TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
OK... Count me in! Wanted a traveling/road car for my retirement years. 😁

Just picked up a 2006 E320 CDI. BUT! It will be my parts/donor car for another [2005] CDI that I am currently in the process of having shipped. Clearly, I figure to be busy. Stay tuned!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pretty much finished my restoration project: currently working out some fueling issues (common rails can be a big pain in the arse!).
Pics here: Saving the E320 CDI | Mercedes-Benz Forum

With a stage 1 tune this thing is a total beast. Ultimate cruiser.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Where did you have it shipped from?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The 2005 shipped from Michigan (the car was from Chicago and the owner had a friend who was a dealer in Michigan sell it for him). The 2006, parts car, I drove home (PNW car had lots of clean parts; body had been bashed up pretty good and the owner cobbled it back together- should have been totaled). 🤞

Last edited:

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
I sold my Mercedes-Benz diesel this fall, figured a 1975 W115 300D wasn't quite suitable for Montana winter driving.
My previous MB diesel was a 1988 300GD. Probably the most fun vehicle I've had, and definitely the one I miss owning the most.

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
I sold my BEW wagon with ~680k-km (I bought it new) due to rust issues from a bad VW rust warranty repair job. I kept an ALH sedan for winter service and bought a 2005 e320 CDI with 59,000miles. After years of highway commuting the noise gets to me so I wanted a quiet cruiser.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I sold my Mercedes-Benz diesel this fall, figured a 1975 W115 300D wasn't quite suitable for Montana winter driving.
My previous MB diesel was a 1988 300GD. Probably the most fun vehicle I've had, and definitely the one I miss owning the most.
That little gizmo is pretty cool. Was that imported?

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
The W460 was a Euro-spec rig that I bought in Alberta and imported. Had 7.5mm pump elements, SD314 injector nozzles, a Holset HX30, and a bunch of other mods I can’t recall off the top of my head.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I sold my BEW wagon with ~680k-km (I bought it new) due to rust issues from a bad VW rust warranty repair job. I kept an ALH sedan for winter service and bought a 2005 e320 CDI with 59,000miles. After years of highway commuting the noise gets to me so I wanted a quiet cruiser.
So, how are you liking your CDI? I'm still trying to resolve a fueling issue with mine: working out the "new car" bugs. BTW - You have almost the same array of vehicles that I have, though my truck is a Gen 2. 🙂

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
So, how are you liking your CDI? I'm still trying to resolve a fueling issue with mine: working out the "new car" bugs. BTW - You have almost the same array of vehicles that I have, though my truck is a Gen 2. 🙂
I haven't put a tank of fuel through it yet. It's been the winter project to get it caught up on maintenance and sorted out. The car has very low miles (59k miles) and appears to have a bad injector that I need to repair. I can't imagine owning one of these with a Xentry/DAS setup.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
zsink, if you haven't already take a look at the link on my car work: post 633. I've put a few thousand miles on mine so far. Also doing some finish work on it during the winter: bought it as a fair weather car only. I'm dealing with a fueling issue and once done I'm golden: all new injectors; new fuel rail and quantity control valve. I've managed to acquire quite a bit of knowledge in a short amount of time (BenzWorld is an excellent site/forum; not quite what this one is [which is hands down the best] but still good- moderators for the W211 forum are fantastic, one even owns a CDI]). My car is of varying mileage: the chassis has about 199k miles on it and was from Chicago (yikes!); engine somewhere between 150k and 175k miles I estimate; transmission is, I think, 220k miles. My car is pretty loaded; I'm thinking that maybe there were only three other options it did not come with: Parktronics and Panoramic roof, both I didn't really want anyway, and a wood steering wheel (were any of these heated? heated might be nice). Any older vehicle, no matter the mileage, still has things needing to be dealt with: entropy never stops.

I managed to get Xentry/DAS and have found it a must: I'll be relying on it to do data logging to nail down my fueling issue; I now think I know how to trigger the issue (I am awaiting to get back my ECUs which I had cloned- one for a spare and it might prove that my issue is related to the original ECU). My Foxwell NT510 is actually pretty good and had allowed me to do a lot with this car but Xentry/DAS is a whole nother level: guided diagnostics, with pics and such, is really nice. Anyway...

Feel free to contact me via PM.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
Does anyone here have a 2004-2005 E320 CDI? How maintance heavy are they? And would you buy a high mile one?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone here have a 2004-2005 E320 CDI? How maintance heavy are they? And would you buy a high mile one?
Depends on condition. No different than getting anything that's used- there's always unknowns. Not sure why you picked 2004-2005 as there were no 2004 CDIs in North America (or maybe just the US?). My understanding, from a US perspective, is that it's 2005-2006.

