Please Help, Oil Everywhere

k98shooter

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
My wife calls me 100 miles away that low oil warning light came on the dash. I did oil change three days ago and my first thought was I didn't tighten the plug well enough. Got there, opened the hood and whole engine bay is wet with oil. The engine cover, oil collected on the lid of fuel filter reservoir, intercooler wet.:mad: I checked oil filter lid the seal is in correct place and it was screwed in tight. I doubt it has anything to do with the oil plug, I could feel it is finger tight but I couldn't get under the car to get wrench there. Any suggestion much appreciated...

Last edited:

k98shooter

TDI
Oil cap was in place. I didnt take pictures, left the car there and heading home, thinking what to do tomorrow... I am wondering if it could be oil line going to or from turbo.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Sometimes people will install the o-ring on the filter cap incorrectly and can have a pretty massive oil leak. What they do is get the o-ring up past the o-ring groove on the cap. If you had to reef on the cap to get it to seat, the o-ring is above the groove.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Turbo oil line is a good guess, look at the dipstick tube also. But yours seems too new to have that problem yet. did you check to see how low the oil actually is ? even just a quart of oil spread over the top of engine and dripping will look like gallons.

k98shooter

TDI
Well, hopefully I find soon. Towing estimate to my place from where the car broke down was approx. $400.So I opted to have it towed to an independent shop, which was 20 miles from where I left the car. According to the website, they specialize in Audi/VW, (JA Autowerks in Shrewsbury, NJ). Will update on diagnosis..

samarai

TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/ tech pkg.
John who owns JA Autowerks is excellent. I only used him when I had my Golf TDI, never saw the dealer. Good luck.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My money is on a mis-seated oil filter canister o-ring as well. It would spray oil as described, and fits with the recent oil change.

k98shooter

TDI
Indeed it turned out to be a leak from oil filter canister, due to incorrectly installed O ring - per John the owner. I feel embarrassed - same thing happened when I did DSG oil change fisrt time - the canister O ring against flange instead of its designated groove and I had massive DSG leak. But this was 8th oil change, and I should have known better. I am happy at the same time that it seems major damage was avoided. I am not sure how I am going to clean the mess in the engine bay, though. Thank you all for the inputs!!