Updated VW approved oil list?

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I have been searching all over the forums for a while, and I can't find any official VW list of approved oils that is actually up to date. In fact, the only list I could find was made in 2005.

So, does anybody have access to a current list of VW approved oil brands and types with the specs that the individual oils meet? I tried calling the stealership, but of course, they have no idea about any other oils other than the Mobil oils they carry, and they have no idea about where to get a list of approved oils.

The oil I am trying to figure out is Schaeffer's 9000 series 5w40. It says that it "meets or exceeds VW 502 00, 505 00, and 505 01 specs". From everything I have found so far, it seems like this is not actually a VW approved oil, but I can't find any good solid documentation that actually omits this oil from an approved oil list, or that says specifically that this is not an approved oil.

A current list of VW approved oils, actually published or sanctioned by VWOA would be a really great resource here, because it could instantly answer any questions about which oils meet VW specs.

Thanks!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
If it does not say "approved", it isn't. It, like Amsoil are recommended by the oil manufacturer for a certain application without official testing. You will lose your factory engine warranty if you use that oil. (Schaeffer may warranty the engine at that point)

What Mobil oil do they carry that is 505.01 or 507.00?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I've got a lot more. Just lemme know how many you want

F250_JR said:
A current list of VW approved oils, actually published or sanctioned by VWOA would be a really great resource here, because it could instantly answer any questions about which oils meet VW specs.
Howdy, JR!

Here's a global oil list: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3005/V170801.pdf

Here's the USA oil list: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3009/USA2007list.jpg

Here's a broad list of VWoA fluids: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3005/2007_Fluid_capacity_chart.pdf

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's really simple!

F250_JR said:
The oil I am trying to figure out is Schaeffer's 9000 series 5w40. It says that it "meets or exceeds VW 502 00, 505 00, and 505 01 specs". From everything I have found so far, it seems like this is not actually a VW approved oil, but I can't find any good solid documentation that actually omits this oil from an approved oil list, or that says specifically that this is not an approved oil.
It's not, nor has it ever appeared on any VAG list. You do not need to dig any deeper :)

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
The Schaeffer oil I was talking about is actually oil my dad already has-its the same stuff he uses in his Ford. The dealer carries Castrol SLX Professional OE 5w30. I am just going to go with the dealer's oil, because I need to get the oil changed this weekend.

Just FWI, I also just got off the phone with a VW customer service rep, and he told me that there are actually only 4 VW spec ratings that are current: 502 00, 504 00, 505 01, and 507 00. He did not know anything about 506 00, which I have seen mentioned in other places on this site. He told me that those 4 specs were the only ones shown on the approved oil list from September of last year.

These are the oils that he said are the only ones that meet VW spec 505 01 (which is the one required for my 2005.5 TDI):
Castrol SLX Professional
Castrol SLX 505 01
Castrol SLX Professional OE
Total Quartz INEO MC3
Motul Specific
Elf Solaris LSX

I asked him about a list of VW approved oils, and he told me that he was not aware of any such list that is available to the public. He was working from the VW list that is part of their internal system which is not accessible to the public.

So, it looks like there is no list available. Maybe someone with inside connections has a list?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
F250_JR said:
So, it looks like there is no list available.

Hi, JR. Please look up a couple of posts. Your requested lists are there.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi everybody, sorry, I didn't see those posts until after I posted myself.

That list is exactly what I wanted. Someone really needs to make those lists a sticky on the top of this forum. I was pretty sure that the Schaeffer oil was not approved, but my dad had offered his oil to me, and he was all excited about helping me out. I was looking for confirmation as much for his sake as my own, so that he didn't think I was just ignoring his help.

Just out of curiosity, does this list mean that the other specs that were not listed there are now simply not used at all (like 503 00, and 506 00)? It doesn't really affect me, because they are not for my car, but I would like to know.

Thanks everybody!

BTW, those lists really need to be posted at the top of the forum.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
F250_JR said:
Just out of curiosity, does this list mean that the other specs that were not listed there are now simply not used at all (like 503 00, and 506 00)? It doesn't really affect me, because they are not for my car, but I would like to know.
Ben, there are lists covering these other standards, though the oils are essentially impossible to locate in USA/Can: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3005/50300_50601.pdf

FWIW, you need to stick to a compliant oil while under warranty and maintain your sales receipts. Save the experimentation for a time when the warranty is no longer in effect. I hope that makes sense.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I understand now. I guess I just never saw any regional references when people were talking about those specs.

And yes, I am being very careful to stick with a compliant oil. I have seen all of the Amsoil threads, and I prefer to simply stick with the oils that VW says will work with my car.

I appreciate all of the help.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My pleasure, let us know how else we might be of resistance!

Take care.

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/Taktonic 6sp. transmission, Silver; 1981 Rabbit pick-up
There is a TB out by VWoA of 15 pages that lists everything dated 1/11/08 that Drivebwire sent to me awhile back ... but can't seem to locate the post.

You might want to give him a try. It's saved me from some hassles already and I recommend it for the 'handy dandy' reference that many of us maintain.
FWIW

EDIT: AHA! FOUND IT....
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3005/V170801.pdf

F250_JR said:
I have been searching all over the forums for a while, and I can't find any official VW list of approved oils that is actually up to date. In fact, the only list I could find was made in 2005.

