www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Passat TDI Picture Gallery

Passat TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Passat TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old July 20th, 2017, 07:28   #121
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

My son's is just shy of 300k km now. Hasn't sold it, he finds it handy for running errands for larger items for the bike shop he co-owns. He will not do the timing belt, will get rid of it when that needs to happen (about 2 more years of driving). By then I plan to sell him my Mk VII Golf and get another Golf, this time a wagon. So far it's holding together well mechanically; original transmission, never had a fluid change (when VW said lifetime fluid, I took them seriously), original cam, balance shaft drive replaced with geared unit back at 181k km.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 07:40   #122
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Just turned 400k km. Original Cam, no BSM or automatic trans to worry about any longer either.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 07:46   #123
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

The one thing that's really killing my son's is corrosion. The 12-year warranty is now over since last October, and there are LARGEW rust holes in the left rear door. But VW didn't want to touch it with a 10-ft pole as it was the result of a poor collision repair. Can't blame them, they did change the two front doors, two front fenders, trunk deck (twice), right rear door (in part), and repaired the left rear quarter panel, over the years.
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:16   #124
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

See if you can find a door in the local wrecking yard - my local yard has a good selection of B5.5s in most colours...

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 12:07   #125
Tom_B
Veteran Member

We're at 211k miles, original cam, geared BSM at 90k and TC replaced at 145k. Don't want to jinx it but still running strong, drives and rides great.
Old July 30th, 2017, 12:44   #126
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
See if you can find a door in the local wrecking yard - my local yard has a good selection of B5.5s in most colours...
Moot point now. It finally died on my son, in New Brunswick, in the middle of nowhere. CEL, and won't shift. No doubt the torque converter blew. If he can't get it fixed at a reasonable cost, the car will be junked in New Brunswick.

I'm not confident it will be worth the cost to fix it, so I suspect it has driven its last miles (223 km) on a flatbed from wherever he was to Fredericton. The second, and probably last time it will be towed (previous time was when the steering rack seals failed, about 7 years ago).

Final tally will likely be 297,700 km. It's been a good car, some weak points (especially the CV joints, the balance shaft chain and the transmission/TC), but solid.