TDI Toyota

1985yoder

TDI
2002 alh
Newbie here :D

I have a 1985 Toyota Pickup that blew a main bearing and I found out that TDI’s are very good replacement engines for the ole 22rs. So I bought a 2002 alh with 140,000 on it for 800 bucks.
The engine has a 1749v turbo and a 10mm pump on it. I had to replace the oil pan, rear main seal and turbo actuator. The engine is very clean inside and out.

I have everything to do the swap with except for the ecu and wiring harness. The dingbats that sold me my engine had cut the wiring harness right behind the end of the block. I contacted them and they have no idea where it went to so I can’t just wire it up and go. I will need an immobilizer delete, an egr delete and a coolant glow plug delete but that will be addressed later.

I contacted fast forward automotive and they gave me a bid of 1500 bucks for the harness, ecu, stage 1 malone tune and those deletes. If i was forced to go with fast forward, I will but I would like to not have to spend that much on electronics.

I found a wiring harness on Ebay for 175 bucks but the number on it is
038 971 627-f and Ive had no luck finding a matching ecu or it being mentioned anywhere online. It also says it’s for an alh from 1999.5-2003. What do you guys know about these kind of harnesses? What else would I need?

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
You could try Jeff Roberts of Rocketchips regarding a tuned ecu, he may sell them. Do you have junkyards in your area or someone parting a car on craigslist that you can get the connectors and/or ecu from. Also the engine control connectors. The whole harness contains a lot of wiring you don't need. Most connector pins where needed are available from IDparts.com. You can also purchase shielding to wrap the signal wires for the needle lift sensor. Wire can be cut out of junk car or purchased. You would be better making your own harness than trying to fit the convoluted mess from the Jetta under your hood.