www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old July 9th, 2010, 12:12   #1
tha vwkid

Default did not startup after fueling!!

So early Monday morning on the way home from the festivities, I stopped to fill up. She has been a dream.. (well aside from some ass hitting me and doing five grand in damages, but thats another story) ..so I have had no engine issues for the six months I've owned her. Roadside assistance had someone come to jump me even though I told them I needed a tow cause it was turning over, (all my electrical was working, hello I was using the bluetooth to talk to them!) who is VW outsourcing this to by the way?! So when it finally gets to the dealership later that day, it still is a no go. They got to it the next morning and it fired up just fine, guy said the computer logged no faults, ***?! Any idea's?
Im about a tank away from hitting five thousand miles, are you guys changing your oil early or waiting till the recommended ten? few service guys from the dealership are saying they would do five, heard a mech say to wait for ten tho.. I'm not mechanically savvy though, so please do tell!
tha vwkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:25   #2
Moccasin

Were you really low on fuel before you filled up?
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:40   #3
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Hmmmm. No fault no starts are pretty tough to diagnose when it starts later, especially considering how new the car is.

As far as the oil change, Go by what the owners manual says. Wait until 10K. Most of the time the engineers know what they are doing. The dealership who says 5K on the new TDI's is just trying to make a little more money. They CAN NOT void your warranty or deny a warranty claim (should something happen) because you were following the OCI that is in the manual. Unless they have hard proof that Vw revised it. In which case they vw would have been required to send an owners manual suppliment to each and every owner.

If the dealership insists that the oil should be changed at 5K, have them print out the maintenance schedule and show you where it says 5K.
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:53   #4
740GLE
Veteran Member

Poeple noticed some winter starting odditiys last year. It seemed everything electrically was fine except the ECU thought otherwise and wouldn't crank over and left no MIL or codes thrown. My personal thought was mostiure/frost building up on the MAF durring cold runs then heated up and condensed and caused the ECU to freak out.

Thowing out a long shot, what's the humidity in your area right now? I know we've had a killer heat wave over here, not sure if you guys are having a bit of rain?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 13:37   #5
tha vwkid

I had been on E for about twenty miles or so..

So I guess I'm just gonna wait till ten, no argument from me, dont mind saving the extra $$ as long as it doesn't hurt her.

Our fourth was a bit cloudy, but no rain.. its been warm here (for seattle) so 70-80s.
Old July 9th, 2010, 14:45   #6
Moltenburn
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha vwkid View Post
I had been on E for about twenty miles or so.. .

This sounds like the issue right here. Even though a car will let you run it till empty, never ever do it. When the tank gets low on fuel the fuel pump has to work extra hard to suck the remaining reminants out. You should always fill up before you get to E. I wait till my light comes on and the range on the MFI reads no less then 25miles to go.

Sounds like you might have shocked your fuel pump and it kicked back on after a day of no use. Seriously people watch your a-s-s on these things.

SOLD: 2010 CW Golf 4dr TDI. 6M, Moon, Cold Weather

Avg MPG
Moltenburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 14:58   #7
back2vw
Veteran Member

With a 600 mile range you guys are waiting until the fuel light is on?
I always try to fill up at half a tank. Have you ever had a midnight call from a friend or family member in an emergency? It's hardly the time you want to make a stop for fuel.

I also think that the fuel pump is probably sitting on the bottom of the tank. Keeping at least 1/4 tank of fuel would help keep the pump cool.
back2vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 15:19   #8
vw_leadfoot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~6.4L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2vw View Post
....Have you ever had a midnight call from a friend or family member in an emergency? It's hardly the time you want to make a stop for fuel.
If you're from the North East, remember the Blackout of 2003? Always keep her topped up......
2010 Golf TDI SportWagen|2.0L DSG|Highline Trim Level|Deep Black Pearl|Black Leather|Pano-roof|Fog lights|Eibach Pro-Kit|H&R 24mm RSB|OEM Cargo Partition|BlackVue DR500GW-HD|SS Bumper Protector|SS Tips|SS Pedals|Aspherical Mirrors|Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 35F/15R|Chrome Rear Accent Strip|WeatherTech Digital Fit mats|Armadillo Skid Plate|Westfalia Euro Hitch with Custom Harness|17" Porto's - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus|16" Bioline's - Michelin X-Ice Xi2
vw_leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 15:22   #9
back2vw
Veteran Member

