TDI's in Illinois

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

Brookfield, IL. About ½ block south of S.E. Gross School. Black Jetta Sport Wagon TDI. Anyone here?

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Today in northern Kane county:

I was driving:
I knew to look here when the girl who was borrowing my car said she saw someone taking a picture of her driving! LOL!! Mine is the white golf, good spot!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

Today at around 10:30AM I was southbound on IL Route 83 near North Avenue and spotted a golden colored A5 Jetta TDI that was also heading south. Car had Illinois plates that started with X92, a small spoiler on the deck lid, and had a Autobarn VW-Countryside license plate frame. I'm guessing it was a CR car because the I in TDI on the trunk was blue. Looked like a younger woman driving. I got off IL83 at Ogden Avenue and you kept going south. Anybody here care to claim this one?

Dan

TDI
None
I've seen a bunch of diesels up by me lately, at least one or two a day, but most of them are oblivious when I wave or look at them funny. Haven't seen any with a plate frame/sticker and when they see mine they give me a weird look.

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Ryan:

I'll agree with your there. Most new TDI drivers I see appear clueless, at best, about any other cars around them. I think most new buyers are only in a TDI for the fuel mileage, and not to be a VW or TDI enthusiast. The bright side is that there are always the folks on Fred's out there and finding another one of them on the road is truely a find!

Dan

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Maroon (Spice red?) A4 Jetta

Volks:

While driving around Brookfield today I spotted a maroon red colored A4 Jetta TDI near the intersection of Kemman and Monroe. Car had Illinois plates that started with L20. Anybody here's car?

Dan

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Look for my tornado red B4 Passat TDI with factory spoiler, lots of bumper stickers, and newly mounted TDIClub license plate frame. We are in Rockford, Dekalb/Sycamore, and lower Wisconsin. Of course, we are in other areas as well, too.

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
sfierz:

Tornado red was always one of my favorite colors. I had a 1985 Jetta GLI that was tornado red at one time. I'll keep an eye out for you. You should be hard to miss.

Dan

Last edited:

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I just got mine a couple weeks back and am loving every minute of it.

I'm downtown mostly... Not too many Golf TDIs down here, but lots of JSWs. And FWIW I notice my other diesel brethren! Not sure if they notice me though.. haha.

See ya out there... I'm in a CW 4dr with 35% window tint and a partially debadged rear!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Feyd:

Welcome aboard! Is CW campanello white?

Dan

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Volks:

At about 11:15AM today I was driving south on Des Plaines Avenue in North Riverside and was passed by a Gray 4-door A4 Golf TDI. Car had Illinois plates that started with 644 and had a Larry Roesch license plate frame. Anybody care to claim this one?

Dan

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Feyd:
Welcome aboard! Is CW campanello white?
Dan
Candy white!

I have no real pics of the car yet. Will probably do a small photo shoot once my springs get installed.

The only one I took the night I brought it home:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Touareg TDI

Volks:

Driving in Lombard area today and spotted a Black Touareg TDI driving north on Highland Avenue. Vehicle had Illinois plates that started with KRW and an Autobarn VW-Countryside plate frame. Anybody care to claim this one?

Dan

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Volks:

At just before 10AM today I was heading south on I-88 in the area south of Ogden Avenue and was passed by a white A5 Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Car had Illinois license plates that started with A76 and a Autobarn VW-Countryside plate frame. I took the I-55 exit toward Chicago and you took the I-55 exit toward St. Louis. I was driving Liath at the time. Anybody care to claim this one?

Dan

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Spotted: Friday, March 3 2011 around 6:55P in Joliet - Green MkIII Jetta TDI sporting a Fred's TDI Club frame leaving Thornton's in Joliet off of Jefferson and Infantry and turned into Inwood stadium shortly thereafter. I was in my dark blue '09 with TDIClub frame and passed you.

Nice car btw.. I'd love to have it!!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Another hometown TDI

Volks:

Coming home this afternoon I spotted another TDI in Brookfield. Car was parked near the intersection of Madison and Fairview and was a Green A4 Jetta TDI. Illinois plates started with 955 and car had wheel covers rather than alloy wheels. Anybody care to claim this one?

Dan

TDI
None
Jeez Dan, are you just driving around looking for diesels or what? :)

I saw a cool older Passat Wagon TDI yesterday cruising around Arlington Heights/EGV, A3 body style, dark green, really nice condition...no club plate....believe it was cruising on Arlington Heights Rd/Landmeier but can't remember for sure. I wanted to stop and offer you cash for the car it was so nice! Can anyone claim it?

There's also a red A5/6 Jetta TDI Sedan with a giant blackhawks sticker on the back window on my morning commute....gets off at Biesterfield from 290-W...

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 audi tt alh swap, 2014 chevy cruze diesel that replaced 2012 jetta tdi, 2008 dodge cummins
Spotted: Friday, March 3 2011 around 6:55P in Joliet - Green MkIII Jetta TDI sporting a Fred's TDI Club frame leaving Thornton's in Joliet off of Jefferson and Infantry and turned into Inwood stadium shortly thereafter. I was in my dark blue '09 with TDIClub frame and passed you.

Nice car btw.. I'd love to have it!!
That's my old car, I sold it to a guy that lives over there a few months ago.

ChubsAuto

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2005 TDI Passat, 2003 Jetta Sedan
TDI's around Litchfield

I was driving on I-55 today and stopped in Litchfield for lunch and saw a couple TDI's and an older Mercedes diesel. The first was a silver Bug with black wheels getting fuel, it had a license plate frame but I wasnt close enough to tell if it was from TDI club. I dont recall what the others were or there colors, they were leaving as I was getting there. There was also a red Jetta TDI that I passed before exiting the interstate heading back to home. I didnt see any plate from on it, so I dunno if it belonged to anyone around here or not. So if you saw a black Passat TDI with a TDI club plate frame on it, that was me.

Lost680

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta Blue 2001 Jetta TDI
Well i finely put a frame on mine. Dark blue 2006 Jetta. I have been driving I 90 Rockford to O"hare for 22 years driving VW diesels. Never have seen a TDI club frame.

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Ordered some stickers last night... Perhaps now I'll be identified. LOL.

I also took a new job that'll be 60 miles of commuting each day. See ya out there :D

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Feyd:

Which way are you heading so I know if I should be looking for you?

Dan

unionamt

TDI
2006 jetta pkg1 DSG
I drive I90, 62,or 72 from Algonquin to Ohare tue-sat. There's at least 20 tdi's I see at Ohare, but no plate frames or stickers.

ken_e

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
On the other side of the river, but I'm ordering my plate frame now so you can spot me... I'm up in Chicago a few times a year.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
unionamt:

You could always call the cars you see out by color, the first few digits of the license plate number, or any other distinguishing items on the car (ie dealer plate frame, decals, body style, etc). Just because there's no TDI Club plate frame doesn't mean that they aren't a member. Also, seeing a TDI Club plate frame doesn't guarantee that the member actually checks the Sightings Forum either. Awhile back there was a movement on to eliminate the Sightings Forum altogether, so post 'em if you got 'em! And welcome to Fred's!

Dan

Last edited:

unionamt

TDI
2006 jetta pkg1 DSG
At Ohare I park in the continental lot, green 2006 jetta. A guy I work with has a white 09 jetta. I also see in the same lot a silver mk4 jetta, also a black mk5 jetta, and a dark grey 09/10 jetta. When I was on 2nd shift I would see a dark grey mk4 usually on Higgins/Arlington heights on the way in. Never paid attention to license plate numbers. Those are the ones off the top of my head I remember.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Silver A4 Jetta TDI

Volks:

Here's another one for you, Ryan! Today at about 4PM I was heading east on I-88 and right at IL Rte 53 I was passed by the referenced car. It had Illinois plates that started with 554. Anybody here's car?

Dan

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Green A4 Jetta TDI

Volks:

On the way home earlier today (10:45AM) I was heading west/north on the ramp from Archer Avenue to First Avenue after exiting I-55. I caught up with and passed the referenced car just as it was exiting onto the ramp for Joliet Road. Car had Illinois plates that started with 965 or 956, but I think it was 965. Anybody here's car?

Dan