www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

View Poll Results: Which AMSOIL?
Premium API CJ-4 Diesel Oil (DEO) 100 28.25%
European Car Formula Motor Oil (AFL) 254 71.75%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:03   #2191
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mickey View Post
Mobil 1 does not have any approval from VW according to their own data sheet. They do have other synthetic oils under the Mobil 1 banner. I didn't look up all of them. But Mobil 1 is "approved" by Honda/Acura and in limited GM applications.
They also list two other GM specs as being "Approved by MOBIL". (Their words.)
Come on.....game over. Move on.
-mickey

Mobil1 makes a lot of products. You must be looking at the wrong data sheet. My position is not that amsoil is lying, but rather that they are very deceptive in their marketing. Giving the impression that they have VW approval when in fact they do not.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:10   #2192
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Here's a wild and crazy theory: Is it possible that the VW list you looked at isn't complete?
Is it possible it was published before Amsoil was approved?
Have you ASKED Volkswagen?
Or is it just more comforting to believe that voices come out of burning bushes and that Amsoil is the work of the devil?
Seriously. It's approved. There was no second shooter on the grassy knoll. Armstrong DID walk on the moon.
-mickey
It's possible amsoil did recently get approval. But they have been using the same deceptive language suggesting they had approval all along.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:12   #2193
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Mobil1 makes a lot of products. You must be looking at the wrong data sheet. My position is not that amsoil is lying, but rather that they are very deceptive in their marketing. Giving the impression that they have VW approval when in fact they do not.
How many data sheets does Mobil 1 have?

Look at ANY oil from ANY manufacturer and tell me it's "approved" for all car makes. "Manufacturer approval" is unusual. They all say the same thing Amsoil says: "Meets the requirements of......"

Deceptive in their marketing? No they're not. They say exactly the same thing everyone else does. At no point has Amsoil EVER claimed to be "Manufacturer approved" when they're not.

It's just oil. You may not like multi-level marketing. (Neither do I.) But guess what? If you buy Mobil 1 from your local part's store its passed through multiple hands, each of which marked it up. Same thing.

If you think Amsoil is "deceptive" then prove it.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:13   #2194
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

And I have no plans to sacrifice anybody on the anti amsoil altar. In fact, I have a quart of amsoil European car 5w40 in the back of my car right now.

Last edited by turbobrick240; June 23rd, 2017 at 16:21.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:14   #2195
New Mickey

Quote:
It's possible amsoil did recently get approval. But they have been using the same deceptive language suggesting they had approval all along.
I have a bunch of old Amsoil bottles in my garage. I've been though this debate before. NONE of them claim any manufacturer approval that they don't have. They "meet the requirements of...." Just like everybody else.

This is the first time I've ever seen Amsoil claim actual Manufacturer Approval. On what basis am I to assume they're being "deceptive"? (i.e. "lying.")

-mickey
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:19   #2196
New Mickey

Another example: Castrol Edge 5w30. "Meets or exceeds industry standards", and lists VW specs among the "standards." "Trusted to perform by" Volkswagen, among others.

NO CLAIM WHATSOEVER that it has any "Manufacturer approval."

-mickey
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:25   #2197
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Another example: Castrol Edge 5w30. "Meets or exceeds industry standards", and lists VW specs among the "standards." "Trusted to perform by" Volkswagen, among others.

NO CLAIM WHATSOEVER that it has any "Manufacturer approval."

-mickey
You might be looking at the wrong Castrol 5w30. Take a look at mobil1 ESP 5w30. Clearly 507 approved.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:26   #2198
New Mickey

Here is the official Volkswagen of American Technical Bulletin listing oils that meet VW 507.00

NOWHERE does it suggest that any of them are officially "certified", and it also says that these oils are AMONG those that are GENERALLY AVAILABLE in North America. (Ever tried to buy Amsoil in an auto parts store? It's not "generally available.)

VW says straight up that this isn't an exhaustive list even of "generally available" options.

https://www.anciravolkswagen.com/blo...d-Oil-List.pdf

Bizarrely, Volkswagen says it's a list of oils "generally available in North America", then immediately qualifies that with the disclaimer "some may not be available in North America." A brief perusal of the list shows that MOST of them are not generally available in North America. (Unless you think Petro China can be bought at Auto Zone.)

Has anyone ever sat down with a VW engineer and asked about this stuff? If so, did he respond with a "who cares" look and suggest you get a girlfriend?

"Certified"....LOL! That is a meaningless marketing term, just like all the others. Amsoil is as "certified" as any of them.

-mickey
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:30   #2199
New Mickey

Quote:
You might be looking at the wrong Castrol 5w30. Take a look at mobil1 ESP 5w30. Clearly 507 approved.
You are correct, sir. VW 507.00 approved. Just like the Amsoil product. Same words.

I was talking about Mobil 1. Not ESP. And I was listing the "approvals" as part of my general thesis that "approval" or "certification" is rare for ANY brand of oil, even if those words actually mean anything. I never claimed that no Mobil products are approved by VW.

But Amsoil, of course, is lying. Mobil is not. Because.....ummm.....why, exactly?

Face it: European Car Formula 5w30 is APPROVED BY VW. Based on exactly the same evidence as any other product. Until proven otherwise.

-mickey
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:32   #2200
New Mickey

And Amsoil users are supposed to be the "cult" in this scenario....LOL! Whatever.

-mickey
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:32   #2201
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

It may well be approved, but I don't think that language implicitly states that it is.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:35   #2202
New Mickey

Further bizarre, contradictory VW info: Take a look at their OFFICIAL list of "some" of the oils that are "approved" for 507.00. HALF OF THEM ARE 5w40!!! Yet elsewhere they say that only 5w30 is okay. (Or sometimes 0w30, depending on where you look.)

If VW doesn't even know then who are we to even bicker about it? Seriously. If you're putting Amsoil on trial the judge has to at least be able to cite the applicable statute.

-mickey
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:39   #2203
New Mickey

Quote:
It may well be approved, but I don't think that language implicitly states that it is.
Perhaps "MANUFACTURER'S APPROVALS" in bold print means something different in your language? Especially when called out separately from the rest of the list of specs, none of which are in bold print or use the word "approval."

They use THE SAME EXACT LANGUAGE as everyone else.

I suggest you take a few days to let his gradually sink in. It can be a culture shock when the gates are first opened. Decades of firm believe that no Amsoil product can possibly be approved.....and then it IS.

You're like Newton having an Einstein moment. Time and space no longer make sense. It's kind of dizzying.

-mickey
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:40   #2204
New Mickey

Whatever, dude. I'm done. It's approved. Don't believe it if you don't want to. I may be an atheist, but I've got better things to do than to argue with true believers. Live and be well.

-mickey
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:47   #2205
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

My Amsoil 5w40 European car formula has manufacturer approvals for BMW longlife-04, MB 229.51, and Porshe A40. It is recommended (not approved)for VW 502/505.01 and GMdexos2.