I've bought TWO high mileage CDIs. My "keeper," the 2005, had about 196k miles on it (see the video I linked below). The donor/parts car -"a 2006"- had 220k miles on it but the engine was a replacement (one of the rare cases in which an om648 had died- some quick lube place forgot to put oil in the original engine) and had less mileage (I estimate it at somewhere between 150k to 175k miles).

om648s are great engines and mileage matters little to them: have run across many listings of these cars with 400k and even 500k miles. HPFP is solid: CP3. Injector seals are about the only known weak spot and these can be managed with little effort (assuming things haven't gotten out of hand- Black Death [which had occurred on the original engine in my car]). Higher mileage ones will be facing the need to new injectors (or Bosch remans); this is just a fact of life with all Common Rail engines. Timing chains last almost the life of the engines. Intake swirl flaps and motors are also a bit of a problem but these can be readily dealt with: as I have engines pulled I decied to pick up an intake w/o swirl flaps in which case I don't have to worry about this. Here's how the engine I pulled from my car ran just before I pulled it with 197k miles:

Body and interior components are really pretty good on these cars. Note that my car came from Chicago and if you look at the pics you'll see that it held up remarkably well: it was, however, garaged but the owner likely didn't garage it at his work. The electronics is pretty typical German, ugh. Perhaps the biggest concern. I had to replace the control module on my passenger side Dynamics seat: easy job and a used module was cheap off ebay. Downside is CANbus. Upside is CANBus- good diag tools can dig out lots of info. Suspension bits aren't much different than with VWs- these MBs seem to chew up suspension bits just as readily: working on them is fairly easy and parts costs isn't bad. These cars also eat tires; not real bad but it's something to keep in mind; it's really the price of owning something like this; 16" tires aren't too costly (keep the stock rim/wheel size as this is important to retain the ride quality- if you butcher the ride quality then why would you want one of these cars? ride quality is the point!).

Regarding standard maintenance, really not a lot different than with the TDIs. I believe oil change intervals is even longer than with the ALHs: can also do everything top-side. More oil. More expense. Bigger engine: I've got mine tuned and it's really pretty quick and fast given it's a 3.2L diesel lugging around a large car like this. The 722.6 transmission is proven to be one of the best ones ever put on the road: only a 5spd but these diesels match up with them really well (no issues with hunting gears such as is common with newer slush boxes with gobs of gears). Electrical connector socket is an item that needs regular maintenance; a $25 part that is best replaced when changing trans fluid and filter (I think 60k miles is a good interval). The electrical conductor plates [transmission] are known to eventually fail; realtively cheap and easy to replace (I preemptively replaced mine while I was changing the fluide and filter; unlikely I'll ever have an issue with it).

My CDI has split/folding rear seats. Coming from a VW Golf I felt I really need to be able to have such flexability: stow gear and haul my big dog! I estimate that _maybe_ 10% of these CDIs came with this option: lots of gassers had them. Range is a good 700 miles. Fuel economy for me, so far, and this includes a bit of hammering on it to sort things out (car will hit 100 mph without a sweat), is about 35 mpg: I'm convinved that out on the open road I'll be able to do close to 40 mpg. With the ride comfort this is an amazing package; nothing else really out there can compare.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Depends on condition. No different than getting anything that's used- there's always unknowns. Not sure why you picked 2004-2005 as there were no 2004 CDIs in North America (or maybe just the US?). My understanding, from a US perspective, is that it's 2005-2006.

I've bought TWO high mileage CDIs. My "keeper," the 2005, had about 196k miles on it (see the video I linked below). The donor/parts car -"a 2006"- had 220k miles on it but the engine was a replacement (one of the rare cases in which an om648 had died- some quick lube place forgot to put oil in the original engine) and had less mileage (I estimate it at somewhere between 150k to 175k miles).

om648s are great engines and mileage matters little to them: have run across many listings of these cars with 400k and even 500k miles. HPFP is solid: CP3. Injector seals are about the only known weak spot and these can be managed with little effort (assuming things haven't gotten out of hand- Black Death [which had occurred on the original engine in my car]). Higher mileage ones will be facing the need to new injectors (or Bosch remans); this is just a fact of life with all Common Rail engines. Timing chains last almost the life of the engines. Intake swirl flaps and motors are also a bit of a problem but these can be readily dealt with: as I have engines pulled I decied to pick up an intake w/o swirl flaps in which case I don't have to worry about this. Here's how the engine I pulled from my car ran just before I pulled it with 197k miles:

Body and interior components are really pretty good on these cars. Note that my car came from Chicago and if you look at the pics you'll see that it held up remarkably well: it was, however, garaged but the owner likely didn't garage it at his work. The electronics is pretty typical German, ugh. Perhaps the biggest concern. I had to replace the control module on my passenger side Dynamics seat: easy job and a used module was cheap off ebay. Downside is CANbus. Upside is CANBus- good diag tools can dig out lots of info. Suspension bits aren't much different than with VWs- these MBs seem to chew up suspension bits just as readily: working on them is fairly easy and parts costs isn't bad. These cars also eat tires; not real bad but it's something to keep in mind; it's really the price of owning something like this; 16" tires aren't too costly (keep the stock rim/wheel size as this is important to retain the ride quality- if you butcher the ride quality then why would you want one of these cars? ride quality is the point!).

