Particulate Filter replacement $$

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Ask what the 'DPF ash loading' number is. Mine was 108ml @ 120k miles, which means mine is 65% full.

There are some places that clean truck DPFs, but I haven't seen anything here that says that VW DPFs can be cleaned like that.

I've seen 2 dealer DPF replacement costs posted on this site in recent months, and they were for $2200 and $2400, the latter being near me in MI. That included 10 hours of labor. So check around for a better price if it's the DPF.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
From what I've seen, a straight pipe + tune = same price of a replacement DPF. So I'm not sure what my choice would be. I like the 'clean' of 'clean diesel.'

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Clean schmean. Matter is neither created nor destroyed. Same stuff different location. So when Hollywood blows up stuff in a movie and creates all that smoke, do you complain? Why not? But you do when its someone's vehicle?
If that is what you want to do, great. But don't make the rest of us do it. Thanks for the high diesel prices!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Clean schmean. Matter is neither created nor destroyed. Same stuff different location. So when Hollywood blows up stuff in a movie and creates all that smoke, do you complain? Why not? But you do when its someone's vehicle?
If that is what you want to do, great. But don't make the rest of us do it. Thanks for the high diesel prices!
Dude, lay off the weed and read my post. It's not about you. :rolleyes:

(reminds me of a Carly Simon song....)

I love the fact that I never smell my own car. I never smell the exhaust when I back out of my garage, or when I'm idling in drive-thru. It's a nice feature to me. This is a web forum. I'm voicing my opinion.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
So the whole world should just toss their emission control devices? Go to China and breath the clean air there and then repeat your rant.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I love the fact that I never smell my own car. I never smell the exhaust when I back out of my garage, or when I'm idling in drive-thru. It's a nice feature to me. This is a web forum. I'm voicing my opinion.
I have the same opinion and will go the dpf replacement if/when needed. My 2010 is at 147K miles and the dpf is going strong (knock on wood!).

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
From what I've seen, a straight pipe + tune = same price of a replacement DPF. So I'm not sure what my choice would be. I like the 'clean' of 'clean diesel.'
You can't have both bro, either you want a straight pipe with a bigger turbo and it's gonna smell or you stay stock and stay clean, lay of the weed, more for me, :confused:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Had another CEL (have been P0401s). Dealer says DPF bad- $5100 to replace parts and labor. I am trying to get more info. 2010 Sportwagen, 95kmiles. VW America says they will not help. about 10k miles ago the same code led to the replacement of some type of flow regulation valve at the turbocharger. I ahve been getting this code intermittently for a while and have feared this coming. I am going to ask for codes and more information.

Anyone know alternatives to clean the filter? Anyone know more reasonable cost shops to get this done in Southern California?

Thanks.

Here is a company that cleans DPF for $500. Regeneration.com LLC is the company.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Here is a company that cleans DPF for $500. Regeneration.com LLC is the company.
http://www.dpfregeneration.com/

Just pulled up the website and since it makes no mention of VW diesels, I called (800-634-3010). They are in the process of adding VW to the list on the website and have been doing some already. The person I spoke to said that they do not cut the filters open but clean them as close to original specs as they can. If this is your only car, they do offer a 24 hour turn around time. Their normal price is $495 but she said to mention this post and they'll do it for $400.

Of course, this does not include the labor to both remove and reinstall the DPF or shipping.

I have no affiliation with this company and can't answer any questions beyond what I already posted.

JohnQPublic

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sporwagen
Thanks. Only problem is that you have to get the DPF out of the car to send them! This means if the dealer is even willing to entertain this, they will still want to drop the subframe. If I could find a reliable shop that works on VW TDIs near me, this might be an option.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Thanks. Only problem is that you have to get the DPF out of the car to send them! This means if the dealer is even willing to entertain this, they will still want to drop the subframe. If I could find a reliable shop that works on VW TDIs near me, this might be an option.
Wouldn't it be better for them to send you a cleaned DPF filter so you can swap them, and then have you send yours back?