Two winters ago we had a big ice storm and lost power for a couple of weeks, and the temps were in the single digits. I was glad to have a full tank in my truck and five gallons in the garage.
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:12   #10
Moccasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha vwkid View Post
I had been on E for about twenty miles or so..
That's why I asked. I had my Golf shipped to me from an out of state dealer. Much to my chagrin, they shipped it with NO fuel in it. Half of a gallon at best. I had to drive a couple of miles to the nearest diesel station, and mere minutes after owning my car it wouldn't start. I freaked out and almost called roadside assistance when I said to myself, let me see what happens if I blip the throttle when trying to turn it over. Sure enough, it fired right up. I think folks are right to recommend not running it all the way to E, but maybe next time try blipping the throttle?
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:35   #11
securityguy
Veteran Member

I never understood why anyone would ever knowingly place themselves in this position. 1/4 tank at least and it's time to refuel. Do you like living dangerously and on the edge Doesn't sound these cars like it much
Old July 10th, 2010, 13:09   #12
bruce846
Veteran Member

TDI(s): No TDI's

When I was a GA pilot I used to top off for a 20 minute flight even if I only needed 3 gallons... you just never know do you?
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:49   #13
tha vwkid

Now I know, its not something I make a habit of.. the light had gone off and I had forgotten until I got back into town.
Old July 11th, 2010, 18:41   #14
RomanL
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '10 GOLF TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityguy View Post
I never understood why anyone would ever knowingly place themselves in this position. 1/4 tank at least and it's time to refuel. Do you like living dangerously and on the edge Doesn't sound these cars like it much
Because on these cars 1/4 tank is another 120-150miles. That's more the 3 days of average rt commute to work for most Americans. Long road trip in the mddle of nowhere is a different story.
Someone said to fill up at half tank in case of emergency? Really when was the last time you got a call to drive 300 miles (1/2 tank) and not have 4 min to stop for more gas.
I got the car for those 550-650 tanks and not having to stop as often.
When my light goes on (1.9 gallons I believe is reserve?) that's another 80 miles with my average. Plenty of time to find a station

RomanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 20:55   #15
back2vw
Veteran Member

Well obviously it's different for each person and each situation. I was mostly referring to my truck, that I LIKE to refuel around 1/2 tank although I don't always. A 1/4 tank of gas in my truck doesn't get me that far, and I live in a rural area. Not the concrete jungle that is socal. My drive to work is around 35 miles on a country road, and 35 miles back. I work on call, when my phone rings I grab my **** and go. Leaving myself in a position where I would need to stop and get fuel on the way (or back) would be retarded for me. There are still plenty of places here that are pay inside only, closed at night. Driving along a nearly deserted road with no gas stations nearby, staring at your gas light isn't my idea of fun.

In Oregon, I often went to see friends/family all over the state through mountain and desert roads. Several times I've taken the truck far into the mountains late at night to rescue a friends broken or stuck vehicle. Finding an open gas station (no self serve in Oregon) at night isn't always easy. Having to back track to find fuel is less than ideal as well.
Or on another occasion where my best friend was nearly killed in a motorcycle accident 150 miles away, and his wife needed support as he was still unconscious. Not the time you want to have to stop and think about fuel.
It also wasn't uncommon to have storms where I grew up that left the place without power for several days, and the towns were somewhat isolated. The storms that brought powerlines down generally closed roads with fallen trees. It was always good to have fuel and be able to help friends and family when they needed it, instead of hunkering down and worrying about having enough fuel to last.

I could not care less if other people want to run their cars to empty, except when the idiots around here run out of fuel in the middle of the road. Oddly enough it happens here ALL the time. It seems like at least twice a month I come up to a spot in the road where traffic is backed up, and I find someone walking back toward the car with a can of gas. I just don't understand why you would want to do that. I would rather have it and not need it, than the other way around. I can't think of a single time in my truck, a car, or a helicopter than I'm flying where I wished I had LESS fuel (unless it was a weight consideration).

Having a car that can go 600+ miles between fill-ups is awesome, but my feeling is... Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. I will gladly stop and spend five minutes to fuel the car/truck before I get to empty. On the other hand, I've known plenty of people who drive on empty all the time and refuse to put more than $10 of fuel in their car for some reason, and never have problems with it. To each his own.

Last edited by back2vw; July 12th, 2010 at 08:26.