So, does anybody have access to a current list of VW approved oil brands and types with the specs that the individual oils meet? I tried calling the stealership, but of course, they have no idea about any other oils other than the Mobil oils they carry, and they have no idea about where to get a list of approved oils.

Thanks!

Last edited:

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks everybody for all the input. I don't know how my dad did it, but he found an updated list as well...I just couldn't seem to find one anywhere.

I really appreciate all the quick responses!

GenerationWHY

TDI
Jetta
Is this Oil ok?

I just got my oil changed at a local shop. They are insisting that the Castrol Syntec 5W30 is part of the approved oils for my car. I checked the forum's link to http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3005/V170801.pdf but it doesn't say that this is approved under 505.01 or 507.00. It's under 502.00. I thought that my 2006 Jetta TDI can only use the 505.01 or 507.00 oils which would make the Castrol Syntec 5W30 not an approved oil?

Thanks in advance!

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
GenerationWHY said:
I just got my oil changed at a local shop. They are insisting that the Castrol Syntec 5W30 is part of the approved oils for my car. I checked the forum's link to http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3005/V170801.pdf but it doesn't say that this is approved under 505.01 or 507.00. It's under 502.00. I thought that my 2006 Jetta TDI can only use the 505.01 or 507.00 oils which would make the Castrol Syntec 5W30 not an approved oil?

Thanks in advance!
I just checked the approved oil list, and confirmed what you are saying. When the manual says 505.01 or 507.00, anything lower than that number is not correct for that vehicle. Castrol Syntec 5W30 is still an approved oil, it is just not the correct oil for your car. I beleive your warranty will be void if you are running this oil, because it does not meet your car's specs.

If you can't or don't want to change the oil yourself, then I would just take it to the dealership, and get them to change the oil. Before you do that, call them on the phone, and verify that they are using an oil that is correct for your car.

Of course, if you have access to one of the TDI Club mechanics, then that would be much better than using the dealership. I say just go to the dealership because it is often the simplest option for last minute oil changes. If they mess your car up, then they will be completely responsible for it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Looking at the PDF, Castrol Syntec 5w30 meets NO vw specs (it's not even on the list), Syntec 5w40 meets only 502.00 and 505.00. Syntec 5w30 cannot be used in any VW, while Syntec 5w40 can be used in some gas and older TDIs where 502.00 and 505.00 are allowed.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GenerationWHY said:
F A I L :eek:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
And you better drain it quick as the only oil we know that is working in a PD besides VAG oils is CI4+ and CJ4.

For anyone in East Central Florida found reliable supply of Mobil ESP 5W30 5007 8.35+tax.

GenerationWHY

TDI
Jetta
What now??

Thanks for the quick replies!! What do you think I should do now? I got it done at Midas which I thought they would know what to do...I guess I'm out of warranty all of a sudden now!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
GenerationWHY said:
Thanks for the quick replies!! What do you think I should do now? I got it done at Midas which I thought they would know what to do...I guess I'm out of warranty all of a sudden now!
Since Midas put the wrong oil in, they would be on the hook for any damages... get something in writing if you can.

Get the oil out ASAP (like yesterday), and put the proper oil in and a new filter. Whether it's done at the dealer, a guru, or yourself. Possibly change oil and filter again really soon after to make sure all that nasty Sytnec 5w30 is out :p

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
Revolutionary_mind said:
Schaeffers S9000 5w-40 would likely outperform most of the oils on the 505.01 list.
However, I don't think it is on the VW approved oils list...which would lead to the same warranty issues that Generation is already dealing with. Not arguing Schaeffers quality, my dad uses it in his Ford 7.3 and he is really happy with it. Just pointing out the potential warranty compromise.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I wish we had a count of PD engines that lost their cam in < 60k. Bet its short.

GenerationWHY

TDI
Jetta
So this is great..I talked to the owner at the local Midas, after having to deal with a very unpleasant lady who refuses to give me her name (her reason being that she can't help me out anyway and why should it matter). He was very not helpful. He said that the Castrol rep told him VW engineers recently visited the Castrol plant and said that the oil is ok. The reason it's not on the approved list is because it may leave behind carbon deposits.

Being how terrible this place is, I definitely wouldn't go back there. He just offered to get some VW approved oil and change it for me. I asked for a refund and a paid service to the dealer to get it done properly. Obviously, he said he's not going to pay for it and said will just do a refund. I don't think I'll ever deal with those people again especially get terrible customer service. But I have to say thank you to all of you on this site here that replied. Always nice to hear from the people that actually knows.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
GenerationWHY said:
So this is great..I talked to the owner at the local Midas, after having to deal with a very unpleasant lady who refuses to give me her name (her reason being that she can't help me out anyway and why should it matter). He was very not helpful. He said that the Castrol rep told him VW engineers recently visited the Castrol plant and said that the oil is ok. The reason it's not on the approved list is because it may leave behind carbon deposits.

Being how terrible this place is, I definitely wouldn't go back there. He just offered to get some VW approved oil and change it for me. I asked for a refund and a paid service to the dealer to get it done properly. Obviously, he said he's not going to pay for it and said will just do a refund. I don't think I'll ever deal with those people again especially get terrible customer service. But I have to say thank you to all of you on this site here that replied. Always nice to hear from the people that actually knows.
For all your next oil changes, find a local TDI guru, do them yourself, or go the dealer. No more quickie lubes:D