Regarding standard maintenance, really not a lot different than with the TDIs. I believe oil change intervals is even longer than with the ALHs: can also do everything top-side. More oil. More expense. Bigger engine: I've got mine tuned and it's really pretty quick and fast given it's a 3.2L diesel lugging around a large car like this. The 722.6 transmission is proven to be one of the best ones ever put on the road: only a 5spd but these diesels match up with them really well (no issues with hunting gears such as is common with newer slush boxes with gobs of gears). Electrical connector socket is an item that needs regular maintenance; a $25 part that is best replaced when changing trans fluid and filter (I think 60k miles is a good interval). The electrical conductor plates [transmission] are known to eventually fail; realtively cheap and easy to replace (I preemptively replaced mine while I was changing the fluide and filter; unlikely I'll ever have an issue with it).

My CDI has split/folding rear seats. Coming from a VW Golf I felt I really need to be able to have such flexability: stow gear and haul my big dog! I estimate that _maybe_ 10% of these CDIs came with this option: lots of gassers had them. Range is a good 700 miles. Fuel economy for me, so far, and this includes a bit of hammering on it to sort things out (car will hit 100 mph without a sweat), is about 35 mpg: I'm convinved that out on the open road I'll be able to do close to 40 mpg. With the ride comfort this is an amazing package; nothing else really out there can compare.
Thank you very much. I was unaware of the lack of the 2004 model. I just don’t want any ad blue or crap. Do they make them in 4matic? I plan on keeping my ALH but I plan on doing a big turbo and etc. I also like the luxury of the Benz and love the idea of having a comfy road trip car I can do 80+ mph and get good fuel economy.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The 2006/2007 (post-facelift) CDIs, om642 [v6], doesn't use DEF but it has, I think, a DPF. Later years then started using DEF. The om648 only utilizes an EGR/EGR cooler and CAT, same as with ALH TDIs; only additional thing is intake swirl flaps. I've never liked V diesels (sorry if that offends anyone); interestingly MB switched back to inline sixes in 2017 with the om656, which backs up my assertion that inlines are the only way to go: burdened by emissions crap but a cool engine; not available in North America (not in the US for sure).

The om648 with an off-the-shelf stage 1 tune will put out 234hp and 444lb-ft. It really makes the car a beast.

The later E-classes kind of cheapened out a bit. Handling is better and some of the bells and whistles are cool but the quality of matieral isn't like the W211s. And then there are the engine differences...

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
If I get one I want an inline 6. I was reading about the tunes and sounds like good fun and stock they are pretty quick with numbers that stand up even today. Not looking for a race car but there is something really fun about accelerating up a hill. I am really becoming a sucker for German engineering and comfort.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keep in mind that these weren't inexpensive vehicles back in the day. My car was over $58k USD, which would be about $91k USD in today's dollars. Yes, I get it that innovation and features of today's vehicles actually get you more for your money but there's also added longer-term costs associated with that: kind of a draw. New parts are getting scarce: I was unable to buy a new charge pipe to mixing chamber gasket, had to buy an aftermarket kit (like $70) which the vendor was having such gaskets made for; has also taken me a LONG time to find a new siren (alarm), cost is about $200- they have on-board batteries which eventually decay and destroy the circuit boards (ones in BOTH my cars were bad; you have to cut them open to find out- I had bought new batteries but the circuit boards were too far gone).

Having completely dissembled one of these cars I can say that they're built rather well. No idea how they compare to like-era Japanese comparables but as I told my brother, the Japanese cars just don't have a soul like these do. But the bottom line is: You gotta pay to play. For me the only way to justify having one of these is to do all the work on them myself (something that I've been doing with my TDIs for many years now).

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep in mind that these weren't inexpensive vehicles back in the day. My car was over $58k USD, which would be about $91k USD in today's dollars. Yes, I get it that innovation and features of today's vehicles actually get you more for your money but there's also added longer-term costs associated with that: kind of a draw. New parts are getting scarce: I was unable to buy a new charge pipe to mixing chamber gasket, had to buy an aftermarket kit (like $70) which the vendor was having such gaskets made for; has also taken me a LONG time to find a new siren (alarm), cost is about $200- they have on-board batteries which eventually decay and destroy the circuit boards (ones in BOTH my cars were bad; you have to cut them open to find out- I had bought new batteries but the circuit boards were too far gone).

Having completely dissembled one of these cars I can say that they're built rather well. No idea how they compare to like-era Japanese comparables but as I told my brother, the Japanese cars just don't have a soul like these do. But the bottom line is: You gotta pay to play. For me the only way to justify having one of these is to do all the work on them myself (something that I've been doing with my TDIs for many years now).
More than happy to do my own work. If I pick one up it will be in a couple years. It will likely be a third car and will be my summer daily/ fun car. I honestly love the ideas of these cars. Not sure how many of these made it into canada there are currently none for sale in my provence.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Hm. I was looking at the article on IDparts website on tunes and it sounds like Jeffs rocket chips tune is the best but he's a hard guy to get a hold of these days. Along with the other one mentioned in that same article has a dead link.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Be careful with the valve cover on that car. Those are long gone.
Had to chuckle. I'd tried ordering from you guys and eventually gave up (but I still manage to order stuff for my CDI from you- nearly everything for my TDIs has/does come from you). It was the same for everywhere else.

Valve cover on my engine (the one I went with) had been oxidized toward the back (due to owners losing/discarding the underhood water deflector). This is why I was searching for a replacement. Ended up (as noted in the pics of my car on BenzWorld) having it powder coated. Everything was so clean and sharp I had to do it: not going to going around this block again- I'm too old to be doing this!

I have a spare engine (see post #544, the video; bad head- GP hole) in which case I have lots of parts. Undecided on what I'll do with this engine.

Hm. I was looking at the article on IDparts website on tunes and it sounds like Jeffs rocket chips tune is the best but he's a hard guy to get a hold of these days. Along with the other one mentioned in that same article has a dead link.
Probably so for canned tunes. Best, if possible, is to work with a custom tuner: see https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/burpod-tuning.527860/ for an example of why. And if you really want to push things check in with Black Smoke Racing: I am keeping this open as a possible option if I want to bump power even more (with no hardware mods); these guys are the premier om648 performance folks, nobody knows/does them like these guys do (they race a drift car with an insanely modified om648).

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Had to chuckle. I'd tried ordering from you guys and eventually gave up (but I still manage to order stuff for my CDI from you- nearly everything for my TDIs has/does come from you). It was the same for everywhere else.

Valve cover on my engine (the one I went with) had been oxidized toward the back (due to owners losing/discarding the underhood water deflector). This is why I was searching for a replacement. Ended up (as noted in the pics of my car on BenzWorld) having it powder coated. Everything was so clean and sharp I had to do it: not going to going around this block again- I'm too old to be doing this!

I have a spare engine (see post #544, the video; bad head- GP hole) in which case I have lots of parts. Undecided on what I'll do with this engine.

Probably so for canned tunes. Best, if possible, is to work with a custom tuner: see https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/burpod-tuning.527860/ for an example of why. And if you really want to push things check in with Black Smoke Racing: I am keeping this open as a possible option if I want to bump power even more (with no hardware mods); these guys are the premier om648 performance folks, nobody knows/does them like these guys do (they race a drift car with an insanely modified om648).
I have a burpod tune on my ALH and love it. I told him he needs to get on CR tuning before I get my CDI so he can tune it for me.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd be IN for that as well. The Black Smoke Racing guys figure they can safely get about 270 hp out of the om648 with stock components: pushing any more here and you have to do some hardware changes (stock intercoolers are first things that have to go). My preference is to deal with someone in North America.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I am a stone MB Diesel fanboy. Have had a W115 and two W123, all with the OM617. One of the W123 was a 300CD, a rare one. Now have a 2008 E320 Diesel, the last year before DEF. My 300CD with 360k miles sold on CraigsList to a lady who Greyhounded down from NYC to get it and drive it home.

I replaced my 300CD with a VW JSW with TDI and I could kick my own arse. I so miss the CD.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
I am a stone MB Diesel fanboy. Have had a W115 and two W123, all with the OM617. One of the W123 was a 300CD, a rare one. Now have a 2008 E320 Diesel, the last year before DEF. My 300CD with 360k miles sold on CraigsList to a lady who Greyhounded down from NYC to get it and drive it home.

I replaced my 300CD with a VW JSW with TDI and I could kick my own arse. I so miss the CD.
I have been reading about the CDI’s more now I really want one lol. That will be a purchase I make when I have a big boy job. They are very rare in these parts.