I bought a tool from Lisle to work in close quarters. I think it's Lisle 30600 and works with the tool aligned with the shaft. I later found I actually didn't need to do the work so I never tried it, but I've used it for other more standard situations. I apologize if I've misunderstood your question.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some time ago I thought I needed to replace the inners and I bought a tool from Lisle to work in close quarters. I think it's Lisle 30600 and works with the tool aligned with the shaft. I later found I actually didn't need to do the work so I never tried it, but I've used it for other more standard situations. I apologize if I've misunderstood your question.

Thanks for he reply. I've checked out that tool but it would only work if the steering rack was out of the car. I'm looking for a version of this tool that would work when the steering rack is still in the car.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No one replaced the inner tie rod with the streering rack in the car on this board before?

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Thanks for he reply. I've checked out that tool but it would only work if the steering rack was out of the car. I'm looking for a version of this tool that would work when the steering rack is still in the car.
Sorry to hear that it won't work. This photo is why I thought it might work, but as I said, I never actually had to give it a try.
https://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/resize/800x800/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/lis-30600.gif

Might PM Oilhammer. If anyone knows, likely to be him.

Last edited:

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Many folks have used zip ties for this repair. But I would personally find a way to used the factory oetiker clamp types.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Figured it out how to get this done. The following combination works secure the inner part of the steering rack boot on the driver side for a 2005 Passat:

Remove the plastic shield around from the car’s body that is around the inner tie rod. This will give you enough room to get your hands in far enough that you can push the boot onto the steering rack.

Don’t clamp the outer part of the boot to the tire rod and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right so that the boot is compressed.

Then reach in and slide the boot onto the steering rack.

How the hard part is done and all is needed is to secure the boot to the rack.

For this, get a Doorman CV boot clamp kit (has a small and a large diameter one in it). It works like a metal zip tie but is smooth. Use the large one and slide the end in so that it is just a bit larger than the boot.

Then slide it over to the end of the boot where it needs to be compressed.

To compress it, get a long reach needle nose pliers and grab the end that of the clamp that sticks out and start turning it counter clockwise. It will look like you are starting to open a can of sardines. This way the CV clamp can tighten on itself and you don’t have to hold it in place.

And that’s it!

Re install the plastic shield and you are all done.

Last edited: