Good Old Screwdriver in Lock Trick, again..

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
As the title reads, woke up to a broken lock cylinder, rummaged through interior, but nothing really taken (they even left my sunglasses and tire pressure gauge).

Question: Has anyone ordered a blank replacement? I mean one where there is nothing to stick a flippin screwdriver in to ? Does it exist? Can I order a passenger door handle plastic cover and just snap it on?

Getting these things replaced is starting to suck, big time.

Also, what did they want from my manual, is there a code for my key in there?

Any solutions to this problem would be well appreciated.
________
cheap vaporizers

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Sorry, that stinks! You mean VW has not fixed this known security problem on the '06s? This has been a shortfall for a few years now.

--Nate

kev25v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat TDI 4Motion
If you have RCL put two rear door handles on the front and do away with the key.

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
06 Golf is still Mk IV, Mk V's are called Rabbits.......same old lock though.....

I remember when they got my wife's 02 Jetta the same way thinking, how can it be so easy....
________
buy silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited:

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
Thanks guys, I was thinking something along those lines..... I forgot about the radio code...... good thing is my dealership gave me a little pleather bag to keep the spare, valet, key code and radio code in.

Thing is I have a $500 deductable, and from experience it is going to cost just under $300 to fix (read to set it up for the next screwdriver). So what is the point?

If anyone knows the part no's I will need for the conversion, it would be appreciated....
________
extreme q vaporizer

Last edited:

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
There are a couple possible downsides I see to this plan.

1. Will you crawl through the hatch if the battery fails/leave lights on?
2. The hatch still has a key.
3. The window could now be the target instead of the lock cylinder. (If I were a thief I don't know if I'd go on looking or just crack the window with a rag on a hammer or something).

chadderbox

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Had the same thing happen to me twice. Cost me about $200 a pop to fix just the cylinder and the key hole cap. Luckily not alot of damage to the door handle itself. I had considered the same idea of getting the passenger side handle with the cap, but thought against it due to the fact that i bet if someone was to try breaking in the usual way, and saw a capped door handle, they would just try to bust that off, or as mentioned trying the window route or something that might cause more damage. the way i see it, replacing the cylinder is the cheapest. so my mechanic gave me essentially 2 options.....get a real alarm system, or deal with replacing the lock cylinder from time to time.....

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Theft is very frustrating I'm not sure what I would do if I were in your situation. Thoughts of a propane powered flame thrower come to mind though.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
This may sound really dumb....

How about just leaving it unlocked? If they are going to break in anyway you might as well save the repair costs.

Actually, I like the flame thrower idea a lot better but suspect the incoming liberal leadeship here in the States may frown on it in US cars :)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
daedalus said:
How about just leaving it unlocked? If they are going to break in anyway you might as well save the repair costs.
About 10 years ago there were a number of break-ins in my condo over a period of several months... The guy who parked his Saab next to my car used to leave his car unlocked... still had his windows broken twice...

Sometimes you just can't win...

Yuri.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Check out the wild game cameras at Cabelas'. When you have a picture
its time to go 'hunting'. Don't forget to field dress 'em before you call the
cops.

Bill

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
well, here is the thing. The lock works, and so does the remote, it just looks like ass, if you actually look at the keyhole. Right now, I figure why bother fixing it?

But I'm sure my battery will fail or something and it will be ME that cant get in........ I hate how ironic life will get sometimes
________
Honda CBR600RR

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
40X40 said:
Check out the wild game cameras at Cabelas'. When you have a picture its time to go 'hunting'. Don't forget to field dress 'em before you call the cops. Bill
__. Friend of mine once rigged up a "wireless" motorcycle alarm so that the audible alarm didn't go off. He parked his motorcycle across from his bedroom window in the alley and kept a loaded AR next to the window. I always thought that he was very lucky that the alarm never went off. Of course, his bike was never bothered, either.

jella01

I always thought it would be fun to somehow hook up an electrical current to the door handles when you lock it. Then when the greasy dirtbags go to get in ZAP! It wouldnt have to be a big shock just something that will leave the skin from their fingers on the door handles. HAHAHAHAHA

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I'm surprised they didn't use the tennis ball trick...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, somebody's got to ask, so I will: What's the "tennis ball trick"?

--Nate

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
daedalus said:
Actually, I like the flame thrower idea a lot better but suspect the incoming liberal leadeship here in the States may frown on it in US cars :)
It's okay, we like the idea in the blue liberal states too ;)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the Tennis ball link. Nope, I never heard of that. Seems pretty far fetched. I don't beleive it would work on most cars.

--Nate

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
PDJetta said:
Thanks for the Tennis ball link. Nope, I never heard of that. Seems pretty far fetched. I don't beleive it would work on most cars.
It won't work on any car unless the cameraman has the key fob and hits unlock at just the right moment.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
You know, a quick solution could be to run a power wire down into the bumper area or something so that if/'when the battery goes dead you can hook it up to an external power source to open the doors.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
daedalus said:
This may sound really dumb....

Even the worst lock will keep out the laziest thieves, of which there are many. Also, the thieves who will break things to get in might not notice whether the car is unlocked to begin with.

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
Dammit, some thief used the screwdriver trick on my 2002 Golf TDI last night, right outside my house...I'll have to replace the tumbler at the stealership today.

I don't keep anything extremely valuable in my car, so all that was stolen were my $300 prescription sunglasses (useless to them), my $30 Sennheiser earphones, and maybe $10 in loose change. Pain in the ass though, and I hate the thought that somebody unknown has been in my car.

I'm guessing they were just kids, as they didn't steal any of my charging cables, try to rip the stereo out, or even open the garage door to steal anything inside the garage (granted, I was inside at the time).

I don't know what my options should be at this point in time. I think I will still replace the tumbler, in case my keyfob runs out of batteries, and see if I can get somebody to do this CCM mod.

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
I would put a blank plate in the door lock.
If your FOB dies, use the hatch.

In Vancouver, I also leave nothing in my car (not even change or CD's) and leave your glovebox open and empty.
I had a friend's van get broken into for some fruit and granola bars sitting on the seat. They'll take anything.

Did you see the CBC 5th Estate show about car break ins in Vancouver? Loosing battle

Last edited:

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
Ironic, but my buddy just had his Murano AND CLK broken into, in his garage yesterday. No alarm, no broken windows, he didn't even notice until he tried to turn on his portable GPS nav, which was gone.

The weirdest thing, his center armrest opens with a latch/button on the front. They ripped it off but couldn't figure out how to open it, so they just left it. Imagine, you can break into a CLK and murano but can't figure out how to open an armrest.

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
grrr.

i'm contemplating replacing it with a blank plate, but I don't like the idea of crawling into my car through the hatch if my battery dies.

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
After seeing that picture, I prefer the idea of crawling through my hatch :)