I also like the Clean aspect of my diesel. When my warranty expires, I will likely get a Malone 1.5 (?) tune without the DPF delete, install a 2Micron filter, drive more and worry less.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Wouldn't it be better for them to send you a cleaned DPF filter so you can swap them, and then have you send yours back?
The lady I spoke to above brought this up as not being an option before I could ask. I assume that it is related to the cost of buying a bunch of new or salvaged DPF and warrantying their workability.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
As to having them cleaned.....what someone needs to do is get a couple of used DPF's from some wrecked cars, and offer them to fellow forumites as "pay-it-forward" cores. I did something similar on another part for a different make car on a different car forum. Here is how it works....someone needs to have their DPF cleaned, they contact the current used core "holders", pay a core price that also covers shipping to the cleaners, have them send it to get cleaned, when the filter cleaning company is done cleaning it, they pay the cleaning charge and it gets shipped to the new person. They then replace their old, ash-laden filter, which is then ready for the next person to "rent-to-own" to have sent for cleaning, and the whole process can repeat itself over and over.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
interesting idea I would be in on that if a group want dot try it.

As to having them cleaned.....what someone needs to do is get a couple of used DPF's from some wrecked cars, and offer them to fellow forumites as "pay-it-forward" cores. I did something similar on another part for a different make car on a different car forum. Here is how it works....someone needs to have their DPF cleaned, they contact the current used core "holders", pay a core price that also covers shipping to the cleaners, have them send it to get cleaned, when the filter cleaning company is done cleaning it, they pay the cleaning charge and it gets shipped to the new person. They then replace their old, ash-laden filter, which is then ready for the next person to "rent-to-own" to have sent for cleaning, and the whole process can repeat itself over and over.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Exactly. Makes perfect sense, let's do it.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
I have a spare DPF (in fact complete system) if anyone wants it for around packaging/shipping cost. Shipping from Canada to USA may not be cheap, though.

Out of a 2010 Golf at 87000km (54000 miles). Do not know ash loading number, my commute is 40km (26mi) highway, half hour each way. Replaced by Rawtek/Malone2 a month ago, no known faults with the OEM system

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
da.hs,

Perhaps someone can find a Canadian company that does DPF cleaning that would be interested in having spares-for-swaps.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
That is a good idea. We two of them one 09 and 10 and above. I'm guessing the Passot is different.

JohnQPublic

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sporwagen
Just so you are aware. What I am being told is that VW America is no longer making the DPF available. They have a new design, and the DPF is integrated differently in the new emissions system, so I am told I need to buy a whole new assembly (EGR+DPF+Catalytic converter)! I.e., they figured out how to fix the problems, but now I have to pay 2-3x the amount for the repair with no help from VW America. Talk about bad customer service! And this is after a premature failure to start with!

The dealer says that VW America is not making the DPF filter itself available any more for replacement.

The new assembly cost is around $4500 itself.

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
If that's true, then it's DPF-delete for me if/when the time comes.

However, dealer information is often suspect, so we'll have to see how this develops.

I have a hard time believing VW would force this $4500 replacement on all of the existing CR TDIs out there, when the DPF is a part that WILL need to be replaced at some point in each of these cars.

If VW does......there's the possibility that some aftermarket manufacturer will fill the void by creating a replacement DPF. Or cutting/cleaning/re-welding old DPFs will develop.

JohnQPublic

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sporwagen
If that's true, then it's DPF-delete for me if/when the time comes.

However, dealer information is often suspect, so we'll have to see how this develops.

I have a hard time believing VW would force this $4500 replacement on all of the existing CR TDIs out there, when the DPF is a part that WILL need to be replaced at some point in each of these cars.

If VW does......there's the possibility that some aftermarket manufacturer will fill the void by creating a replacement DPF. Or cutting/cleaning/re-welding old DPFs will develop.
Our DPF failed at 95k miles. We have been getting P0401 codes for quite a while. The last repair (under warranty) for this code led to changing a valve in the turbocharger.

My Dealer is Cardinale Volkswagen in Corona, CA.

DPF delete is difficult in California. I would not be able to register the car (without some form of fraud).

JohnQPublic

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sporwagen
A letter to VW America

Hello Mr. Higgins, Martell, and Freidson:

I am an owner of a 2010 TDI Jetta Sportwagen. I love the car, though there have been some problems.

We have been having P0401 (EGR) errors (I haven OBDII a reader), and have been taking our car in to fix issues related to it. The last time we took it in they changed a turbo-charger valve.

Recently I took our car in were told that the diesel particulate filter (DPF) was bad. The car had about 95,000 miles on it. From the internet, I see there is an issue with the DPF, and that it has been redesigned. This is good. Because the redesign led to a change in configuration, the new DPF is not compatible with the older emissions system.

We are being told that first, our DPF is no longer under warranty. Second that they cannot just change the DPF, but need to change the entire emissions assembly (EGR+DPF+Catalytic converter) because VW is not making the old part available. The cost is $5400. This is crazy. You have designed a bad part, and because you change the configuration I am now required to change the entire emissions system due to a bad DPF?

I am asking you to help replace the emissions system. We have done all our factory maintenance at our dealer (Cardinale Volkswagen, Corona, California). You can look up our car using our phone number reference (-------). I have been complaining about P0401 codes for a long time, probably even before 80,000 miles.

Do not give the VW brand a bad name. I will be posting this letter on the internet. Do the right thing and stand behind your design and design changes, even if it costs you some money.

XXXXXXXX...

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Just so you are aware. What I am being told is that VW America is no longer making the DPF available. They have a new design, and the DPF is integrated differently in the new emissions system, so I am told I need to buy a whole new assembly (EGR+DPF+Catalytic converter)! I.e., they figured out how to fix the problems, but now I have to pay 2-3x the amount for the repair with no help from VW America. Talk about bad customer service! And this is after a premature failure to start with!

The dealer says that VW America is not making the DPF filter itself available any more for replacement.

The new assembly cost is around $4500 itself.
This is old news. If you have a 2009 it came from VW with a 1 piece DPF/CAT. The 10+ have a two piece. But even if you could still get the old 1 piece style, if would cost the same as the newer 2 piece because you would be buying a new cat either way. Either you somehow got a very early '10 that has a 1 piece (I've only seen them on '09s) or the dealer doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm leaning towards the later. ;)

JohnQPublic

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sporwagen
This is old news. If you have a 2009 it came from VW with a 1 piece DPF/CAT. The 10+ have a two piece. But even if you could still get the old 1 piece style, if would cost the same as the newer 2 piece because you would be buying a new cat either way. Either you somehow got a very early '10 that has a 1 piece (I've only seen them on '09s) or the dealer doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm leaning towards the later. ;)
I do not think it is an early '10. I guess this is just the way it is then. Why is the redesigned system falling apart prematurely I wonder?

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
i just had my CO emissions done at local Denver shop that only deals in Diesels (mainly trucks) but employees seemed very knowledgable and nice.
so while waiting around i asked few questions about DPF
he looked up and VW dealer part price was $1120 plus about 4-4.5hr or labor ($95 shop rate which is very reasonable) so about $1500-1600 total, its actually not too bad for brand new OEM VW PFD, but if i can get mine cleaned out for under $500 i might go that route and save myself around $600. when the time comes to do so at least, I'm still at 94K as of today

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
he looked up and VW dealer part price was $1120 plus about 4-4.5hr or labor ($95 shop rate which is very reasonable) so about $1500-1600 total, its actually not too bad for brand new OEM VW PFD
Thanks for that info. Interesting that you were quoted 4-4.5 hours. tadurkee was quote 10 hours, keeping her car for 2 days. That included the cat and maybe an EGR valve as well (?)....a couple other things besides the DPF anyway.... But I wouldn't think those things would add that much extra time if you're already in there deep enough to pull out the DPF.

I'd be more content to pay $1500-1600. $2200-$2400 that I've seen here is more of an 'ouch' that makes you reconsider diesels.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$1500 would be at the level of my wife asking "Why did we buy these money pits?"

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
$1500 at 250k miles (and a new car at 500k) is not that bad. Actually, I don't think that I would want the same car for that long. :)