rebuild or just f*ucken send it.

Turbo_B5

TDI
02 ALH Golf.
I got a 2002 with 460k~kms on the engine, originally from an auto. It’s got some mods (VNT17, 11mm ip, 216 nozzles, egr delete, 2.5in dp and exhaust) and just ordered a southbend stage 2 daily to prepare for a stage 4 Malone tune. The question I got is should I go through and spend the extra $200~ and re bearing+/-rering the engine while I’m doing the clutch or just f*cken send it? I already got a spare head gasket and bolts so That’s pretty much half the parts. It’s gonna see the track a few times for autox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
If it ain't broke.... don't fix it......sometimes you just open a can of worms.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If compression is good, no oil burning, etc., I'd leave the rings alone!

Rod bearings would be an easy job and while in there you can learn a little about the condition of the engine. If you see light to obviously red, well the bearings are shot and most likely other moving parts have suffered. But, my guess would be that the bearings are just fine, especially if the engine has been serviced according to specifications.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Looking at those strut towers I'd say that this car is in need of strut bushings, if not also struts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And that wrong oil cap would bug me. :)

When we tore down my ALH at 265K miles to refresh the head and replace bent rods the crank bearings were good enough that we didn't replace them.

It's more likely your valve guides and seals are worn than anything in the bottom end. But refreshing the head will be expensive, taking machine shop costs into account.

Turbo_B5

TDI
02 ALH Golf.
Looking at those strut towers I'd say that this car is in need of strut bushings, if not also struts.

I replaced the bushings 8k kms before I took the pic but yea the coilover shocks are blown fuc,k leaving puddles.

Turbo_B5

TDI
02 ALH Golf.
And that wrong oil cap would bug me. :)

When we tore down my ALH at 265K miles to refresh the head and replace bent rods the crank bearings were good enough that we didn't replace them.

It's more likely your valve guides and seals are worn than anything in the bottom end. But refreshing the head will be expensive, taking machine shop costs into account.

Threw that oil cap on cause it’s fancy and matches the valve cover. ?‍♀

Doesn’t burn any oil as of replacing the turbo iirc but I haven’t driven the car for 4~ months so I don’t really remember.

I guess I’m just gonna fu cken send it.

Turbo_B5

TDI
02 ALH Golf.
This is what I don’t wanna happen. Not sure the conditions in how it happened. Stock car at 394k kms. Turbo used abit of oil.