MN Chat Thread

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
During the season... There's some specialty places you can buy it year round. It's expensive though.
Hmmm, if your freezer isn’t full, you spend too much time working. I spent about 6 or 7 years working for underground pipe contractors in the 90’s. We would get laid off on November 14th every year. It was great! Until I got tired of having no summer. I’ve never bought Venison, but the only moose around here walk around jobsites on two legs

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Not in my area. We just have deer far as venison animals go. Lots and lots of wildlife around here tho!
sounds nice, If you guys have one up there maybe I can persuade Pakman to go on a roadtrip

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
In Cambrige in front of the isanti county fairgrounds there's an area (parking lot) where they have flea markets and sales and such every so often. I wonder who we'd have to get in touch with to see if we could use that space? Would be a good area, and could grill some brats or something.
I know the fairgrounds manager and he won't go for that. Any GTG there is going to cost $.

Don’t you guys have any moose meat?
:LOL: no but do have some bear meat in the freezer. :)

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Ok, glad you know someone then so i don't have to look. Idk of any other ideas on places. Can't think of any in the area, maybe princeton? But cant think of any areas. My only other thought is that during the summer they have car shows in coonrapids on Saturdays driving up and down the streets and there's a lot of parking and we could all go to the car show and set up ourselves in one of the parking lots and talk tdi's/watch the other cars drive by. And could drive our cars around too. Always lots of fun to see all the cars out there. Saw my first blown car there last year.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Seems like there are a couple VW car shows, get togethers up in MPLS in the summer.
Who puts them on? maybe find out when/where the next one is.
Chad at SCI probably won't have his swap meet in May this year since he's gone on to teach.
Or has anyone heard and word about that?

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
Thanks again for the recommendation on Precision Imports. I had the car towed there last week and they called Friday with the bad news, blown turbo. Too bad I'm 10k miles past the extended emissions warranty. They quoted $4,700 for replacement of the turbo and oil pump. At that price and knowing I'm quite mechanically capable, what are some other options/recommendations if I were to do this replacement myself? I'm not opposed to reducing weight and tuning.

Conversely, what do you guys think its worth as it sits? '13 Passat TDI SEL, 157K miles, white exterior, black interior, new battery, 19" audi knock-off wheels with 50% tread, new suspension in the last 10k miles (koni shocks, eibach springs, H&R rear sway).

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks again for the recommendation on Precision Imports. I had the car towed there last week and they called Friday with the bad news, blown turbo. Too bad I'm 10k miles past the extended emissions warranty. They quoted $4,700 for replacement of the turbo and oil pump. At that price and knowing I'm quite mechanically capable, what are some other options/recommendations if I were to do this replacement myself? I'm not opposed to reducing weight and tuning.

Conversely, what do you guys think its worth as it sits? '13 Passat TDI SEL, 157K miles, white exterior, black interior, new battery, 19" audi knock-off wheels with 50% tread, new suspension in the last 10k miles (koni shocks, eibach springs, H&R rear sway).
Are these the engines that have turbos backordered worldwide?

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
Are these the engines that have turbos backordered worldwide?
Possibly. 03L253010J I think is the part. I've found some dealers show "limited stock" while other show "back ordered." I think we all know that's not a good sign. It does show available through ECS Tuning, and I'd trust their inventory control to be more accurate than the dealer network.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know the fairgrounds manager and he won't go for that. Any GTG there is going to cost $.

:LOL: no but do have some bear meat in the freezer. :)
Whitetail steaks for Easter dinner tonight
Yeah, roadtrip would be entertaining... :) By now, we are about 6 months out on Kirk's GTG.
cheers,
Douglas
in one half a year, the weather could be The same as now already

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
If anyone is interested I have a mk4 code egr trans stock 5th gear set that someone can have. Forums have been good to me so if you want it its yours. Haven't gotten to posting on FB yet so throwing it out here.
It came out of my old trans but seems to be in good shape.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hey, does anyone know if the dq250 came with different gearing? Or are they the same... I'm not having luck finding this information

Last edited:

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'd be up for a GTG also, depending on when. I'd maybe drive the duraburb vs the rusted mk5 though... the duraburb is more fun to look at than a stock jetta. haha!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
What wpuld we want to do at a gtg? Hangout, eat, bbq? Or do they usually do something different at these things?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Generally, yes. Completely up to the host though.

What sucks is when people show up expecting to get their car fixed, tackle repairs they're not equipped (or confident enough) to tackle. Something goes sideways and now they need a ride home and the host is left with an inoperable car on their property.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes that could be irritating. Unless they hand the host the title😉 then it would be kinda nice. I'll do some looking around and see if i can find a good place that we could have it.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The best GTGs I've been to included people working on cars: oldpoopie (Justin?) doing timing belts, Jeff from RocketChip installing engine tunes, Frank Irving selling and balancing injector nozzles, or even just a major vendor delivering parts in person.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, Ya I've seen stuff from the big ones, but i think it may be hard to pull one off that big. Sounds great tho! Like haydays

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Ok, Ya I've seen stuff from the big ones, but I think it may be hard to pull one off that big. Sounds great tho! Like haydays
Maybe just a demonstration, like how to do a pre-purchase inspection? Or how to diagnose a common problem? Or some kind of panel discussion where rookie TDI enthusiasts ask veterans whatever pops into mind?

What a GTG needs is an agenda, not just a meeting place.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
I 1st started fixing cars , motorcycles etc. before I got my driving lic.in the 60s .
Did or a living & as a business , even go into racing / the shop i did that with was northern CA , hot rods , mud & pull trucks .
The owner was big into VWs , he was known for modding VW buses for the mountains ---- by swapping in Corvair engines , the 1st time I ever saw a Predator carburetor - he built a bug for his kid aircooled with the Predator on top ;)
Now with a new to me 03 Jetta wagon AT , too many things to do , got MT parts kits here , timing belt kit , shocks all around .
So doing a repair day - would be fun to attack some of this .
No shop anymore , easy to keep up with all the goodies lift etc.
Feeling like old farters is slowing my down a lot .

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Maybe just a demonstration, like how to do a pre-purchase inspection? Or how to diagnose a common problem? Or some kind of panel discussion where rookie TDI enthusiasts ask veterans whatever pops into mind?

What a GTG needs is an agenda, not just a meeting place.
True. The other ones have been at someons place with a garage and lift to help ppl repair something they couldn't afford to pay to have done. Basically to show them it's not hard. And others have brought food and there was also a venue of some sort to go to. Car show, flea market etc

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I 1st started fixing cars , motorcycles etc. before I got my driving lic.in the 60s .
Did or a living & as a business , even go into racing / the shop i did that with was northern CA , hot rods , mud & pull trucks .
The owner was big into VWs , he was known for modding VW buses for the mountains ---- by swapping in Corvair engines , the 1st time I ever saw a Predator carburetor - he built a bug for his kid aircooled with the Predator on top ;)
Now with a new to me 03 Jetta wagon AT , too many things to do , got MT parts kits here , timing belt kit , shocks all around .
So doing a repair day - would be fun to attack some of this .
No shop anymore , easy to keep up with all the goodies lift etc.
Feeling like old farters is slowing my down a lot .
If I was closer I'd give ya a hand. I love tinkering on things.

wiz99

TDI
2005 VW Jetta GLS TDI - Plantinum w/ Grey Leather
Last edited: