Power loss upon high revs under load

Rossdsc

TDI
04 Silver Jetta Wagon
I have the original TDI shipped into the country in 97. I know that this was an early model of which later 97 cars may have been modified. I am experiencing a loss of power when I rev the car high under load. Ie - driving up a long hill, or taking an off ramp quickly. The car feels like the turbo is now longer working and will not properly accelerate or rev. It still runs, but the engine must be turned off and on in order to "reset" the engine. Has any one ever experienced this and found a fix, as the dozen garages I have asked cannot see "computer" or find anything out of the ordinary, only that it does it.

Thanks

Rossdsc

Bud62

TDI
Passat 115 PD
Almost certainly the MAF sensor. I would'nt bother cleaning it, (unless its blocked with debris and that should not happen if the air filter is okay), I'd just fit a new one. Approx. equivalent price is $150 in the UK, but I think you'll probably pay a lot less in the US (you usually do!! :))))

Mine went at about 70,000 miles (year 2000 TDI PD 115BHP)

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Not the MAF if it "resets" upon turning off/on. Also, the B4 MAFs were rather robust - and can be cleaned since they are of the "hot wire" type.

More likely a problem with one of the hoses (vaccum lines - kinda) around the N75 valve. Look for the device on the firewall that has three lines coming from ie - a red, blue and black one. Follow these lines carefully to see if any have a hole in them. You also have a small length of hose inside your ECU that could be the issue. Somewhere you're ecu is seeing a different boost level than it thinks should be, so it drops you into "limp" mode.

Could also be the N75 itself, but if this only happens under load, I'd suspect one of the vaccum (actually, pressure) lines.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I second what rdkern recommends. Replace all of the tubing, and clean the N75 with electronic contact cleaner.